IGNORED

Sand Trap Superspeedsters - Support and Encouragement Group

iacas

I’m getting some odd results with the training lately. My blue stick speed is going down, but my driver is going up. My last session, I got 101, 99, 99, 98, 96 with the blue. Then when I did three driver swings, I got 99, 100 and 98, three of the best so far. I’m not sure if I’m missing the reading zone for the Swing Speed radar. I haven’t moved it from the marked spot. I tried it in a different orientation and it was worse.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

If you swing "low" it will register a spot part-way up the shaft. Try to make the tip pass through the radar's sweet spot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So I did a bit of analysis of the Swing Speed Radar. Assuming the sensor is in the middle of the lower portion, it’s sensor zone should radiate out perpendicular to the face. The instructions say to put it in line with the ball about 8 to 10 inches back aimed 45 degrees to the line the club comes in. Below is this position. The blue tape is 8 to 10 inches from the sensor. The ball is 8 inches from the sensor location. I would also assume that the sensor zone extends beyond the 8 to 10 inches.

BA23CD8C-1DB2-418B-8E41-4365880B26D8.jpeg

D915166C-8FD0-46F3-A635-646C568FE3BC.jpeg

DEAA14E2-F9AF-4762-930A-4E5A31876B35.jpeg

It appears to me to be reading too high. With the driver in place, the head would be below the zone unless it has a significant cone.

2EFD5011-2787-4725-BAA2-0F55C9CB59BD.jpeg

If I aim the sensor lower than the legs want, it gets closer to when the club will be just before impact.

DE7810EC-05D5-43CE-85C3-424AF70A176A.jpeg

15580657-DB9F-4B6D-BDDC-83AF5ED5D6A1.jpeg

If I keep it in the standard position, I should be swinging the sticks about 6 the to 8 inches off the mat. I will check this out next session.

I’m not trying to get my swing speed to read higher with this effort. I realize that the data is comparative to the set up.  What I do want is a consistent measurement. As an engineer, accuracy is engrained into my thinking. It frustrates me when I miss the zone and get a low reading after giving it max effort.

Also, I’m retired and there was nothing that needed painting or fixing today. 😜

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Funny 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

I am thinking I am maxing out my swing speed at my current level of strength/power and mobility.  I say this since I have plateaued for several weeks.

So I am thinking of working on my strength/power ... by working on the three exercises that TPI uses to measure strength -- they are cable pulls, cable pushes and split lunges.... all three have suggestions for what weights should be your goal... based on 8 reps with that goal.

Anyone else working on strength/power and mobility while on this journey to improve swing speed, and if so what seems to be working for you?

• Administrator
On 3/12/2021 at 10:45 AM, boogielicious said:

It appears to me to be reading too high. With the driver in place, the head would be below the zone unless it has a significant cone.

It's not a laser, Scott! 😄

It's a radar. It's emitting a cone, yes?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, iacas said:

It's not a laser, Scott! 😄

It's a radar. It's emitting a cone, yes?

Yes, radiating outward with that stick being the center I would think. I thought about making a paper cone,  but I’m already nerdy enough.

• Funny 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Okay, so it seems like I'm losing a bit of speed lately.
However, I'm also been trying to keep my final five "fast as possible" swings to have some semblance of my actual driver swing. 

Before I was just going for broke and swinging as fast as possible. But with the actual season approaching I'm trying hard to strike a balance between swinging as hard as possible and having the swing look something like a golf swing. 

Not sure if that's the smartest way to do it. But when I've played so far this season I've been crazy wild off the tee. (Don't get me wrong, I've had some really good drives.) I've worked much too hard on face control this year. I don't want to lose that, but I still want to chase some more speed. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

First time all five were over 120.  I really focused on keeping the hands and arms relaxed and getting a good whip going.  When I did that, it popped pretty good.  Shoulder is feeling a lot better and I'm not worried about it much at all now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

1 hour ago, NCGolfer said:

First time all five were over 120.  I really focused on keeping the hands and arms relaxed and getting a good whip going.  When I did that, it popped pretty good.  Shoulder is feeling a lot better and I'm not worried about it much at all now.

