IGNORED

Weight training?

Chilidipper
Note: This thread is 5919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

People work VERY hard to get big bulky muscles and big bicepts. You wont get them by accidentally training too much or by doing the wrong things, so the threat of getting them big and it throwing off your swing is a moot point.

Everything works together as a unit. That's why there is no particular muscle you can work to make you drive further. like theres nothing you can strengthen to throw the whole unit off. I think we've all seen the pee wee highschool kid out drive the big guy on the course.

Work out to live longer so you can play golf longer and thats what you get. work out to get huge and bulky, thats what you get. results wont come by accident. If you dont train right, they just dont come at all.

I'd focus more on food too. Thats the biggest thing.

just my 2 cs

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

I do A-level pe and it has inspired me to come up with a golf specific work out, I am going to do some detailed research in to the perfect golf work out, and also the perfect golf diet and when I do I will post my results.

I look forward to reading more about this from you. please keep us updated .

whats in my bag,

Driver- 975D 7.5*
3 wood- 975F 13*
Irons- 2-pw Acushnet Tungsten AC-108'swedges-58* 64*putter-bag- staff I know its huge, but I dig it " I am McLovin"

I do A-level pe and it has inspired me to come up with a golf specific work out, I am going to do some detailed research in to the perfect golf work out, and also the perfect golf diet and when I do I will post my results.

Quick update - 90% of my coursework is now out of the way, in the next couple of days I can most likely start looking in to this properly, how ever I have been looking in to nutrition quite a bit so might be able to post something about diet maybe in the next week.

JaY_B

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

heavy weights and low reps build bulky muscles. you would not want to do that for golf. im not a sports fitness expert by any means but I do know that advice is wrong. also, a risk of joint injury is increased when using a high % of your max lifting weight

heavy weights, low reps, lots of stretching and no fixed machines. concise eh.

oh medicine ball, clock squat, forearm rotations, wrist curl, plank, push ups etc etc lemay - my advice was wrong eh? i think you will find that it is bang on. heavy weights and low reps build strength - you aint going to wake up one day and go oh dear my muscles are too big to play golf - low reps and big weights do not greatly increase bulk they increase muscle density why comment if you dont know?

to each his own but i know from experience your info is wrong for golf. more weight puts more stress on your joints, which can lead to injury. and yes, heavy weights and low reps build more bulk muscle rather than lean muscle. sure you can make gains faster with low reps and heavy weight, but is that beneficial to golf if you play everyday? no. by no means am I saying lifting a 45 lb barbell 10 thousand times is better than lifting say 225 lb for 3 reps, but i do beleive that reps in the 8-12 range are better for building lean muscle which has been proven to accelerate a golf swing, while maintaining flexibility.

obviously anything is better than nothing.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

can i read some of your work? please post

a credible source for me is an interview with tigers trainer and himself. he seems pretty legit

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

Quick update - 90% of my coursework is now out of the way, in the next couple of days I can most likely start looking in to this properly, how ever I have been looking in to nutrition quite a bit so might be able to post something about diet maybe in the next week.

A big failure here on my part, just been hit with another load of coursework (History and PE - this work might interest some on here so might possibly post some of it up)

Apologies but in the next two weeks I should have some good, solid information available
lemay - my advice was wrong eh? i think you will find that it is bang on. heavy weights and low reps build strength - you aint going to wake up one day and go oh dear my muscles are too big to play golf - low reps and big weights do not greatly increase bulk they increase muscle density

I feel the need to say that while the theory is not incorrect (I will not call it correct either), the application to golf is flawed, as you should know (seeing as you claim to have a training programme designed for golf) pure strength is not the key to a good golf swing, or hitting the ball a long way. Seeing as your advice was not "wrong" would you be able to tell me the exact muscles we should all be working in order to improve our swings? or maybe what movements all our joints do in the downswing, for example what type of joint is a human shoulder blade, and based on that what is the particular movement the 'joint' has to perform in order to complete the downswing (it is a ball and socket joint and has a combined movement of Flexion and Extension on the downswing, before you google it!). Using the training method of low reps and high weights to improve a golf swing, and the distance you hit the ball is absurd to say the least. Yes there should be an element of strength training in any good golf training programme, but it should not be the main factor of your programme.

