IGNORED

Mevo vs SC300 vs Rapsodo MLM

Note: This thread is 1299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking to pull the trigger on a basic launch monitor in the next week or so. I have narrowed it down to the Flightscope Mevo, the Swing Caddie SC300, and the Rapsodo MLM. I know @iacas has some experience with the Mevo, but does anyone have any with the other two. I want accurate outdoor numbers like ball speed, carry distance, spin rate, and club head speed. Basically I will use it for some gap work, maybe dialing in an adjustable driver, and most often wedge work from 50-150 yards. Are they worth the cost (about $500)? Do people that have them use them enough? Thanks in advance for any input.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I would pick the Mevo over the other two, and I've used both of the other two. The Mevo is the best at that price.

If you click the link in the sidebar, I'll fully admit that I make a few bucks (I could go to Starbucks once if I liked Starbucks), but as I think you know, I seek out deals with companies that I like first, and if I make a few bucks, cool. I don't just post affiliate links to anybody.

The Rapsodo I didn't like because it sucked up phone battery VERY quickly and had to be positioned down low on the ground, while the Mevo lets you record video from anywhere (and put the phone anywhere). It stores your data and is easy to use. Great battery life, small size (fits in your pocket, let alone a golf bag), etc.

It's the clear winner of the three IMO.

P.S. "https://mevo.golf/2Ol3sFT" with coupon code "iacas" to save 10%.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

I would pick the Mevo over the other two, and I've used both of the other two. The Mevo is the best at that price.

If you click the link in the sidebar, I'll fully admit that I make a few bucks (I could go to Starbucks once if I liked Starbucks), but as I think you know, I seek out deals with companies that I like first, and if I make a few bucks, cool. I don't just post affiliate links to anybody.

The Rapsodo I didn't like because it sucked up phone battery VERY quickly and had to be positioned down low on the ground, while the Mevo lets you record video from anywhere (and put the phone anywhere). It stores your data and is easy to use. Great battery life, small size (fits in your pocket, let alone a golf bag), etc.

How does Mevo stack up against the skytrack?  It's probably just a dream (heck, I haven't even bought a tripod yet) but I'm interested in some day building an indoor simulator on a budget. My early research points to the skytrack for indoor systems where you don't have a ton of room. 

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Antneye said:

How does Mevo stack up against the skytrack?  It's probably just a dream (heck, I haven't even bought a tripod yet) but I'm interested in some day building an indoor simulator on a budget. My early research points to the skytrack for indoor systems where you don't have a ton of room. 

I strongly dislike the SkyTrak. You want one? I'm going to sell mine.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

I strongly dislike the SkyTrak. You want one? I'm going to sell mine.

Price would be a factor, but an even bigger factor would be the reasons why? (Half kidding but genuinely curious since I've just started researching options for simulators on a budget that are not just glorified Wii golf).

I'm hoping to see the market bring simulators to the average Joe and these two seem like the first to make that a possibility.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I was leaning towards the Mevo, the funny thing is a lot of reviews knock it because you have to use an app on your phone with it. I don’t see that as an issue what so ever. To me it seems easier to deal with than the others. 

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

(edited)

My only experience is with the Mevo, and FWIW, I love it.  I don’t own one, but I borrowed one for a couple weeks as I was learning distances with new clubs. Very intuitive. No issues.  

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

No experience with Rapsodo or Swing Caddie but I like my Mevo a lot so that would be my choice. Plus I think you can get 10% off with the “iacas” coupon code.

I’ve used it for determining distances of all my partial wedge shots. I use it hitting into a net in my yard, and the distances produced have been vetted on the course.

For full swings with driver and 7-iron the Mevo is basically indistinguishable from the GC4 where I take lessons except the GC4 has more club and ball data (caveat - I’ve never compared the GC4 and Mevo simultaneously, just my typical numbers on Mevo at home are the same as I get on the GC4 in my lessons).

Using the phone app is no big deal. Nitpicking a bit here but the UI for the app is a little clunky, but it’s functional enough that it doesn’t matter.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

10 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I was leaning towards the Mevo, the funny thing is a lot of reviews knock it because you have to use an app on your phone with it. I don’t see that as an issue what so ever. To me it seems easier to deal with than the others. 

I like the app and she talks to you so know when it’s ready. I think it works best outdoors and indoors where the net is more than 8 feet from the mat. My net at home is only 7 feet and I get odd numbers at times.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Well I went ahead and ordered the Mevo. Used Erik's code for the 10% off. Now the wait...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the Mevo out for the first time. Got great data, worked on some gapping, fine tuned my SIM driver, and did a ton of wedge work looking at 50, 75, 100, and 125 yard shots. The wedge work I did was especially helpful. It is really hard at my course to work on wedge distance as we only have 50 and 100 yard markers. I think the Mevo is going to greatly improve my wedge game.

One thing though, this thing is tiny! I know people say it fits in your pocket, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite this small. Not that that is a problem, it actually fits in one of the tiny valuables pockets in my golf bag.

Edited by NM Golf
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

One thing though, this thing is tiny! I know people say it fits in your pocket, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite this small. Not that that is a problem, it actually fits in one of the tiny valuables pockets in my golf bag.

