IGNORED

Consistently Hitting to Right of Target With New Irons

Kleriq
Note: This thread is 1204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently upgraded from regular-flex super game improvement irons to Z 585s with stiff-flex Modus3 Tour130 shafts. As a result I am consistently hitting the ball 10-30 yards to right of my target.

My guess is that I’m failing to close the clubface at impact, and that either the shaft weight or flex is exacerbating whatever swing fault is responsible for that. So what should I be focusing on to fix that? I already know that I unload my wrists too early, but would that in and of itself be the cause of an open clubface?

(I’ve been working with a local pro for a while and he has massively improved my swing. He hasn’t seen me in the new irons yet and he doesn’t have a lot of free time currently, so I’m asking the internet in lieu of another lesson.)

WITB: :titleist: TSi 2 10°, :callaway: Rogue 3W, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi 4H–5H, :srixon: Z585 5–PW, :cleveland: RTX4 52°, CBX2 56°, :ping: Sigma G Anser, :srixon: Z-Star

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Kleriq said:

super game improvement irons

Could also just be that they had a lot more offset, and you aimed them farther left than you aim the Z585s.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe, though the set I was playing previously (Hot Launch 2) didn’t have nearly the offset of modern SGI sets like the Ping G410s I looked at in my fitter’s shop.

WITB: :titleist: TSi 2 10°, :callaway: Rogue 3W, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi 4H–5H, :srixon: Z585 5–PW, :cleveland: RTX4 52°, CBX2 56°, :ping: Sigma G Anser, :srixon: Z-Star

I’ve taken a few practice swings, aborted at impact, and it seems like I need to significantly increase the grip strength of my top hand to ensure square impact.

Yes, I went from a set of Ping G5s to Ping i e1. My 3i and 4i into a 185 to 195 yard par 3 consistently ended up in the right trap. 

I am pretty sure it was the offset as iacas mentions. The G5s were stiff and the i e1's were regular flex, which is the opposite way your club selection went.

• Informative 1

28 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Yes, I went from a set of Ping G5s to Ping i e1. My 3i and 4i into a 185 to 195 yard par 3 consistently ended up in the right trap. 

I am pretty sure it was the offset as iacas mentions. The G5s were stiff and the i e1's were regular flex, which is the opposite way your club selection went.

Interesting. How did you adjust? Aim farther left, or change your swing?

4 minutes ago, Kleriq said:

Interesting. How did you adjust? Aim farther left, or change your swing?

I got a 4h to go along with my 3h and put my 3i and 4i in the closet. Pushing the ball was not the only reason as I had to get rid of 1 club when I reworked my wedge line-up. Put away my 56* and got a 54* and 58*.

My G30 hybrids seem to have what looks to be a slight draw bias, so I went from pushing a long iron into the right trap to drawing a 4h into the woods. 😆

I have to set up different and really concentrate with the hybrids so as not to go left. The G30 line up is in the super game improvement whereas the irons are not. That is something I will definitely be considering when purchasing my next set.

I may drop my 4h and put the 4i back in the bag as suggestions that Erik has made is getting my confidence back in my iron play. 

Did you also change the lie angle? Several years ago, I went to a flatter lie, and that made me miss right, for awhile. When I had the more upright lie, I played every shot right to left. The flatter lie straightened my ball flight, but I aimed right.

24 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

Did you also change the lie angle? Several years ago, I went to a flatter lie, and that made me miss right, for awhile. When I had the more upright lie, I played every shot right to left. The flatter lie straightened my ball flight, but I aimed right.

How many degrees was the lie changed?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, Sandy Divot said:

Did you also change the lie angle?

Interesting thought. New irons are half a degree more upright, club for club.

(edited)

My instructor and I think we have figured this out. When I got the new irons, I tried to dial in the feel of the wrist hinge with the new shaft weight. In the process, I accidentally developed a small cup in my lead. If I consciously try to bow my wrist, I wind up keeping it planar, and that seems to have fixed the push.

Edited by Kleriq

Note: This thread is 1204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!