IGNORED

My Swing (ShaftFarmer)

ShaftFarmer

I've been working on my new priority piece the last few days, which is getting the club to shallow out in the downswing

Super excited to be working on this but I know it isn't going to be easy. I'm just mostly trying to get the correct feeling at the moment as initially, I was leaving the arms back. Really trying to focus on throwing the club behind me while still getting arms down in the downswing. 

Are there any specific drills for this anyone has found helpful? Right now I've just been taking really slow swings. 

• Like 1

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I remember watching this video a few months ago and not really understanding it, but since I've started working on the feeling of shallowing the club on the downswing, this is EXACLY what I feel when I begin to add the rotation on the downswing.

Anyone else notice this?

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Finally got out to the range last night to work on getting the shaft on a more shallow plane on the downswing. I've spent a lot of time just working on the feeling by hitting foam balls so It was nice to finally take some real swings. 

Something else I've been working on a bit with this is getting my backswing to be a bit steeper and eliminating some of the wrist action I have. Very happy with those slight changes, maybe just a tad bit shorter backswing so my shaft doesn't end up "across the line" at the top. 

Overall, it was a pretty solid day at the range. Other than a couple shots I chunked, all of them were relatively straight. Maybe a very slight fade. 

This video is just a slow-motion shot of me trying to get the correct feeling on the transition/downswing

This is a full 7 iron shot

Still a lot of work to do but I think I'm on the right track! Need to continue to remind myself to ROTATE ROTATE ROTATE

• Thumbs Up 1

My Swing

Just wanted to compare the video from the other night and and one from a few weeks ago. Backswing is looking much better, but not too worried about that currently. The bottom row is my downswing, which is definitely starting to shallow out more 👍

shallow-timeframe.thumb.jpg.8b500e861fd3663de0fac34a22e4b5e3.jpg

Played 9 holes yesterday at a really nice course yesterday. Fairways felt amazing to hit from as it was super easy to take a divot. Greens were also very soft and was getting a lot of spin on shots ranging from chips to 180 yards out. The only issue was with my driver. Every shot was sliced pretty hard which is not normally my miss with that club (normally its a pull hook). I could feel I was leaving the face very open at impact. I think I need to work on getting the hands through more quickly as I think it's kinda "stuck behind me"

My Swing

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Played 9 holes yesterday at a really nice course yesterday. Fairways felt amazing to hit from as it was super easy to take a divot. Greens were also very soft and was getting a lot of spin on shots ranging from chips to 180 yards out. The only issue was with my driver. Every shot was sliced pretty hard which is not normally my miss with that club (normally its a pull hook). I could feel I was leaving the face very open at impact. I think I need to work on getting the hands through more quickly as I think it's kinda "stuck behind me"

Feel free to submit a video to Evolvr, but I would advise against going off on tangents and inventing new things to do, or asking for drills from others, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Feel free to submit a video to Evolvr, but I would advise against going off on tangents and inventing new things to do, or asking for drills from others, etc.

Just thought the little backswing change (slightly more steep) would help with my transition and getting the shaft more shallow on the downswing. I would guess that played a big part in in my driver slicing. I do feel like it helps me shallow out my downswing with irons at least, I could be wrong though!

Will get a driver submission up soon!

• Thumbs Up 1

My Swing

6 hours ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Just thought the little backswing change (slightly more steep) would help with my transition and getting the shaft more shallow on the downswing. I would guess that played a big part in in my driver slicing. I do feel like it helps me shallow out my downswing with irons at least, I could be wrong though!

Will get a driver submission up soon!

Try not to over think things. Be a stupid monkey and focus on your priority piece. Things are looking good in your swing.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quick update: This week I've been really busy with work so haven't been able to make it to the range since Monday but I have been hitting some foam balls in my garage. 

I'm definitely making progress on my priority piece which is shallowing my downswing a bit more. I'm hoping to get out to the range tonight and practice on some real golf balls. Currently my swing thought at transition is "throw the shaft behind me and away from the target". That is giving me some palmar flexion in the downswing but I think I could use a bit more around impact. Also still working a decent amount on rotating/extending through the ball, which was my previous priority piece.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Swing

Was able to get a couple a range sessions in the last few days so thought I'd give an update. I wasn't able to get to the range until later last night so I went through my bucket more quickly than normal as each day we're losing more and more light 😬. Also a couple of the videos are super exposed due to the light issue so it's difficult to see the shaft. 

