IGNORED

What's This Zipper Issue? (Golf Bag Side Pocket)

Note: This thread is 1401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've tried looking online at a lot of zipper repair things, but I can't even seem to identify what the issue is with this.  I figure a lot of people here know a lot more about these things than I do, so maybe someone can help me.  

Here's the context:  this is the zipper on one of the big side pockets of my favorite golf bag (that's why I put the thread in this forum).  The bag is still great even with this pocket rendered unusable, but I'd love to repair this zipper if it's at all possible to get a bit more room to store things.

Zipper7720.thumb.jpg.a71b1e0921e6699273304e367f716d28.jpg

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks like a couple of tracks popped out place. Have you tried just firmly zipping it back down over the damaged area?

5d56fd05d0e533b7a3ebfc2b25a3cca3_600x600

No More Zipper Mishaps Keep This In Your Pocket For Instant Repair! Do you have a number of clothing or...

Edited by Vinsk
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

It seems the teeth didn’t quite seam up on that part. I’ve had that happen with other different zipper products not my bag. What I do is up zip it down as far as I can then pull the sides up until the zipper gets to the bottom and I can rezip it. Usually works unless there are damaged teeth. 

• Informative 1

13 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Looks like a couple of tracks popped out place. Have you tried just firmly zipping it back down over the damaged area?

5d56fd05d0e533b7a3ebfc2b25a3cca3_600x600

No More Zipper Mishaps Keep This In Your Pocket For Instant Repair! Do you have a number of clothing or...

Yes.  I may end up getting the product you link to, thanks.

11 minutes ago, mclaren4life said:

It seems the teeth didn’t quite seam up on that part. I’ve had that happen with other different zipper products not my bag. What I do is up zip it down as far as I can then pull the sides up until the zipper gets to the bottom and I can rezip it. Usually works unless there are damaged teeth. 

I'll give that a try, thanks. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Okay, it appears there is a broken tooth on it.  I think it's more clearly visible here:

Zipper7720-2.thumb.jpg.5318673cadfd09b92c34301a59b89de3.jpg

-- Michael | My swing! 

• iacas changed the title to What's This Zipper Issue? (Golf Bag Side Pocket)

The zipper teeth are a continuous wire strand woven into fabrics.
When the wire breaks, I've had some success cutting the wire where it protrudes out and then glue the fabric to keep it from folding.
You could also try replacing the pulls with 2 way pull

Remove zipper stops to re-install the slider. If the slider has become misaligned or has been pulled completely off of the zipper, use needle nose pliers to gently pull the zipper stops off of the material to facilitate re-installation.

Move the slider above the damaged area to zip all remaining teeth together. If the slider encounters difficulty getting the first few teeth moving through, lubricate the zipper teeth by rubbing with a bar of soap and use a straight pin to push teeth through the slider opening.

Sew a new zipper stop above the damaged area with a needle and thread. To install a reliable zipper stop, oversew both sides of the track with a minimum of 8 stitches, keeping them as tightly together as possible. If the area missing teeth is large enough to create an opening below the new zipper stop, over sew the entire track below the new zipper stop to create a uniform and professional appearance.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

Okay, it appears there is a broken tooth on it.  I think it's more clearly visible here:

Broken tooth? I know just the guy:

506492371_MartinDentist.GIF.6e2871a78be0967828ef13324c3bf816.GIF

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

19 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

The zipper teeth are a continuous wire strand woven into fabrics.
When the wire breaks, I've had some success cutting the wire where it protrudes out and then glue the fabric to keep it from folding.
You could also try replacing the pulls with 2 way pull

Thank you.  I need to do some reading to figure out what these mean.  If I am understanding you correctly, I might break the existing zipper and reset it with the top just below the break?  The break is very high up on the pocket (the pocket is the big one that goes the length of the bag), and the two pieces would meet in the middle (although I'd likely most often just keep the upper part closed.

-- Michael | My swing! 

1 hour ago, mclaren4life said:

You’re better than I am. At this point I’d just get a new bag. 

Oh, I've gotten new bags since I got this -- this is my second ever golf bag, and I've thrown out bags I got after this one.

Even without being able to use this pocket (and the zipper broke years ago, it only dawned on me recently it might be fixable) it's still great.  I love where the clubs go in and how it organizes them and it has enough pockets otherwise.  The issue lately is bringing even more water bottles to the course because the ability to refill at and on the course is gone.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 1401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!