IGNORED

Problem Uploading Slo-Mo Video to YouTube

Antneye
Note: This thread is 1308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I finally got myself a tripod and got some footage on the range in slo-mo (on iPhone X) but when I upload it to YouTube it is in regular motion. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I need to do to get this video uploaded properly. Is there something extra I need to do other than upload from my phone to YouTube?

TIA!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dunno what the proper way to do it is but I download the video to my MacBook and upload it from the MacBook and it’s slow motion. There’s probably a better way though. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I’ve had this problem too, especially after trimming the video on my phone. I found a work around where I texted the video to my wife, who then texted it back to me, and then I uploaded to YouTube. I’m sure there’s a better way, but I don’t upload much to YouTube. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• iacas changed the title to Problem Uploading Slo-Mo Video to YouTube
  • Administrator

Pretty sure it's just this:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

52 minutes ago, iacas said:

Pretty sure it's just this:

Found that same link before posting this and it didn't work. After a ton of searching I found the answer even if it's not elegant. It turns out the iPhone does not really film the video in slo-mo. It just plays it back in slo-mo (I hate Apple). The truck is to use the screen record feature on the Apple and record the playback of the video. It will then upload to YouTube in slo-mo. 

I hope this helps anyone else in the same boat. Swing thread update incoming!!!

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Antneye said:

Found that same link before posting this and it didn't work. After a ton of searching I found the answer even if it's not elegant. It turns out the iPhone does not really film the video in slo-mo. It just plays it back in slo-mo (I hate Apple). The truck is to use the screen record feature on the Apple and record the playback of the video. It will then upload to YouTube in slo-mo.

That's not really accurate.

The video is recorded in 240 FPS. It can play back at 240 FPS… or by changing the endpoints of the slow-mo stuff, it'll play back at 1/8th speed (30 FPS).

So, it records it in slow motion.

1. Open "Photos" album, choose your slo-mo clip and click on edit button,
  2. The clip opens in kind of black edit screen, here click the more options button, and choose "iMovie" icon,
  3. Now you're in iMovie editing window, but you can't save the video without editing, so you should do some sort of quick edit without changing much. For example, choose some color filter or add text.
  4. Now click "Done" and iMovie will save this edited clip in your Album (it will not be saved as a copy, instead it overwrites original clip you were editing). Now you're done - upload to YouTube (it will have kept the slo-mo effect).

This works fine.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

The video is recorded in 240 FPS. It can play back at 240 FPS… or by changing the endpoints of the slow-mo stuff, it'll play back at 1/8th speed (30 FPS).

I'll keep playing with it but I at least found a workaround for now. I found my answer on an apple forum with a lot of people having the same problem. No clue why it's not working. I tried uploading the original without edits and I also tried snipping both ends and nothing seemed to matter. Odd. 

• Administrator

Both work. The iMovie method lets you also trim pretty easily, which people should do more of anyway. 🙂

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

1. Open "Photos" album, choose your slo-mo clip and click on edit button,
  2. The clip opens in kind of black edit screen, here click the more options button, and choose "iMovie" icon,
  3. Now you're in iMovie editing window, but you can't save the video without editing, so you should do some sort of quick edit without changing much. For example, choose some color filter or add text.
  4. Now click "Done" and iMovie will save this edited clip in your Album (it will not be saved as a copy, instead it overwrites original clip you were editing). Now you're done - upload to YouTube (it will have kept the slo-mo effect).

This works fine.

Rereading this and I didn't actually try what you posted at the bottom. That seems like it is accomplishing the same thing I did and iMovie is copying the playback of the native iPhone recording. I think in both cases we are recording the playback of the native recording but trying to upload the raw file gets you normal playback. 

At least I think that's the case. I'll try this method next time. 

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Both work. The iMovie method lets you also trim pretty easily, which people should do more of anyway. 🙂

Yes. I trimmed by timing when I started the screen recording. Your method seems easier. 

Edited by Antneye

10 hours ago, Antneye said:

So I finally got myself a tripod and got some footage on the range in slo-mo (on iPhone X) but when I upload it to YouTube it is in regular motion. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I need to do to get this video uploaded properly. Is there something extra I need to do other than upload from my phone to YouTube?

TIA!

I edit the video and slo mo part in Photos, then use iMovie to upload to YouTube.

Example: 

1. Open video in Photos.
  2. Trim length.
  3. Move slow motion sliders to just the swing part.
  4. Save.
  5. Open iMovie
  6. Import the video from photos.
  7. Name it.
  8. Upload to YouTube.

I also use a MirrorVision and have to rotate the video in iMovie because MirrorVision doesn’t support landscape yet.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 1 month later...
Note: This thread is 1308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!