IGNORED

Justin Thomas Curses and in 2021 Uses Homophobic Slurs

iacas

F&#%  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a problem or dislike Justin Thomas (or anyone else, really) cursing on TV while playing golf?

• Yes, it's a problem.
    • No, no problem here.

2 hours ago, RandyBobbitt said:

I've been fans of JT and Jordan Spieth for several years, at least in terms of their swings and off-course charity efforts. But the potty mouths have always been an issue for me. 

That being said, I'm disappointed in Polo and its knee-jerk reaction to what Thomas did. He made a mistake and apologized. What he did was a result of immaturity, not malice. He doesn't deserve the endorsement death penalty that the PC police like to hand out. As long as it's not part of a pattern, I say let it go. 

I draw a distinction between what JT did and what happened with Scott Piercy. While JT's was a spontaneous comment that did not single out anyone, Piercy's comment was directed a specific person (Pete Buttigieg). He took the time to compose the comment in his head, meaning it was premeditated. And the comments about Q-anon? Seriously? 

I've never owned any Polo products but if I did I would avoid future purchases based on this knee-jerk reaction. I certainly hope the Titleist and Foot-Joy don't follow Polo's lead on this. 

Polo made the right decision based on their industry and how they feel about inclusion. I dont believe it was knee-jerk, no more than your boycott of their products that you have never purchased. I like JT but flat out he was wrong and i wont drop him for one issue like this but to pick that word you have to wonder. There are so many words he could have picked. I use a lot of bad langage when i golf and that one has never even been in the holster ready to go. I aways say you get peoples honest feelings when they are drunk or mad. I hope i am wrong about him but wouldnt be shocked if i wasnt. 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, RandyBobbitt said:

I've been fans of JT and Jordan Spieth for several years, at least in terms of their swings and off-course charity efforts. But the potty mouths have always been an issue for me. 

That being said, I'm disappointed in Polo and its knee-jerk reaction to what Thomas did. He made a mistake and apologized. What he did was a result of immaturity, not malice. He doesn't deserve the endorsement death penalty that the PC police like to hand out. As long as it's not part of a pattern, I say let it go. 

I draw a distinction between what JT did and what happened with Scott Piercy. While JT's was a spontaneous comment that did not single out anyone, Piercy's comment was directed a specific person (Pete Buttigieg). He took the time to compose the comment in his head, meaning it was premeditated. And the comments about Q-anon? Seriously? 

I've never owned any Polo products but if I did I would avoid future purchases based on this knee-jerk reaction. I certainly hope the Titleist and Foot-Joy don't follow Polo's lead on this. 

In 2020, Ralph Lauren Corporation scored 100% on the 2020 Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index, earning the designation of Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality.

Welcome to the world of Ralph Lauren. Discover timeless and authentic designer clothing for...

They made a smart decision for them IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think they did was was right for their brand. 

Out of all his sponsors RL was probably put in the must make a quick decision column. Basing my response off the below 

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

In 2020, Ralph Lauren Corporation scored 100% on the 2020 Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index, earning the designation of Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality.

• Thumbs Up 1

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Welcome to the world of Ralph Lauren. Discover timeless and authentic designer clothing for...

They made a decision based on their business model. While I certainly am no fan of the cancel culture. I totally understand Ralph Lauren's move here. Businesses need to do what's best for business and in this case I think they got it right. 

My question here is more about what was JT thinking? You have to know that in this day and age everything you do or say will likely end up being recorded. Some may argue that Justin is used to the fan noise drowning out his outbursts. To which I say this is NOT the first tournament he's played under these conditions. Others will say, he deserves a pass. He apologized. To that I say I forgive him. Others will too, in time. Never-the-less, he should have known better. Its a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. He'll pay for this mistake. I've paid for many mistakes I've made as well. There are mistakes you can get away with. There are mistakes that are going to cost you. 

I still believe he must use the word in his "real life" to have it slip out. (Top of mind.) I can't prove that of course. And I could be wrong of course. But I think with most people, myself included. There would be a hundred other expletives I would use before I ever got to that one. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I would like to add one more item of importance(maybe). 

I went back and re-watched the incident. For whatever reason I thought he blurted out that slur at the time of the putt. He did not. 

He walked to his next putt and as the commentator was speaking he said it right before his next putt. The context has most certainly changed.

Very strange way to express frustration in the context of how it actually played out. 

• Upvote 2

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

6 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Very strange way to express frustration in the context of how it actually played out. 

This

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

My question here is more about what was JT thinking?

