IGNORED

Golf Club Help

BigM
Note: This thread is 1250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there.

This is my first time posting on this forum and looking for some assistance in which golf clubs to purchase. I used to play around every two week around 5 years and and I am getting back into golf now I am at university. I’m looking for a set of irons but seems to be a minefield in which ones to choose. Firstly I’m not sure whether to get steel or graphite irons and secondly which irons / brand to buy. I would say my budget is around 150-200 for a set of irons and looking for them to be forgiving as I’m getting back into the game but not compromise on distance if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Administrator

I'd recommend finding a recent set of irons on eBay. If you're a college student, steel shafts should be fine (and typically less expensive).

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First off..welcome.  This is a good place.  Second...go on line and look up "Best new clubs of 2006, 07, 08, etc... "  You can buy the absolute top of the line gear, from a decade or so ago, for a song.  There are lots of great clubs out there that have fallen off the radar.  That does not mean that they are not great clubs...still.  Newer does not mean better.  Most of the time it only means more expensive.

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Hi everyone.

thank you for the welcome and the advice it’s greatly appreciated. I have previously been looking at the callaway steelhead x16 or x20 irons does anyone think these would be suitable for myself or should I look at alternatives? I heard good things about the TaylorMade burner 2.0 irons as well as the ping G series?

thank you 

2 hours ago, BigM said:

Hi everyone.

thank you for the welcome and the advice it’s greatly appreciated. I have previously been looking at the callaway steelhead x16 or x20 irons does anyone think these would be suitable for myself or should I look at alternatives? I heard good things about the TaylorMade burner 2.0 irons as well as the ping G series?

thank you 

Any of those sets are perfectly fine. Just make sure you don’t buy anything that’s really out of spec for you (+1” if you’re not tall, that sort of thing).

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!