IGNORED

The Single-Plane Swing Has Changed My Golf Life

LightsOut
Note: This thread is 1121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can only speak for myself on this, but I was frustrated after playing for 30+ years and still struggling with the same things.  I started looking for answers and came across some instructional videos and I learned about Moe Norman.  It took a little getting used to and I made some little adjustments, but I am playing the best golf of my life at 44 years old.  Recently shot a 79, then followed it up with a 77!  I don't say this to brag, trust me.  I'm just as impressed when I hit shots these days.  I'm like "Damn that felt good!", and "Wow, look at that!"  I just want to offer encouragement to those who may have never felt the pure joy of having a great round of golf on a consistent basis.  I even look forward to range time now.  It's not for everybody, I guess.  But maybe it's worth looking into if you just can't seem to break through to the next level.  This is a fun little highlight reel I put together last night with clips from a recent practice session and round.

In the Bag:

Tour Edge Exotics Driver, 3W, 3H, 4H, 5-PW, Adams Golf 54 and 60 Wedges, Wilson SW, Ray Cook putter.

• iacas changed the title to The Single-Plane Swing Has Changed My Golf Life

I’m glad you’re playing well, but you’re not really doing a Moe Norman swing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, billchao said:

I’m glad you’re playing well, but you’re not really doing a Moe Norman swing.

You're absolutely right.  I kind of modified it to fit my style a bit. I'm more upright for sure. The three things I do like him are fully protracted wrist, straight back and straight through, and foot and leg action.   

Edited by LightsOut

In the Bag:

Tour Edge Exotics Driver, 3W, 3H, 4H, 5-PW, Adams Golf 54 and 60 Wedges, Wilson SW, Ray Cook putter.

I have watched several of the longer youtube MoeNorman vids and your swing is similar and along the same lines but of course not exactly the same.  Thing that is so impressive about Norman is the range time, the number of balls hit.  I would imagine if you were to be as dedicated to the concept as MoeNorman, the swing and the amazing accuracy and dispersions would follow.  But that's asking a lot.  He carried on conversation as he hit balls, one after another, with no distraction or apparently no mis-hits.  Pretty amazing indeed.  Ima try to pinpoint the vid I am remembering (it's about 45 min).

I found part 2 of the vid:

Edited by iacas
please embed videos

• 3 months later...

just curious.  While I think you can keep the ball straight, without hip rotation, don't you lose distance?  It might be just fine - short and straight beats long and in the rough, I suppose.  But, it seems all the power is in his arms, and if you can put your hips into the swing, won't it go longer?

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, ajl said:

just curious.  While I think you can keep the ball straight, without hip rotation, don't you lose distance?  It might be just fine - short and straight beats long and in the rough, I suppose.  But, it seems all the power is in his arms, and if you can put your hips into the swing, won't it go longer?

Who are you asking?

A single plane swing doesn’t mean no hip rotation.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hi iacas,

I guess I'm asking anyone doing the SPS.   I suppose I should not have implied no rotation.  But certainly, it is less rotation than a conventional swing.  From what I understand, that is by design so that there are less moving parts.  Todd Graves explains it by saying when you open your front foot by 30 degrees, it limits what your hips can do.  So, you are more likely to return to a square face at impact.  I guess Mo Norman got more power by his slight lunge forward.  But my ultimate question is whether the SPS is designed to sacrifice distance for accuracy.

7 minutes ago, ajl said:

Hi iacas,

I guess I'm asking anyone doing the SPS.   I suppose I should not have implied no rotation.  But certainly, it is less rotation than a conventional swing.  From what I understand, that is by design so that there are less moving parts.  Todd Graves explains it by saying when you open your front foot by 30 degrees, it limits what your hips can do.  So, you are more likely to return to a square face at impact.  I guess Mo Norman got more power by his slight lunge forward.  But my ultimate question is whether the SPS is designed to sacrifice distance for accuracy.

Well, I can tell you my distance has INCREASED since adjusting my swing.  I'm finally carrying 250 plus on drives, PW is about 135, 9 iron is 140-145, 8 iron is 155-160, and my approach wedge is at about 120.  I know these numbers well because I use these clubs the most and measure them.  I also feel like I'm using less effort, but generating more speed at impact.  

In the Bag:

36 minutes ago, ajl said:

I guess Mo Norman got more power by his slight lunge forward. 

Mo was accurate, but certainly not a ‘powerful’ ball striker. Bryson has significant hip rotation. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, ajl said:

I guess I'm asking anyone doing the SPS.   I suppose I should not have implied no rotation.  But certainly, it is less rotation than a conventional swing.

Not necessarily.  Mainly what SPS is, is just what it says: Swinging on a single plane.  Doesn't speak to the depth of the back-swing or how much follow-through.

1 hour ago, ajl said:

But my ultimate question is whether the SPS is designed to sacrifice distance for accuracy.

That's not the intent, but it's often the result.

54 minutes ago, LightsOut said:

Well, I can tell you my distance has INCREASED since adjusting my swing.

Then you're something of an exception to the rule.  Most people lose distance moving from traditional to single-plane swing.  I certainly did.  I did improve accuracy.  My slices and fades became almost a thing of the past.  I more-consistently found the bottom of my swing, so less chunked and topped shots.  But my distance definitely took a hit, and I couldn't get it back.  I could find no local instructors that taught SPS.  Got nothing back from Todd Graves' operation when I inquired.  So, lacking any clear path to improvement, I dropped SPS.

Note: This thread is 1121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!