I still believe he must use the word in his "real life" to have it slip out. (Top of mind.)

He wasn’t thinking. It was reflexive.

Just like when PReed said it (also to himself).

55 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

He walked to his next putt and as the commentator was speaking he said it right before his next putt. The context has most certainly changed.

Who cares? Does these tiny differences in context matter? I agree context matters but this level? No.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

Who cares? Does these tiny differences in context matter? I agree context matters but this level? No.

To me it does, it is ok we disagree on this. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

To me it does, it is ok we disagree on this. 

So we’re clear, you think when he said it within a roughly ten second window matters? Whether he said it just after a putt or a bit longer after a putt?

I am not condoning either. What I am saying is I went from, dude that is really stupid to now was it premeditated. 

blurting something out in the moment to thinking about it. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

12 hours ago, RandyBobbitt said:

My guess would be that Ralph Lauren would prefer that you weren't a customer of theirs. How the hell is it a "knee jerk" reaction? Not to mention the fact that their statement was extremely well crafted and considered.

I find it pretty amazing to think that in 2021 there are people who are not horrified at the idea of someone who only a few years ago was a teenager using language and implying an attitude that is out of line with any standard of normalcy and decency. If a golfer had made that comment in 1960 it would have been shocking. You don't get a pass these days for being a homophobe. The comment showed who he was, sadly.

Edited by Shorty
  • Upvote 2

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Just now, mclaren4life said:

Polo made the right decision based on their industry and how they feel about inclusion. I dont believe it was knee-jerk, no more than your boycott of their products that you have never purchased. I like JT but flat out he was wrong and i wont drop him for one issue like this but to pick that word you have to wonder. There are so many words he could have picked. I use a lot of bad langage when i golf and that one has never even been in the holster ready to go. I aways say you get peoples honest feelings when they are drunk or mad. I hope i am wrong about him but wouldnt be shocked if i wasnt. 

I don't know the truth to it, because I haven't looked into it myself, but there is lots of talk that RL manufactures their products in places that have openly anti-gay governments, even to the point of outlawing being gay. For them to drop a player for a comment he made to himself including an anti-gay slur, and then go and exploit labor in countries that are truly awful would be hypocrisy on the highest order, and not the right move at all.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I don't know the truth to it, because I haven't looked into it myself, but there is lots of talk that RL manufactures their products in places that have openly anti-gay governments, even to the point of outlawing being gay. For them to drop a player for a comment he made to himself including an anti-gay slur, and then go and exploit labor in countries that are truly awful would be hypocrisy on the highest order, and not the right move at all.

Oh brother.

RL has a measure of control over some of those things, and very little to no control over some of the others.

It’d be hypocritical if their CEO said something like what JT did and faced no repercussions, but they fired JT for saying it.

See above. RL has won awards for their support of the LGBTQ in the world.

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

and very little to no control over some of the others.

I only mentioned one thing; where they manufacture products. If I donate all of my money to the LGBT cause, but I made it from using labor in a country where being gay is a punishable offense, am I a good or a bad person? Am I a champion of LGBT or a menace to it?

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Bonvivant said:

I only mentioned one thing; where they manufacture products. If I donate all of my money to the LGBT cause, but I made it from using labor in a country where being gay is a punishable offense, am I a good or a bad person? Am I a champion of LGBT or a menace to it?

So your point is that because they manufacture in some shitty countries, they're not allowed to take a stand on the actions of someone that endorses them?

Come on.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

So your point is that because they manufacture in some shitty countries, they're not allowed to take a stand on the actions of someone that endorses them?

Come on.

Yes they can, but in the big picture it weakens their stance.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Come on.

What message does that send to the gay people of those nations? I would think that the message would be pretty negative. I own some of their clothing, and I didn't know about the manufacturing locations until now. A hypocritical company like that won't get more of my money.

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Yes they can, but in the big picture it weakens their stance.

This x1000. Its like someone being a champion of children, but then making all their money off of a country that has no child labor laws.

1 minute ago, Bonvivant said:

What message does that send to the gay people of those nations? I would think that the message would be pretty negative. I own some of their clothing, and I didn't know about the manufacturing locations until now. A hypocritical company like that won't get more of my money.

This x1000. Its like someone being a champion of children, but then making all their money off of a country that has no child labor laws.

... or it's like hitting 95% of greens in regulation but you can't putt.  You're admired for your tee-to-green prowess but defiled for your crappy putting.  I always try to bring it back to golf...

• Like 2