IGNORED

Looking for Help Identifying a Washington, DC Area Course

Note: This thread is 1286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am trying to collect logo balls from courses I played in the past. I'm hoping someone can help me identify a course I played many years ago in the DC area. What I remember is that the 10th tee was on top of a big hill, and your drive would go far because of the height. I don't remember much else except that I don't think it was a very upscale course. Does anyone know of a course like this. This was about 20 years ago. If so could you please reply or email me - daroland1@gmail.com. Thanks, Dan

9 minutes ago, anaveragehacker said:

I am trying to collect logo balls from courses I played in the past. I'm hoping someone can help me identify a course I played many years ago in the DC area. What I remember is that the 10th tee was on top of a big hill, and your drive would go far because of the height. I don't remember much else except that I don't think it was a very upscale course. Does anyone know of a course like this. This was about 20 years ago. If so could you please reply or email me - daroland1@gmail.com. Thanks, Dan

Saying a D.C. area course doesn't really narrow things down, were you actually in D.C., Virginia, or Maryland, this may help identify it if you know.

Gus
---------------

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pretty certain it was in Maryland. I don't remember a lot about it. But that 10th tee way above the fairway sticks in my mind because I had to leave after 9 but drove 2 balls on the 10th first just to see how far they would go.

Public or private?

The course that comes to my mind having a tee box way up high is Whiskey Creek, but I don't think its #10.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

• iacas changed the title to Looking for Help Identifying a Washington DC Area Course
On 7/22/2020 at 10:03 AM, dsc123 said:

Public or private?

The course that comes to my mind having a tee box way up high is Whiskey Creek, but I don't think its #10.

Based on @anaveragehacker saying he didn't think it was an upscale course and the fact that he left after 9 leads me to believe that it wasn't Whiskey Creek, don't think anyone would pay that rate and just leave after 9. 

The only other courses that come to mind that I can remember having an elevated tee on 10 are Musket Ridge and maybe Little Bennett, but can't fully remember #10 there, and they are around Frederick, MD, so not sure if he would have been that far west.

But either way, it's all a guessing game as there are a lot of courses around the area.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gus
---------------

It was definitely a public course. It definitely wasn't as far as Fredricksburg. I'm pretty sure it was Maryland.  I know this is long-shot. But just hoped this 10th tee might ring a bell with some one.

Also this was at least 20 years ago, so that makes it even tougher. Many courses have gone under or been renamed since then.

The University of Maryland has a downhill #10.  But the green is 37 yards below the tee--its not like you're up on a mountain looking down.

Your best bet to find an answer is to ask it here:

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Thanks for responding. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. It wasn't like hitting off the top of a mountain, it was just a very elevated tee box. 37 yards is possible, but I would definitely remember playing at UM. So I know that wasn't it.

#1 at Northwest Golf Course, which used to be #10, has maybe a 20 foot drop from tee box to fairway.

This is like a riddle without the clues, but I'm hooked

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

• iacas changed the title to Looking for Help Identifying a Washington, DC Area Course

I'm sure I've never played in West Virginia. Also wasn't a par 3. Otherwise would have been best possibility so far. Here's something else I remember. walking to the parking lot from the 10th tee, there were a lot of tall trees around and the the small-ish lot was all in the shade. 

In fact it seemed like the course was pretty much in the woods. I remember of lot of OB woods, Can't remember much else. Just after hitting 2 balls off the 10th tee  then running to my car with my clubs up a small hill because i was late and my wife was not going to be happy.

Was it Greystone in Whitehall MD?  I believe the 10th hole used to be like that, but it’s now the 1st hole when they switched 9’s.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

This could be the course. The 1st tee box looks right, as does the walk to the parking lot and the shade. I don't recall the course being this nice, Would you happen to know if the course was upgraded? Or maybe got new owners. 20 years is a log time, so I realize that's a tough question.

Never played Greystone, but that was built in 97 and intended to be a private club.  I wouldn't expect it to have been in poor shape 20 years ago.  Its also north of Baltimore.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

In a lot of the courses I'm looking at, they have a lot of evergreen trees. I remember that the course and parking lot had regular leaf-bearing trees, and at least one of the front nine holes had woods on both sides. It wasn't a bad course, just one of those older ones that the facilities were kind of old looking.

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 1286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!