IGNORED

Aiming Off Tee

Note: This thread is 1405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure this is possible. Can someone assist with how to position the body with relation to where you want the ball to go? 

I recently switched my grip. No more fade or slice(most of the time). Now that my grip has improved to in my fingers not palms I am no longer hitting a fade. Is it possible that a corrected grip can cause a new ball direction? 

I cannot seem to figure out how to address the ball to get the ball to the left without it being a pull. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

If you are looking to get the ball to go left without a pull, you need a path that is inside to outside. That, combined with a square to line face, will produce a draw. The easiest way for me to think of it is face produces starting line and face in relation to swing path produces the shape of the shot. If you are just dead pulling them, you most likely have squared your face to your path, but your path is outside to inside. If they mostly start where you want (we will call it straight), but sometimes it's a pull, you may have a very neutral path with the occasional closed face (possibly from too much hands). 

If you are looking for a draw, grip changes won't really help you get there, because it is the path (in relation to face) that determines shot shape.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The ball behaves as it must.  To move the ball right to left the back spin imparted must angle to the left...11/5 say...rather than 12/6.  Next time you are at the range; try playing some 1/2 to 3/4 shots with a mid-iron with the intent being to have the ball roll out to the left, or right, when it lands.  That will give you some idea of how little adjustment is necessary and an appreciation of why hitting the ball dead straight, every time, is practically impossible.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Thanks for the info. It is driving me nuts and I can’t seem to wrap my head around how my shoulders should be with relation to club face not to hit a fade but not to hit it out of bounds left now. 

This is the first time in my golfing adventures I have consistently been on the left side of a course. Prior to to I did not think this existed ha ha. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

On 5/13/2020 at 3:15 PM, jmanbooyaa said:

Thanks for the info. It is driving me nuts and I can’t seem to wrap my head around how my shoulders should be with relation to club face not to hit a fade but not to hit it out of bounds left now. 

• 1 – Ground Contact.
  • 2 – Face Contact.
  • 3 – Clubface Direction.
  • 4 – Club Speed.
  • 5 – Swing Path.
  • 6 – Angle of Attack.
  • 7 – Dynamic Loft.

Ok this clears it up a bit for me. It sounds like you've significantly changed your face angle. Keep in mind, that what your body does can be completely independent of ball flight. Your ball flight is created by 7 things listed above. How you get there is up to you. Lots of people have swing thoughts that relate to their body that will help with some of these things, but the club is what makes the shot, not the body. You are having a conflict with 3 and 5. 3 is the start line, and 5 compared to 3 will create some sort of shot shape. If they are on the same line at impact, there will be no curve. If the face is open in relation to path, the ball will fade. If the face is closed to path, it will draw.

Pulls are generally outside to inside swings with face and path direction being the same. Pushes are just the opposite (in to out with face being on the same line). Anytime the ball fades or draws, the face and path are not aligned.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Thank you. I may have changed up my take away without realizing due to the way I grip the club. Top 2 knuckles now show on my left had(right handed golfer) this may have changed my path on the down swing. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

• iacas changed the title to Aiming Off Tee
  • 1 month later...

What I would recommend is going to the driving range, and lay a club on the ground aimed 2-3 feet left of your target. Setup with your toes just short of the club on the ground. This way you'll know that your feet are aimed square to the target. When you get your feet set properly. hold your club across your hips and try getting the club to be parallel to the club on the ground. Do the same thing at your shoulders. This will help you learn to feel what it's like to have your feet, hips, and shoulders all aligned square to your target. It will also help you to develop the visual perception of what proper aim is - it's amazing how easy it is to think that you're aimed at the target when you're actually aimed 20 degrees in the wrong direction. 

Note that this is a good neutral starting point. There are some pros who align a bit left of the target, and some who align a bit right of the target. There are also some who may align their feet and/or hips and/or shoulders differently. I once watched an LPGA player on the range who had her hips aligned left and her shoulders aligned right (or perhaps vice-versa - it was almost 20 years ago :). What works best for you may take some time to sort out, but it's generally a good idea to start from a neutral position. 

Start with finding where they are now. Set up to a target. Put a club or alignment stick on the target line, against your heels and across your shoulders. They should be close to parallel.

After that if you are pulling the ball then club path and face are left of the target. To put the ball on the target line the face should be closer to the target line than the path.

This video helped me a lot with my alignment. I was definitely one of those that would have their front shoulder pointed much further right of the target

• Informative 1

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Note: This thread is 1405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!