IGNORED

Does Golf Do Enough to Help Beginners?

Papa Steve 55
Note:Β This thread is 1497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I think there are a lot of other better ways to introduce golfers to the game.

They should be encouraged to tee up every ball. They should be able to play with larger golf balls and maybe even to a different kind of target on the green - maybe a thing that's attached a few feet up on the flagstick that can be dropped down and the ball is considered "holed" when it hits it. They should get to throw the ball out of any bunkers if they want. Stuff like that.

This.

A beginner is best introduced to golf by a patient experienced golfer. It makes their chances of surviving beginner golf and getting enough self sustaining interest go up exponentially.Β 

It improves even further if the 'mentor' gets them to learn it properly through a teaching pro.Β 

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

A beginner is best introduced to golf by a patient experienced golfer.

I would add a good instructor early, if not before stepping on the course. I played golf for years getting pointers from some old dude in a hard collared shirt every once in a while. I didn't take instruction serious until I needed to take the PAT. Just think, I could have been Tiger. Golf can be intimidating to a new person because they just don't know the particulars. Not just how to swing a club, but rules, etiquette, fixing a ball mark, so I agree getting with someone who is patient and willing to share their knowledge goes a long way.Β Β 

Β :tmade:Β Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid.Β :ping:Β G410 FairwayΒ Β :titleist:Β 5-AWΒ Β :vokey:Β 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade:Β Spider Tour X putter

:snell:Β MTB Prime X,Β :adidas:Β Tour360 22

4 hours ago, GolfLug said:

This.

A beginner is best introduced to golf by a patient experienced golfer. It makes their chances of surviving beginner golf and getting enough self sustaining interest go up exponentially.Β 

It improves even further if the 'mentor' gets them to learn it properly through a teaching pro.Β 

Agreed. Just started 6 months ago and the teaching pro literally saved me. Having someone mentor you and show you the ropes if 100% a necessity for most. Golf is literally a game of millimeters (for example my lesson that I today he slightly corrected my grip on my driver and I went from shanking it 50 yards to the right to literally 100% straight down the fairway).

Your chances of surviving and enjoying the game is exponentiall higher with a coach, it's like that for most sports (golfs really the only sport I know where the whole "i'm a man I can just figure it out on my own" ego gets thrown around a bunch)Β 

16 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Start up cost is always going to be a factor, but I think courses have to innovate beyond that to grow the game.

Innovation is probably bigget issue than star up cost. Most of my adult friends spend ungodly amounts of money to play adult league hockey and tennis.Β 

The last sport I competed in (MMA) gym fees for just my gym alone was $180 a month. The moreΒ casual hobbiest/weekend warriors would do $150 for just BJJ only and then pay anywhere form $80-130 a tournament which literally consistent of them doing 2x 8 minute rounds (talk about poor return for your money lol)Β 

I actually find Golf to be one of the more affordable adult sports to be honest. Innovation is key, most younger people view golf as just "a boring old person sport", "white person only"Β Β or view it as a "snobby private school sport"Β 

Edited by TussinMan

7 hours ago, TussinMan said:

I actually find Golf to be onae of the more affordable adult sports to be honest. Innovation is key, most younger people view golf as just "a boring old person sport", "white person only"Β Β or view it as a "snobby private school sport"Β 

Compared to tennis or basketball it is infinitely more expensive. Free parks can be found everywhere with courts. I don't know of a single free golf course.Β 

As far as the second sentence, I agree. I recently went on a date, and when I mentioned that golf was one of my big hobbies, the mood changed completely. I believe she thought of golf as all 3 of the things mentioned. What a shame.Β 

• :titleist:Β 917 D2 9.5oΒ EvenFlow blue shaftΒ  Β Β :titleist:Β 917 F2Β 15oΒ EvenFlow blue shaftΒ  Β Β 
  • :titleist:Β 818 H2 19oΒ EvenFlow blue shaftΒ 
  • :titleist:Β 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey:Β 52/8oΒ SM6 RAWΒ  Β  56/14oΒ SM6 ChromeΒ  Β  Β  60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell:Β MTB-Black Balls

