IGNORED

An Overview of Winter Aeration (Video)

Note: This thread is 1271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah there's a lot of different methods now too.  This fall, we first rolled the greens, then sanded, aerified using solid tines (so basically punches the sand into the ground), then double verticut (criss cross pattern to further punch sand into the ground), then dragged a mat to fill the holes in with remaining sand on the surface.  Soil temperatures were warm, so we fully recovered in a week and a half which is fast, at least around here.

If you are pulling cores, you would run the machine then sand and drag.  Verticutting is nice to in conjunction with aerifying but is not necessary.  Other methods include hydro aerifying and compressed aerify, basically using water or compressed air to blast the soil under the turf, which leaves minimal damage to surface.  As in, after a roll, you could play that afternoon and you would barely notice they did anything.  Those methods don't replace core aerifying, but are used on courses where the sand layer under the greens is thick (like a foot layer of sand). 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That was a cool video - I'd only ever seen the last part. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

16 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Yeah there's a lot of different methods now too.  This fall, we first rolled the greens, then sanded, aerified using solid tines (so basically punches the sand into the ground), then double verticut (criss cross pattern to further punch sand into the ground), then dragged a mat to fill the holes in with remaining sand on the surface.  Soil temperatures were warm, so we fully recovered in a week and a half which is fast, at least around here.

If you are pulling cores, you would run the machine then sand and drag.  Verticutting is nice to in conjunction with aerifying but is not necessary.  Other methods include hydro aerifying and compressed aerify, basically using water or compressed air to blast the soil under the turf, which leaves minimal damage to surface.  As in, after a roll, you could play that afternoon and you would barely notice they did anything.  Those methods don't replace core aerifying, but are used on courses where the sand layer under the greens is thick (like a foot layer of sand). 

Thank you for the supplementary info. I know very little about course maintenance other than my duties as a golfer, so the insight is welcome. Cheers! 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

21 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Thank you for the supplementary info. I know very little about course maintenance other than my duties as a golfer, so the insight is welcome. Cheers! 

I definitely don't have all the answers, but I always enjoy talking with our superintendent about everything we do.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

It took me way too long to figure out what ollo tining was...

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!