IGNORED

My Swing (ShaftFarmer)

ShaftFarmer

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

Of course. The club's laid off at the top and the hand path doesn't support the club continuing on that path. They have to go left too early, so that torques the club out.

01.jpg

Yeah that makes sense looking at the hand path. Less laid off at top and hand path should look like it's starting more toward my right shorts pocket. Does having a more laid off club at the top just make you have to rotate more to get into a good impact position, similar to when the lead wrist is pointing to sky at top of backswing, like DJ?

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So you were on Evolvr-but now you are just asking for help here?

As a general note, people are more willing to give advice and help to people they know, so please, try to participate in other sections of the site. Get to know people and let them get to know you a little bit. You'll get more feedback and advice in your "My Swing" thread and make some online buddies in the process.

Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• Administrator
On 7/9/2022 at 1:20 PM, ShaftFarmer said:

Does having a more laid off club at the top just make you have to rotate more to get into a good impact position

No, it tends to flip the club over (laid off = shallow, so it has to steepen at some point).

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quick update. I think I'm on the right track. This is the first time in awhile I've looked at my full swing and actually liked what I saw. 

A couple things I was doing here that seemed to work for me:

1.  Straightening of right arm but feeling it straighten more "behind me". I realized when I slowed my swing down when I was making the straightening motion with my right arm, it would move more in front of the chest, essentially making a slight over the top move. The hands need to stay to the right of my sternum

2.  Still firing my lower body and trying to feel as though my feet are opening a jar. In my prior sessions I was paying no attention my lower body and therefore not turning my hips or chest enough through impact which is a must now that club is more shallow

The face around impact here looks a lot better. Seems to be much more stabilized and no more flipping motion. Only thing I don't love here is my right heel coming off the ground early in downswing, but probably not going to worry about that much at the moment. Also need to stop wearing sandals while swinging probably

• Thumbs Up 2

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

8 hours ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Only thing I don't love here is my right heel coming off the ground early in downswing

I think people have moved away from the planted right heel in the downswing.

This guy probably thinks it’s ok:

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I think you have to look at it in terms of rotation and weight shift. If the weight is far enough forward, and you turn enough with your hips, then I do not really think it matters what the back foot does. If keeping the right foot down helps the golfer in some way, with how their lower body works, then a drill to keep it down might be beneficial. 

Its all about, just because it doesn't look standard, doesn't mean it is actually harming the golf swing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Was able to get a range session in late last night for the first time in about a week. Things went okay. I think I'm continuing to progress with getting the club in a more shallow position in the downswing, but noticed that I didn't have near as much rotation as my previous upload. Need to get back to that. Another positive is my driver is starting to feel a bit better. I've found when I make sure to make full backswing and really feel like I get the right shoulder "around me" at the top, the swing feels much more natural. I was hitting some nice draws, albeit slight pulls.

It looks like my hips and upper body is more or less stalling around impact, which I think is causing my to early extend slightly. As you can see in the face on video, my lead foot actually leaves the ground just after impact. This was the only time I felt it this exaggerated so figured I'd post that one.  

Not sure if the arms are lagging behind and that's what's causing my rotation to stall around impact or what but will spend some time working on this in my garage today.

My Swing

Had a pretty decent range session last night. Just continuing on with the same stuff I've been working on for while. As I said last post, I think my club is in a much better position in the downswing (definitely more shallow than before) but still struggling with a slight casting move around impact. Evidently hands are still not coming down quick enough.

- (normal speed) Practicing the pump-drill move from the top and starting downswing by extending elbow down toward my right pocket. Both FO and DTL here.

- (slow-mo) FO pump drill

- (slow-mo) DTL pump drill

- (slow-mo) DTL full swing

- (slow-mo) FO 9-3ish swing trying not to cast. Doesn't look terrible but would like a bit more shaft lean

My Swing

Also, I think the reason I've been hitting off the toe a lot recently (although it has gotten a lot better in the last week or so) is due to my club face being too closed. I was doing some backswing mirror work yesterday trying to get my clubface angle to match the angle of my left wrist at the top and just couldn't do it without twisting the club for some reason. When I try and open the club face a bit more on my takeaway I tend to take it too much from the inside. Need to work on this feel while still keeping club outside hands on takeaway.

