IGNORED

Is This Legal - Marking Ball with Toe of Putter?

ChetlovesMer
Note: This thread is 1544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From RoG 2019 Definitions:

Mark

To show the spot where a ball is at rest by either:

This is done to show the spot where the ball must be replaced after it is lifted.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

1 hour ago, Zeph said:

There's no penalty for accidentally moving the marker as long as it is replaced. I don't see why a moved marker is easier to replace than a club.

That is true under the 2019 Rules.  Prior to that, however, if a player accidentally moved the ball marker, and wasn't in the process of marking and lifting or replacing the ball, he was penalized.  This is old Rule 20-1, and clarified in Decision 20-1/5.5.  The risk of having the putter move or fall while the ball was lifted would be enough reason for serious players to avoid doing that.

I just searched and found the old Decisions here: https://golfcanada.ca/app/uploads/2015/03/DOTRO16-FINAL-Golf-Canada.pdf

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

That is true under the 2019 Rules.  Prior to that, however, if a player accidentally moved the ball marker, and wasn't in the process of marking and lifting or replacing the ball, he was penalized.  This is old Rule 20-1, and clarified in Decision 20-1/5.5.  The risk of having the putter move or fall while the ball was lifted would be enough reason for serious players to avoid doing that.

I just searched and found the old Decisions here: https://golfcanada.ca/app/uploads/2015/03/DOTRO16-FINAL-Golf-Canada.pdf

Dave, did you just send out a 744 page document without mentioning what page you were referencing? Are you expecting me to READ? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Decision 20-1/5.5

I believe that's the part you should read.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

I believe that's the part you should read.

Yeah, I read it. But it was a whole lot of scrolling there. A page number would have made it a lot easier.... just saying. 

23 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Dave, did you just send out a 744 page document without mentioning what page you were referencing? Are you expecting me to READ? 

As @iacas mentioned, I did send you to the correct decision, and they do run in numeric order.  But if you scan through, you might learn something that you didn't intend to learn, and that's never a bad thing.  Of course, the thing you might learn isn't in effect any more, but still....

When I went through, I realized once again how many different things could happen to a ball, or a ballmarker, on the putting green, and how they were handled differently.  We may not approve of the idea that a player can be a bit careless, accidentally move a ball or marker without penalty, but it definitely is less complicated under the 2019 Rules.

To be honest, I always try to give a link to my source.  We see enough misinformation about rules (see earlier in this thread re the PGA Tour) that I'm happy to have my facts checked by others.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

3 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Yeah, I read it. But it was a whole lot of scrolling there. A page number would have made it a lot easier.... just saying. 

As it is a pdf why didn't you do a pdf search for '20-1/5.5'  ?

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

As @iacas mentioned, I did send you to the correct decision, and they do run in numeric order.  But if you scan through, you might learn something that you didn't intend to learn, and that's never a bad thing.  Of course, the thing you might learn isn't in effect any more, but still....

When I went through, I realized once again how many different things could happen to a ball, or a ballmarker, on the putting green, and how they were handled differently.  We may not approve of the idea that a player can be a bit careless, accidentally move a ball or marker without penalty, but it definitely is less complicated under the 2019 Rules.

To be honest, I always try to give a link to my source.  We see enough misinformation about rules (see earlier in this thread re the PGA Tour) that I'm happy to have my facts checked by others.

You know I'm just giving you crap, right? 

Of course I can READ, I went to Chicago Public Schools. …..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

You know I'm just giving you crap, right? 

Of course I can READ, I went to Chicago Public Schools. …..

You giveth, and I returneth :beer:

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

cmd-f dude.

And I still have the 2018 Rules of Golf app on my phone. I wonder when that'll stop working…

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 10/23/2019 at 10:28 PM, Missouri Swede said:

It would speed things up if you’d livestream your golf rounds. You know, get call-ins about rules violations. 

LOL 😆 Hard laughing at this. between all of rule violations and swing advice being tossed at me if I did this I wouldn't make past the 1st hole.

• Like 1

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

8 hours ago, Zeph said:

There's no penalty for accidentally moving the marker as long as it is replaced. I don't see why a moved marker is easier to replace than a club.

Keep in mind, this statement is only true for a ball on the putting green. If clubhead is used to mark the ball not on the green and someone shouts "fore" and you look up, breaking contact between clubhead marking the ball and the ground, then you are done one shot penalty under R9.7b.

• 3 months later...
On 10/26/2019 at 4:04 PM, Asheville said:

Don't make things up. Unless you can prove it . . . it's rubbish.

Check the link below.  Not rubbish

200130-david-feherty.jpg

On the eve of the Waste Management Phoenix Open, David Feherty told the story of how he once got penalized for using a hotel room key as a...

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, denkea said:

Check the link below.  Not rubbish

Your original quote was present tense: "That IS a PGA Tour rule." Something that may not have even happened decades ago.

Again: "That is a PGA tour rule.  You can't use the toe of your putter during PGA tour events. But with USGA events you can."

You've not proven anything.

Er, Feherty's reference to an elephant turd now being a permitted ball marker is not true under the current rules - a ball marker is an 'artificial object'. I hope he is not carrying one around in his bag.

Note: This thread is 1544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!