There seems to be a certain level of ignorance in your post, to me it sounds like you have googled a 'good' training regime without any knowledge of what you are talking about, and as a result made a bit of a fool of yourself when someone who knew better made issue of what you said.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

can i read some of your work? please post

where is the interview? it sounds like a good read. I'm still interested in what Jay_B has coming, I'm not sure anyone has devoted their entire program from start to finish on golf. I'm sure if he nails it, it has book potential all over it. one that I would buy. keep up the good work Jay_B.

whats in my bag,

Driver- 975D 7.5*
3 wood- 975F 13*
Irons- 2-pw Acushnet Tungsten AC-108'swedges-58* 64*putter-bag- staff I know its huge, but I dig it " I am McLovin"

the interview / article was the mens fitness where tiger is on the cover and the full spread he did in golf digest a couple months back (he is on the cover). his trainer hinted on what he did.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

the interview / article was the mens fitness where tiger is on the cover and the full spread he did in golf digest a couple months back (he is on the cover). his trainer hinted on what he did.

thanks for that. I will try and find that a little later. BTW how do you like your Bobby Jones driver?, seen one a couple of weeks ago and thought about putting a bid in, but hadn't really talked to anyone who has done anything with one.

whats in my bag,

Driver- 975D 7.5*
3 wood- 975F 13*

to each his own but i know from experience your info is wrong for golf. more weight puts more stress on your joints, which can lead to injury. and yes, heavy weights and low reps build more bulk muscle rather than lean muscle. sure you can make gains faster with low reps and heavy weight, but is that beneficial to golf if you play everyday? no. by no means am I saying lifting a 45 lb barbell 10 thousand times is better than lifting say 225 lb for 3 reps, but i do beleive that reps in the 8-12 range are better for building lean muscle which has been proven to accelerate a golf swing, while maintaining flexibility.

Let's break this down...

"more weight puts more stress on your joints, which can lead to injury" = probably true. You shouldn't be working at or near maximums without a solid history of weight lifting. However, it should be clear that maximum means your maximum PERFECT rep. and yes, heavy weights and low reps build more bulk muscle rather than lean muscle. = WRONG. Low reps do not build muscle mass, they build strength. but i do beleive that reps in the 8-12 range are better for building lean muscle which has been proven to accelerate a golf swing, while maintaining flexibility = wrong. acceleration is a function of the ability to contract quickly. Low rep workouts are designed to create maximum acceleration. Did you know Olympic weight lifters have 40+ inch vertical leaps? And "lean muscle" is a misnomer. All muscle is lean (or it wouldn't be muscle!). You can have muscle that has enhanced density (built from low rep workouts or muscle that is larger that has the same strength level. Power athletes increase muscle mass then increase density to gain maximum power.

to each his own.

from Mens Fitness............

• High-Rep Weight Training: This program features higher reps (often 25 to 50) and submaximal weights, rather than the sets of 6-12 reps with heavier weights favored by bodybuilders and others trying to add size. "We're working for balance, control, endurance, and speed," says Kleven.

Woods lifts to enhance his entire body, with a specific emphasis on the back and shoulders ("Because we're always hunched over and we need our back muscles to support our posture and our swing," he says); legs ("That's the platform for everything"); and chest ("Yes [I bench-press], but I don't like it. I do it to change it up, to shock the muscles. I just do it to get that muscle group stronger. I'll hit 'em from different angles with different types of machines or free weights. I do different things so the muscles don't get accustomed to doing the same thing all the time.")

Right now, Kleven says, Woods' lifting level is "off the charts." He wouldn't talk specific weights but said Woods recently reached new highs. "His endurance and strength allows us to do more reps at high levels [of weight] than normally seen in a golfer. His resistance for high reps is extremely high."

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

to each his own.

wow pretty much says it all right there doesn't it?

whats in my bag,

Driver- 975D 7.5*
3 wood- 975F 13*

Check out 'Get Yourself in Golf Shape' by Cindy Reid. Utilizes some weights, and will build the foundation that you will need to begin supersetting in the way that Tiger is. The biggest problem for many will be going directly to Tiger's routine without building the proper foundation.

David C. Cleveland

In My Bag:

Driver: Big Bertha 4603 Wood: Big BerthaHybrid: Rescue Dual 3 19 degreeIrons: Big Bertha 2006Wedges: x forged mdPutter: 33 inch Natalie center shaftedBall: HX TourHome Course: Wellshire Golf Course, Denver, COVisit my musings at...

Note: This thread is 5919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!