IGNORED

Iron Swing Question

Note: This thread is 1367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking for a tip or two on hitting irons better.

Basically what I've noticed is.. until recently I had been using my hands to help steer the clubhead into the ball on the downswing.  This seemed to be working, more or less, and I was generally able to brush the grass and make OK contact with the ball.  However, I ended up going to the range the other day to test some things and on a whim I re-visited something I saw in a youtube video years ago.  I remember in the video the guy said something along the lines of-- "at the top of your backswing, when the club is hinged... just pull the butt-end of the handle towards the ground".  I did this without trying to help steer the clubhead at all and the club REALLY whipped through the ball.  It would create a divot (like all the training videos say) and almost every contact this way had the awesome compressed/smash sensation with the ball, and of course the ball flew a bit further than it did the previous way.  So all of this made me think my previous technique is very off.  The immediate downside I've noticed is that accuracy went into the toilet, misses both left and right.  Again, this is without trying to steer the clubhead at all.  So this brings me to my question:

I think I'm on the right track with not trying to steer the clubhead so much, but I wouldn't mind some confirmation on that.  And secondly, is a certain amount of steering with the hands required, or should I be able to just adopt the proper grip and stance and execute the swing in such a way that I don't have to help steer the club at all and still hit shots precisely where I'm aiming?

I know it’s a suggestion many don’t want to hear ( read ) but without seeing your swing we’re all just grasping straws. I’m 51 so I didn’t grow up with golf using video at all. But I can say it’s eye opening to see what’s actually going on. Feel ain’t real and that’s a solid fact with the golf swing. 
Not necessarily a bad thing, but you may find that when you feel you’re ‘ yanking the butt of the club down’ it looks no different than your normal swing.  But if that feel is working for you, that’s fine but it’s better to actually diagnose your issue and know what you’re doing differently.

I think when you are consciously ‘guiding your club face’ to the ball you’re probably decelerating and losing power. Again, video can really be beneficial in diagnosing the actual issues so that you can start fixing the issue.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Video has transformed my swing over the last 18 months.  I really on it so much.  It's a bit of a hassle to set up at the range, but when you've got that data, it means everything. You can think you're doing X all you want.  You won't know until you see it in video.

• Like 1

Video would be nice I'm sure but all I have is a smartphone and no person or tripod to hold it.  I'm sure I'll tinker with it eventually.

I think the decceleration thing is probably spot on.  I've gotten better at not steering the club and my distances for each club jumped about 10 yards.

4 hours ago, Strandly said:

Video would be nice I'm sure but all I have is a smartphone and no person or tripod to hold it.  I'm sure I'll tinker with it eventually.

I think the decceleration thing is probably spot on.  I've gotten better at not steering the club and my distances for each club jumped about 10 yards.

Gorilla Tripod can clip right to your bag and do just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P1RSW5P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vzC-Eb7KX1J9N

Edited by Vinsk
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

12 hours ago, Strandly said:

I've been able to just use my bag as a tripod of sorts. I have a stand bag with a 14-way divider, so I just stand my phone on the dividers and lean it against the club in that slot and it works fine for me. It takes a little bit of maneuvering, but it does the job for now.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

12 hours ago, Strandly said:

You can buy an inexpensive tripod for your phone off Amazon.

On 6/25/2020 at 7:15 PM, Strandly said:

"at the top of your backswing, when the club is hinged... just pull the butt-end of the handle towards the ground".  I did this without trying to help steer the clubhead at all and the club REALLY whipped through the ball.  I

I don't really think of stuff like that.  For me, I set up with a bit of forward shaft lean at address, then I take the club to the top, and on the downswing, I just feel/envision a "hula hoop track" by which I can swing the club head down and through the ball.  I feel the club head travel down and through the ball, with the low point of the hula hoop out in front.

I remember using video to see what I could not feel what my hands were doing at the start of my downswing. That really connected the dots with me.  Also, one of the best videos I’ve seen is from Me and My Golf.  They have a series of videos available on YouTube.  They explain the swing very clearly (at least for me).  But having a PGA instructor video tape your swing then sitting down and reviewing each aspect of your swing from start to finish is also very beneficial.

2 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

I remember using video to see what I could not feel what my hands were doing at the start of my downswing. That really connected the dots with me.  Also, one of the best videos I’ve seen is from Me and My Golf.  They have a series of videos available on YouTube.  They explain the swing very clearly (at least for me).  But having a PGA instructor video tape your swing then sitting down and reviewing each aspect of your swing from start to finish is also very beneficial.

They are decent.

Athletic Motion Golf is better (in my opinion of course).

(edited)

Went to the range today and ended up positioning my phone in one of the pouches where I could get a shot of myself on camera.  It was indeed pretty interesting to watch.  I was bending my knees slightly before but on the video I still looked stiff as a board.  So I bent my knees much more like I had seen various instructional videos demonstrate.  It felt really, really weird at first and I thought for sure I'd chunk the ball non-stop but that never actually happened and I was hitting some nice slightly curving iron shots like the TV cameras trace during PGA events.  Anyway, there's more work to do with this new stance so I'll continue tinkering with that.  I'll try posting a video here when I hit the next wall that I can't figure out.

Edited by Strandly

Note: This thread is 1367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!