2 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Compared to tennis or basketball it is infinitely more expensive. Free parks can be found everywhere with courts. I don't know of a single free golf course.Β 

I was referring to prices on actually geninuely playing adult sports, not "I want to kill some time because i'm bored on a saturday and my wifes driving me crazy"Β 

The Tennis club near my houses is $175 a month and really nothing special. The adult basketball league is $85Β a month and gets you access to only the games, no practices or coaching included. Ice Hockey and MMA your looking at at least $200 a month. Even social beer leagues like co-ed kickball and co-ed flag football your looking at like $70-100 a month for a social league !!!Β 

Golf isn't free but at the same time it's not as bad as people make it out to be. There's not really any cheap adult sports in my area and inΒ my experience it's actually one of the cheaper ones to be honest (especially for the quality and value you can get per dollar)Β 

Β 

Edited by TussinMan

I didn't know you meant something sanctioned. My golf that I play is not sanctioned, and it is still pricey. If I want to play golf 3 times a week at different places, I am going to be paying 75 bucks or more per week (300 a month) and thats in cheap Ohio where rates are relatively low, and walking every round. Luckily we have municipal courses that offer a pass and variety where I am so I get a deal.Β 

What are the rates in your area for courses for 18 holes? Golf lessons are expensive. Golf clubs (properly fit to be competitive)Β  are very expensive compared to a bat and a mit, or a tennis racquet or any other equipment costs for these things you are talking about. Typically these other sports can be practiced with a cheap ymca or rec center membership or for free in local parks. If you are on an adult basketball team or know anyone that plays tennis, practicing/scrimmaging is free. To say golf is on the cheaper side of adult sports is missing the mark by a pretty substantial margin IMO. I could be wrong depending on where you live. I'm assuming that all of your sports prices scale like they do here.

How much golf do you play and what are the rates of the courses that you play?

I might be coming off as conforntational but I don't mean to. I just am trying to understand where you are coming from and why you think golf is cheap.Β 

• :titleist:Β 917 D2 9.5oΒ EvenFlow blue shaftΒ  Β Β :titleist:Β 917 F2Β 15oΒ EvenFlow blue shaftΒ  Β Β 

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

I might be coming off as conforntational but I don't mean to. I just am trying to understand where you are coming from and why you think golf is cheap.Β 

Yeah your kinda coming off as arrogant and I really don't appriciate it, especially this quote right here.

I did NOT state that golf is cheap (please don't be a lawyer and try to spin or manipulate what I said to exagerrate your belief).

I said compared to most adult sports it's actually not that expensive. In most cases it's either cheaper or higher price but better quality for the buckΒ 

People are ignorant on adult sport prices so there creating this fake narrative that golf is ultra exclusive/expense when in reality there's tons of adult sports that cost moreΒ 

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

To say golf is on the cheaper side of adult sports is missing the mark by a pretty substantial margin IMO

I literally worked 4 years doing invoices of adult leagues in the DFW chapter along with previously working at YMCA's/JCC community centers. I know the prices of literally every sports league in my area. Adult sports (especially the decent ones) are NOT cheap.Β 

No i'm not missing the mark, i'm actually just knowledgeable about the subject.Β 

2 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Typically these other sports can be practiced with a cheap ymca or rec center membership

For the price of my local YMCA membership I can join a players developement program through 3 different courses near my house and have unlimited range balls, 2 free group lessons a week, unlimited use of the 5 hole short course/short game area, and have 1 night a week of group 9 hole play at no extra charge. Where talking about a semi legitmate golf experience for the same price as joining a dated YMCA and doing some pick up games.......Β 

5 minutes ago, TussinMan said:

Yeah your kinda coming off as arrogant and I really don't appriciate it, especially this quote right here.

I did NOT state that golf is cheap (please don't be a lawyer and try to spin or manipulate what I said to exagerrate your belief).