Even though I knew it was small from reading reviews, when I got mine I was shocked by how tiny it is. It's so small I am actually afraid of losing it if I take it out on the course in my bag.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

On 8/24/2020 at 7:05 PM, iacas said:

If you click the link in the sidebar, I'll fully admit that I make a few bucks (I could go to Starbucks once if I liked Starbucks),

I like Starbucks. You could always buy me a cup.

On 8/24/2020 at 6:52 PM, NM Golf said:

I am looking to pull the trigger on a basic launch monitor in the next week or so. I have narrowed it down to the Flightscope Mevo, the Swing Caddie SC300, and the Rapsodo MLM. I know @iacas has some experience with the Mevo, but does anyone have any with the other two. I want accurate outdoor numbers like ball speed, carry distance, spin rate, and club head speed. Basically I will use it for some gap work, maybe dialing in an adjustable driver, and most often wedge work from 50-150 yards. Are they worth the cost (about $500)? Do people that have them use them enough? Thanks in advance for any input.

I have an SC300. I got it as a gift so I can't complain. A couple of things. 

1 - It's VERY accurate for carry distance. I said CARRY distance. Total distance is calculated from the carry distance. I've tested it against trackman and a laser range finder (we literally put sticks in the ground and measured to them.) and it IS about dead nuts. Be warned, when you get any device you are going to argue that your driver went further. Almost everyone does. Here's what happens the first time anyone uses a device "WHAT! 230 yards of carry!?!?! That's bullshit! I normally hit my driver at least 275!" 

2 - The SC300 calculates spin rate. It doesn't measure it. I have my doubts about its accuracy. If spin rate is really important to you, I'd suggest a different device. 

3 - You cannot upload your data easily to an Excel Spreadsheet. In my opinion that's a huge short coming. Especially if you want to do something like compare one driver to another driver. Or something of that ilk. You can only upload your data to a phone and its not easy to do very much manipulation of that data. It's easy to read, easy to collect, but difficult to manipulate and/or sort. I usually have my son read down the columns and I plop it into an Excel spreadsheet. In the year 2020 I think any manual data entry seems like a huge short coming. 

4 - It doesn't give you any information about "straightness". It has no idea where you are aiming and/or any idea if you hit it in the direction of your target.

5 - Again, if you want CARRY distance, ball speed, launch angle, smash factor, or swing speed. It is dead nuts and extremely good at those 5 things. Anything other than that and you are pretty much out of luck. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator

1 and 2 are in conflict with each other.

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

1 and 2 are in conflict with each other.

Hmmm... I don't think so. Allow me to elaborate. When the device came out it wasn't designed to measure spin rate. But it WAS designed to measure carry distance, ball speed, launch angle and swing speed. It calculates smash factor, but I don't see that as a big deal because smash factor is just ball speed divided by swing speed. Since it measures both of those, I feel smash factor is reliable. 

Swing Caddie mentioned that they got a lot of requests to add spin rate. So, they made an update to their app to calculate it from the information that it does measure. Personally, I don't trust the spin rate because it's calculated and not measured. I'm no Alfred Einstein, but I gotta believe their are other factors which can influence spin rate besides just what Swing Caddie measures. So, I don't trust the number it calculates. Its the same with total distance. I don't trust those numbers either because it calculates those. It doesn't measure how soft the ground is, or how long the grass is, so how does it know how far the total distance is?

I know their are other devices out there that actually measure spin rate. I would think that would be a better option for somebody who's really interested in their spin rate numbers. 

But, perhaps I'm wrong? Maybe calculating spin rate is fine? But I would think things like wind direction, altitude, the type of ball, perhaps other factors would affect the spin rate calculation and Swing Caddie doesn't measure those. 

Again, I've tested it and measure it against carry distance numbers and its really good. It's very accurate and very reliable. I have NOT done the same for spin rate numbers, so I'm skeptical. Perhaps somebody else has tested it for spin rate and can chime in. 

• Administrator

Of course they’re in conflict. By varying the spin rate you can affect carry yardage.

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I like Starbucks. You could always buy me a cup.

I have an SC300. I got it as a gift so I can't complain. A couple of things. 

1 - It's VERY accurate for carry distance. I said CARRY distance. Total distance is calculated from the carry distance. I've tested it against trackman and a laser range finder (we literally put sticks in the ground and measured to them.) and it IS about dead nuts. Be warned, when you get any device you are going to argue that your driver went further. Almost everyone does. Here's what happens the first time anyone uses a device "WHAT! 230 yards of carry!?!?! That's bullshit! I normally hit my driver at least 275!" 

I thought the carry distance was fairly spot on. 😉

IMG_FD720C6E7A59-1.jpeg

6 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I thought the carry distance was fairly spot on. 😉

IMG_FD720C6E7A59-1.jpeg

Yeah, I think if your interested only in carry distance, either device is going to be great. 

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Of course they’re in conflict. By varying the spin rate you can affect carry yardage.

I agree with you. 

Where I was going with this is, again maybe I'm wrong. But I'm not convinced you can calculate spin rate from the information that the SC300 measures.

Note: This thread is 1299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!