IGNORED

Handicap Question

darthweasel
Note: This thread is 1386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If I am playing a serious rounds with friends, would this eliminate me from recording it for handicap purposes:

I typically chip with a PW but to improve I believe I need to use a higher lofted club to get it stopped quicker. However, at the moment I am more likely to chunk or blade it. It is my understanding that for handicap purposes I should try for the best score possible. long-term I believe being able to chip with the 50, 55 and 60 degree wedges I carry will let me be on average closer to the hole but today I will be closer to the hole on average with the PW or 9i. So if I use say...my 50 degree on the second hole, 60 degree on the 12th, can I still record it for handicap purposes or does making a sub-optimal tactical decision invalidate it for that purpose?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No.  You’re supposed to post all rounds played that otherwise meet the qualifying conditions...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Post it, as long as you are playing by the rules, and trying to score.  Now if you were hitting 4 or 5 chips with different clubs on a number of holes, essentially practicing on the course, that would disqualify the round from being posted.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

9 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Post it, as long as you are playing by the rules, and trying to score.  Now if you were hitting 4 or 5 chips with different clubs on a number of holes, essentially practicing on the course, that would disqualify the round from being posted.

Does this mean you can’t post a round even if you do a bit of chipping after you’ve completed the hole? I’ve done this when I’ve had slow groups in front of me.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

37 minutes ago, darthweasel said:

long-term I believe being able to chip with the 50, 55 and 60 degree wedges I carry will let me be on average closer to the hole but today I will be closer to the hole on average with the PW or 9i

Others have already answered the HDCP question, but I would like to address this. Typically the further your target (landing point), is from you, the less accurate you become. A 50 degree or stronger/longer is best for chipping, assuming you have the space to do so. This video is a pretty good representation and demonstration of how the average golfer thinks and how to correct it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

18 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

Does this mean you can’t post a round even if you do a bit of chipping after you’ve completed the hole? I’ve done this when I’ve had slow groups in front of me.

The Rules of Golf specifically allow you to practice on or near the green once you've finished playing it.  As long as you're playing within the Rules of Golf, you should post your score, subject to a couple of other requirements.

I was thinking more of a player dropping a few balls and hitting a number of chips before he had holed out, that's not allowed under the rule.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

No, that's after your score is done for the hole, and allowed by the Rules of Golf.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I believe that regardless of what club you are using to chip with you are still trying to get the best score you can. That's like hitting a 3 wood on a par 5 when you think you are really better off laying up. You will still try to hit the best shot possible regardless of the actual outcome. And sometimes you pull it off and sometimes you don't but that applies to every time you swing the club. 

Anyways, I drifted a little, you post the score as mentioned above. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

On 7/22/2020 at 10:25 AM, Bonvivant said:

Others have already answered the HDCP question, but I would like to address this. Typically the further your target (landing point), is from you, the less accurate you become. A 50 degree or stronger/longer is best for chipping, assuming you have the space to do so. This video is a pretty good representation and demonstration of how the average golfer thinks and how to correct it.

@Bonvivant thank you for sharing this video!  I have watched it a couple times and see the errors that have creeped into my short game.  I am excitted to get to the practice area and change up the lofts of what i was doing into this approach.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

appreciate all the feedback. I work hard to make sure I have a legit cap, I don't want a vanity cap and also don't want to have a cheating cap so wanted to make sure I was being legit.

And @Bonvivant appreciate the video there. I do tend to like a less lofted club for the most part but a situation I keep ending up in...I aim for center of green the majority of the time without taking flag position into account. Unfortunately, my skill with wedges is...not exceptional. (-.36 on strokes gained) and I keep leaving myself 2-5 yards off green in first cut and all too often with a flag short. I always figure the worst sin is leaving it off green so I run a lot of balls too far past flag to 1-putt and am specifically working on that edge situation which if a lofted club can stop it quicker feels like the answer. B

Spent roughly half hour the other day when had opportunity working with a 60 and that will not be coming out on the course anytime soon but I am seeing some success with the 50 and moving towards 55.

For situations like the one in the video, I do love the rule of 12 and have no compunction about going as high as a 7i for those chips for sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, darthweasel said:

I always figure the worst sin is leaving it off green so I run a lot of balls too far past flag to 1-putt and am specifically working on that edge situation which if a lofted club can stop it quicker feels like the answer. B

Spent roughly half hour the other day when had opportunity working with a 60 and that will not be coming out on the course anytime soon but I am seeing some success with the 50 and moving towards 55.

For situations like the one in the video, I do love the rule of 12 and have no compunction about going as high as a 7i for those chips for sure.

What I would say about this, is whatever technique you use with your PW or longer use for the more lofted wedges. Figure out how short you can comfortably hit the PW, then anything inside for that, use another wedge, but with that same "shortest" swing. 52 degree is my comfort chipping club but 56 and 60 make occasional appearances on the short siders.

Glad you are checking with people on getting your handicap proper

• Thumbs Up 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Note: This thread is 1386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!