I said compared to most adult sports it's actually not that expensive. In most cases it's either cheaper or higher price but better quality for the buckΒ 

People are ignorant on adult sport prices so there creating this fake narrative that golf is ultra exclusive/expense when in reality there's tons of adult sports that cost moreΒ 

I literally worked 4 years doing invoices of adult leagues in the DFW chapter along with previously working at YMCA's/JCC community centers. I know the prices of literally every sports league in my area. Adult sports (especially the decent ones) are NOT cheap.Β 

No i'm not missing the mark, i'm actually just knowledgeable about the subject.Β 

For the price of my local YMCA membership I can join a players developement program through 3 different courses near my house and have unlimited range balls, 2 free group lessons a week, unlimited use of the 5 hole short course/short game area, and have 1 night a week of group 9 hole play at no extra charge. Where talking about a semi legitmate golf experience for the same price as joining a dated YMCA and doing some pick up games.......Β 

Thanks for clarifying. I suppose in my location golf isn't as accessible or affordable as it is where you are. Sorry that I came off as arrogant,Β I just don't know of any golf programs near me that are similar to what you describe. I will say that our local muni pass is an incredible value, but other sports that I (or others I know) have been involved in don't carry the same type of cost that golf does in my area.Β 

2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Thanks for clarifying. I suppose in my location golf isn't as accessible or affordable as it is where you are. Sorry that I came off as arrogant,Β I just don't know of any golf programs near me that are similar to what you describe. I will say that our local muni pass is an incredible value, but other sports that I (or others I know) have been involved in don't carry the same type of cost that golf does in my area.Β 

Yeah no problem. I'm sure in more isolate area's that have lower competition/monopoly the prices are more aggressive

DFW not only has a ton of competition but the land is expensive so courses have to do anything possible to get high volume traffic along with enticingΒ young people/women to play (cheap range/player development memberships, free group lessons, heavily discounted tee times during weekday afternoons).Β 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I don't know of a single free golf course.Β 

I do.

6 hours ago, TussinMan said:

Chill, man. I don't see how a quote saying "I don't mean to and I'm just trying to understand you" comes off as arrogant. Sheesh.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

I do.

That's awesome! Where? That would be worth a trip just to be a part of something that good for the golf world.

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

Chill, man. I don't see how a quote saying "I don't mean to and I'm just trying to understand you" comes off as arrogant. Sheesh.

We already clarified that it was a regional difference and I even told him no problem for the misunderstanding.Β 

I don't even know why your even addressing this ?Β 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, TussinMan said:

We already clarified that it was a regional difference and I even told him no problem for the misunderstanding.Β 

I don't even know why your even addressing this ?Β 

Because it goes beyond the one instance. You’re going to have a rough time online if you take everything that badly.

I’m done now if you are. But it was worth mentioning.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

(edited)

My concern withΒ the $$ of golf is the start up cost. Its much higher than most other sports. Once you have your stuff, you can find economical ways toΒ play.

Edited by Papa Steve 55

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

My concern withΒ the $$ of golf is the start up cost. Its much higher than most other sports. Once you have your stuff, you can find economical ways toΒ play.

This is not necessarily true.

Hockey is expensive. Rock climbing can be expensive.

Etc.

• iacas changed the title to Does Golf Do Enough to Help Beginners?
36 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

One of the things I look forward to every year is my REI dividend reward. Backpacking can be very expensive.Β 

12 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I recently went on a date, and when I mentioned that golf was one of my big hobbies, the mood changed completely. I believe she thought of golf as all 3 of the things mentioned. What a shame.Β 

I would assume there is not going to be a second date?

Β :tmade:Β Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid.Β :ping:Β G410 FairwayΒ Β :titleist:Β 5-AWΒ Β :vokey:Β 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade:Β Spider Tour X putter

:snell:Β MTB Prime X,Β :adidas:Β Tour360 22

Note:Β This thread is 1497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!