aannddyy00

Cheating at Meet-Ups

28 posts / 1012 viewsLast Reply

So, how do the fine folks here on TheSandTrap handle cheating at your events?

Lets say a guy keeps score for his group, and his team eventually wins. Another participant eventually catches wind of it, and posts a thread on the forum to not so subtly air him out. 

Lets say the coordinator of the event eventually becomes butthurt about all the controversy and winds up permabanning someone that participated in the cheating thread. 

how is that handled here @iacas?

Do you guys attack the people shaming the cheater?

We don't play for anything at most of our outings. People keep their own scores, do whatever… they're mostly all about meeting up with people and having fun and playing a certain golf course.

At the Newport Cup, nobody has cheated. They're match play, though, not some form of stroke play.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds good, there was very little on the line in the event i'm speaking about, which is even more frustrating when cheating occurs. 

The winners of the event you're talking about did get to stay for free at a place that costs quite a bit to stay and play at, though, no? The winners of the event you're talking about got about $500 in goods? Merch credit, plaques, the stay/golf, etc.

Well, they all would have if the cheat had not been caught. But yes. There was a decent prize involved. 

More frustrating, is the alleged cheating in other non competition rounds that had been boiling under the surface, and only brought to light by a member that was later shamed by the event coordinator. 

2 minutes ago, aannddyy00 said:

More frustrating…

Like three people here are going to have any clue what you're talking about, so, I'll highlight your original question:

13 minutes ago, aannddyy00 said:

So, how do the fine folks here on TheSandTrap handle cheating at your events?

… and broaden it to say "how do you handle cheating in events in which you play, whether they're TST events or anything else?

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Like three people here are going to have any clue what you're talking about,

its more fun when no one knows whats going on. 😉

34 minutes ago, aannddyy00 said:

its more fun when no one knows whats going on. 😉

if you want to know whats going on, good luck, the thread was deleted due to i guess extreme shame brought on the event coordinator and cheat. 

7 minutes ago, aannddyy00 said:

if you want to know whats going on, good luck, the thread was deleted due to i guess extreme shame brought on the event coordinator and cheat. 

A thread elsewhere, to those who may wonder what in the f*** he's talking about.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

A thread elsewhere, to those who may wonder what in the f*** he's talking about.

Yes, sorry to imply it may have been here.

41 minutes ago, aannddyy00 said:

I need something to kill the time. 

You could… read a book.

But seriously, people… when have you seen people cheat? What did you or someone else do about it? Let's hear the stories.

I'll tell you two, both from @NatalieB's tournaments (never her of course). Both the same girl. Lindsey. Pow!

1. The girl would bully people into letting her take relief from casual (now temporary) water just so she could get her hands on her ball, clean it, etc. Then she'd drop in basically the same area, or she'd stand where her ball was. Nobody ever called her on it, because she was a bully, but she almost never actually took complete relief.
  2. The same girl once called her dad via FaceTime and got a lesson on her grip and swing MID-ROUND, then bragged to others that she had done so. Again, bully, so nobody did anything.

Let's hear your cheating stories, folks!!!

I have never seen anything like a competitor improving their lie or reporting an incorrect hole score.  A few times a player has said, "I had a six" and I thought he may have miscounted.  I typically say, "Bob, talk me through the strokes on that last hole."  We always end up agreeing on what the correct score was.

Once a player hit a drive waaay left.  It was easily 30 yards into the trees before I lost sight and there was no audible "crack" of a ball hitting wood.  As I and the other players in the group searched the tree line the player found his ball a step or two off the fairway.  I still can't imagine how his ball silently ricocheted 50 yards back toward the fairway.  I wish I had watched him closer during the search.