Those are good numbers. 
Congratulations. 
Keep up the good work. 

Didn't feel like I was swinging the sticks fast at all today, and only got a max of 125 with the blue stick. However, hit balls with driver and Mevo afterward, and also felt slow and out of sync, but still was hitting a range of 108-113 MPH. So the positive note I can take is that my out of sync/slow feeling swings are still getting decent speed, when before they would suffer a pretty severe drop.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Hit 107.3 on the Trackman last night.  Average (throwing a few low numbers out) was around 105.  Average ball speed is up a bit to 155...smash factor was normally in the 1.49 range before and dropped a little bit.  I could feel I wasn't making great contact so have a few things to work on.

Would say I'm up about 5 MPH based on previous averages.  I played Sunday and could notice a difference.  Misses were much better and had a couple that were in spots I normally don't reach.  Just have to bring the dispersion in a bit.

Also, I've been looking at my swing speed with my 7 iron for comparison sake and have some old data.  That club is up 3 MPH as well and carrying about 5 yards further.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

One of my golf goals for 2021 is to increase my driver swing speed by 10 mph.

I used Flightscope as my real baseline when I began the challenge.  On January 2nd, my driver swing speed was 83 MPH (while my SSR reading was 88).   

I was on Flightscope yesterday and my swing speed has improved to 86.4 mph.  So a 3.4 mph increase... while I wanted MORE, at least I am trending in the right direction.  I really need to work on Strength/Power and Mobility... which I will start in earnest on April 1... so we shall see its impact over the next 90 days.  I will definitely take another 3.4 mph!!   Then I will only need 3.2 mph in the last six months of the year.   At almost 74 years old, I have to get longer to play with the kids!! LOL!!   

Odd set of results this evening. Not sure if my radar device was positioned slightly off, or if I was just not in sync swinging the sticks. Maxed at 125 mph, median 122 mph, and minimum of 117. mph. Pulled out my Mevo and hit about 20 balls with an 8-iron, and swing speed was 94-98 mph (slight boost from being amped up post-superspeed - typical is probably 91-93), so I don't think I have lost any speed, but this week's speed stick swings are trending lower.

-Peter

Did SuperSpeed after my practice today for the first time in a couple weeks. My right forearm was sore from some home repair work, so I wanted to give it a rest. Question for this group: when do you do the training, before practice, after, some other time in the day? I find if I spend an hour working on my swing, I’m a little tired and results are not as good. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

I generally do it before my practice, so I'm "freshest."

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to say that using the Sports Sensors SSR is beyond frustrating sometimes. I am pretty sure that I set it up consistently each session, but speed can be significantly variable swing to swing (+/- 10 MPH). I wish FlightScope would update their firmware to let the Mevo devices measure speed without a ball.

-Peter

On 3/27/2021 at 4:23 PM, boogielicious said:

Did SuperSpeed after my practice today for the first time in a couple weeks. My right forearm was sore from some home repair work, so I wanted to give it a rest. Question for this group: when do you do the training, before practice, after, some other time in the day? I find if I spend an hour working on my swing, I’m a little tired and results are not as good. 

I like to do it before my training sessions. Similar to what @iacas said. I'm freshest then. Ideally I find I get better results if I do a fair amount of stretching first, but that isn't always the case.

12 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I have to say that using the Sports Sensors SSR is beyond frustrating sometimes. I am pretty sure that I set it up consistently each session, but speed can be significantly variable swing to swing (+/- 10 MPH). I wish FlightScope would update their firmware to let the Mevo devices measure speed without a ball.

I'm with you on this. Although, I'm not sure it matters what the "actual" numbers are. I just would like a small degree of consistency in it's measurement. If it was always 10 mph slow. I could deal with that. If it's 10 mph slow one swing and 10 mph fast the next... that makes my ass chew gum. 

I've done my last couple of sessions at the range before working on what ever I came to the range that day to work on. 
The problem is I keep forgetting to bring my radar with me to the range. 

So, I don't have any numbers for my last few speed sessions.... but I've been doing them.