1537420317_ScreenShot2022-07-23at3_17_52PM.png.dbad3f49c228c4bc2f06d8486f1e1083.png

My Swing

1 hour ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Also, I think the reason I've been hitting off the toe a lot recently (although it has gotten a lot better in the last week or so) is due to my club face being too closed. I was doing some backswing mirror work yesterday trying to get my clubface angle to match the angle of my left wrist at the top and just couldn't do it without twisting the club for some reason. When I try and open the club face a bit more on my takeaway I tend to take it too much from the inside. Need to work on this feel while still keeping club outside hands on takeaway.

1537420317_ScreenShot2022-07-23at3_17_52PM.png.dbad3f49c228c4bc2f06d8486f1e1083.png

I think that’s more of a grip issue, if you want to match the clubface to the back of your left hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Something I've been working on a decent amount the last couple days is the 9 to 3 drill to help get my arms connected and eliminate my rotation from stalling through impact. I feel like this is good for teaching myself proper rotation as even though I'm not paying any attention to my rotation I can feel it much more than before.

Couple thoughts:

• Arms should stay relatively straight
  • Fast hands
  • Stay in side bend in follow-through

Really like having this setup in my garage. I feel like it allows me to focus more on feels without needing to worry about where ball is going

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

My Swing

Hope everyone's been well! It's been a tough/expensive couple of days having to deal with the health of a pet but I think things are trending in the right direction, thankfully.

I've been practicing a lot in the garage lately and was finally able to make to range last night. Lately, I've been working on making sure my arms and upper body stay connected and my arms don't continue after my upper body has stopped rotating on backswing. I think this help me stay more in-sync and help my rotation around impact and eliminate the stalling.

As far as the session I think it went pretty well. Definitely made some nice crisp contact but also was fighting chunks and some shots that had more of higher fade ball-flight and not that sizzle I'm looking for (although there was pretty heavy left-to-right winds so that could have played a part). I can tell the high fades happen when I don't turn through the shot as much and instead make more of a firing motion with my hands toward the golf ball.

I think I need to make sure I'm taking my time around transition and keep my hands to the left of my sternum until lower body rotation has started.

These swings here felt pretty decent but not amazing.

Still been trying to chase this rotation I caught on video a few months ago.

1042863573_ScreenShot2022-08-03at3_50_43PM.thumb.png.19c25ebbc49447c153fe7881ecb25c29.png

Good news is my wrists seem more stable through impact and seem to be getting shaft lean pretty consistently, but probably still a bit more is needed.

25730054_ScreenShot2022-08-03at3_52_27PM.thumb.png.ceaef07c775611aface02ccef2324208.png

My Swing

(edited)

Got a range session in last night. Contact was decent with my biggest miss being the chunk. Really trying to work on rotating through impact here to help my right wrist from taking over too much. 

This is a feel that I've been using for awhile now that I like a lot to feel the body rotation as well as the shallowing of the club. It's nice because this is just a natural motion for getting the club head to the ball and it helps ingrain the two main moves I'm working on. My only issue is I still haven't figured out how to properly activate this feeling with my lower body when swinging at a slower speed.

Shorter swing and trying to hold the release here a bit. Club is laid off a bit at the top and maybe coming in a bit steep, but was really focusing more on rotation here so I'm not super worried about that. 

I hit this a bit fat but impact position is starting to look much better I think

460859983_ScreenShot2022-08-09at9_36_56AM.thumb.png.8aa049ac4c3a544c435e36831907283e.png1956535959_ScreenShot2022-08-09at9_37_16AM.thumb.png.7d640a47e0f764ca603d33f87c40c205.png152257988_ScreenShot2022-08-09at9_37_36AM.thumb.png.d5960c475d57468e5ab506df6be34838.png

Edited by ShaftFarmer

My Swing

Had a solid range session last night. Contact was some of the best of the year, especially for the first 15-20 balls or so. Something that has really helped with my contact is making sure my hands/arms stay connected on my backswing. In previous videos I had noticed my arms continue moving in backswing after my shoulders stop rotating so keeping them in-sync helps arms not get too far behind my pivot. 

I've also noticed I'm not pulling the ball anymore which is something I have been trying to eliminate for 2 years now. It's really nice to see some progress here!

Hands are in a much better position at P6

1919201529_ScreenShot2022-08-17at9_26_54AM.thumb.png.f32b05fdb10f42b18bf85af1874c4007.png

Couple thoughts:

• Still not sure I'm getting quite enough weight shift around transition
  • Driver swing still doesn't feel quite right. Will probably start working more with that as I've been putting the driver on the side-burner while working on getting the hands down quicker
  • Might need to work on getting my chest over ball more on downswing ("eating the ball") but honestly not sure. Going to keep working on what I have been for now so I can really get this stuff ingrained

My Swing