IGNORED

MGS Personal Launch Monitor Review

Note: This thread is 1614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

2019 PERSONAL LAUNCH MONITOR BUYERS GUIDE

What a horribly done article. Basic facts like what data is given, what OSes are supported for the apps, etc. are not even right. They miss out on the fact that the Mevo supports speaking of your stats. They rate the accuracy of the SkyTrak so highly but point out that it doesn't work in bright weather or under bright lights… the list goes on and on.

FWIW I'm testing the Rapsodo (works only outdoors, supposedly, but I hit a few 10-yard shots today that were just fine), and I have a SkyTrak and a Mevo, and for me, I'd take the Mevo every day over the SkyTrak if I'm looking to practice my game. No, the Mevo doesn't give spin axis (but wait), but that's about the only thing I'd take on the SkyTrak over the Mevo. Factoring in the cost, especially.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

2019 PERSONAL LAUNCH MONITOR BUYERS GUIDE

What a horribly done article. Basic facts like what data is given, what OSes are supported for the apps, etc. are not even right. They miss out on the fact that the Mevo supports speaking of your stats. They rate the accuracy of the SkyTrak so highly but point out that it doesn't work in bright weather or under bright lights… the list goes on and on.

FWIW I'm testing the Rapsodo (works only outdoors, supposedly, but I hit a few 10-yard shots today that were just fine), and I have a SkyTrak and a Mevo, and for me, I'd take the Mevo every day over the SkyTrak if I'm looking to practice my game. No, the Mevo doesn't give spin axis (but wait), but that's about the only thing I'd take on the SkyTrak over the Mevo. Factoring in the cost, especially.

Yeah but doesn't the mevo require the little dots?  No spin axis data, requirement of little dots and precision in lining up the ball just right, and (I think) no support for software like TGC/JNPG/etc. sounds like the mevo still has a long way to go.  Of course the SkyTrak is far from perfect though too.

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Yeah but doesn't the mevo require the little dots?  No spin axis data, requirement of little dots and precision in lining up the ball just right, and (I think) no support for software like TGC/JNPG/etc. sounds like the mevo still has a long way to go.  Of course the SkyTrak is far from perfect though too.

I don’t use dots, and the point of a Mevo isn’t to be a sim. It’s also 25% the cost of just the SkyTrak never mind the subscription, the cage, the software licenses for the sims, the PC, etc.

The point, anyway, isn't to compare the launch monitors per se… it's to shed some light or warn folks about a pretty badly written article that misses on a bunch of basic facts.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Yeah but doesn't the mevo require the little dots?  No spin axis data, requirement of little dots and precision in lining up the ball just right, and (I think) no support for software like TGC/JNPG/etc. sounds like the mevo still has a long way to go. 

You really only need the dots indoors. Even hitting into a net outdoors, I haven't found that they're 100% necessary. If you're on the range, you don't need the dots at all. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

30 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

You really only need the dots indoors. Even hitting into a net outdoors, I haven't found that they're 100% necessary. If you're on the range, you don't need the dots at all. 

Well that's good for outdoors at least.  And, if you're hitting outdoors, then you don't need spin axis.  I practice most of the time indoors in my garage though.  It's amazing how the tech has come along.  I've had my GC2 for a few years now and hopefully the tech will keep advancing and prices on these LMs will get more reasonable over time.  

• Administrator

Just wait a few months.

I don’t use the dots at Golf Evolution either.

I find it strange that they rate the RAPSODO so high considering the fact it provides "minimal" data and only works outdoors (or possibly indoors if provided enough room behind the ball). Personally, I've been looking to buy one of these and its lack of data takes it out of the conversation.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I am very much in the market for a personal launch monitor, but I would never consider MGS as a reputable source for review/evaluation, for launch monitors, or any other equipment.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Note: This thread is 1614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!