These were hit with a 6 iron. The majority of my ball flights had a fade to them, which is normal for me. It looks like I'm not pulling quite as much as before but still not that "inside to out" swing path I would like. Also, I had the tendency to hit the ball a bit fat. Not sure but I think this may be to due to my arms not coming down quick enough. More throwing is definitely needed!!!

It seems like when I start my transition the club/shaft begins to shallow nicely but soon after starts to steepen again once I get to around P5 (left arm horizontal)

Also hit a couple drives with my last couple balls as my driver has been very inconsistent. I usually pull the ball really bad but this shot seems to be right on my target line which feels good (no idea where it went because It was too dark). Need to limit my head movement with the driver as @iacas pointed out. I seem to want to turn my head a bunch on the backswing. Also still getting too much across at the top of the backswing. Need to shorten that a bit.

Have a good day everyone!

My Swing

• Administrator

Looking better. Minimize that "forearms rolling over" as much as you can, but that's not a new piece - just something to do if you can do it without giving it much thought.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

IMHO, you are working on the wrong thing. Figuring out your hands would drop your handicap 10 strokes. You just have too much good going on in your golf swing to get ruined by flippy hands. I'd imagine iacas has some drills to help you get rid of the flip, ping him and see what he's got.

Here's you vs Tiger (best on a PC, zoom the browser out):

top.png.20c57d84c1e70d1f9636b771e164fedf.pngmiddown.png.7bff360fde5daf7c71e6daa751443fd3.png75down.png.b91ee9370e0cee6de095b96a68512a93.pngimpact.png.97569039354306362bbfb93652a61199.png

tigertop.png.116b0f8cceca604715d4a91ed021ca6f.pngtigermiddown.png.0635b4ea6df63ef5142bcb22d58960e7.pngtiger75down.png.8c371cc66c8eeb897bdf1b1cbaef3934.pngtigerimpact.png.63d2d29c67c2a6b9a28a675f2d855ea6.png

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, daSeth said:

I'd imagine iacas has some drills to help you get rid of the flip, ping him and see what he's got.

He’s working with me on Evolvr on the right thing.

• Administrator

By throwing the shaft the arms will come down sooner.

8 hours ago, daSeth said:

IMHO, you are working on the wrong thing. Figuring out your hands would drop your handicap 10 strokes. You just have too much good going on in your golf swing to get ruined by flippy hands. I'd imagine iacas has some drills to help you get rid of the flip, ping him and see what he's got.

I do appreciate the reply though! I was confused initially as well when starting this piece thinking it would cause more of a flip but due to the hands coming down quicker it's almost like now I don't even have time to "flip". 

@iacas wanted to get out to the range tonight but ended up raining. I should have something for you in the next couple days

My Swing

After 8 straight days of constant rain and having to hit balls in my garage, the sun has finally came out and was able to get to the range last night. 

Overall, it was another pretty solid day. Contact wasn't as consistent as my last range session (probably my best session this year) but I would imagine the week off played a part in that. I hit a few shots pretty fat but for most it was pretty solid contact with maybe a bit of fade. 

Things I was focusing on:

- Throwing motion at beginning of downswing

- Get right elbow in front on trail hip when doing the throwing motion

- I wasn't really paying much attention to my palmar flexion here but usually that is something I am conscious of. If I do the throwing motion correctly the palmar flexion should happen there

Also, I don't want to speak too soon but it looks like my "rollover" with my right wrist around impact has virtually gone away. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My Swing

• Administrator

Those look good.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, it's been awhile! I've been super busy the past year or so and because of that was only able to get out once last year, but this summer is looking much more open for me so decided to start this up again!

When I was last working with @iacas through Evolvr, I was working on throwing my hands more and getting in a more shallow position on the downswing so I don't have to "flip/rollover" my wrists as much, which is what I'm working on currently.

I've been out to range 3 times this year so just now starting to get the feel back but I was able to record some swings last time. During this session my swing thought was feel as if the hands are dropping straight down on the start of the downswing. While doing this I noticed the majority of my iron shots were basically pull fades, which I am trying to get away from. Also, my driver swing is in shambles right now for some reason. I'm hitting 80% off the toe and the swing itself just doesn't feel good. I think my lagging arms may be the reason for that feeling but not sure. 

This is a driver swing I recorded a few days before that I almost missed from toeing it so bad

Takeaways:

1. Arms still feel like they're getting caught behind me on downswing. I can especially feel this with my driver. I think I need to feel as though I'm throwing my arms more to start the downswing 

2. Not enough weight shift onto front side around transition

3. Backswing is a bit longer than I'd like

• Thumbs Up 1

My Swing