IGNORED

Why is there so much tension regarding the Titleist V1 ball?

JYB
Note: This thread is 5889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Pro V1 is a ball for all the clubs yes---but where you really notice the difference between quality Titleist balls and the competition is putting and chipping --

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pro V1 is definitely a great ball, a goto ball for the better than average player. I agree it's not the only ball, but I sure do keep coming back to it.

I played the HX Tour a lot last year, but found I cut them up real bad and had to replace several times per round. I'm looking forward to the new version this year, hopefully it's more durable.

Found the Taylormade pretty nice, but not as much feel as the HX Tour, also not very durable.

Played the B330-S for the first time last week. Very durable, but not as much feel as the Pro v1 or HX Tour. Actually felt a lot like the Pro V1X. Perhaps it's a tad harder than the Pro V1.

Bottom line, you have to pick the ball that suits you. The Pro V1 is a goto ball in my opinion. If they improve the durability of the HX Tour (new name this year???) I would mainly play it.

I do disagree that a mid to high handicap player could not improve with a 3 piece ball, the feedback you get is amazing, good or bad. When I played a big fade (slice), I was really penalized off the tee, but I made up for it with my approach shots to the green. Now that I have straightened out my long sticks...(LOTS OF WORK) I'm starting to learn to work the ball.

I would say play a performance ball when you feel good or are playing good. Switch to a 2 piece ball at other times.

For those who can play equally good with any kind of ball..you've got game.

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

I don't understand it either

How often do you see someone who plays Nike golf balls pick out every little thing someone
says about them in a post to remind everyone how great they think Nike golf balls are?
âI'm glad I brought this course, this monster, to its knees.â

The responses to this post have showed exactly what i'm talking about. If you look at some of them, you'll see the animosity over this ball that i'm talking about.

The responses to this post have showed exactly what i'm talking about. If you look at some of them, you'll see the animosity over this ball that i'm talking about.

cuz they're O-VER-RAY-TED!

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

...If they improve the durability of the HX Tour (new name this year???)...

It's called the Tour ix

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

With regards to that link talking to Tim Herron, what absolute bollocks!!

A wedge clearly goes straighter than a four iron because it has a considerably shorter shaft, end of! A driver will put more sidespin, a wedge more backspin!

With regards to the Pro V1, i honestly believe that the massive marketing machine that is Titleist has done it's job perfectly. If you see your favourite players playing certain equipment, you will buy it.

Having tried pretty much all of the up market balls, i loved the pro v1 but found that it shredded way to easily and spun too much, on the otehr hand, the nike one platinum i personally thought felt like a rock. This suggests even more marketing going on, as in a recent ball test it suggested Nike was the softest ball, it is not.

I think in an age where millions a year is spent on R&D;, all balls, not just the high quality ones have so much to offer, and the average golfer canot fully utilise this, although they can appreciate the difference. I honestly believe that due to the incredibly high quality of modern balls, the difference between say the pro v1 and the hx tour 56 is absolutely tiny to the point of being silly.

r7425, claiming the pro v1 is a ball not designed for irons and drives is ludicrous!! Titleist will have done a fine balancing act with the pro v1 to get the most out of ALL aspects without sacrificing unduly any one aspect. Where do you get your random information that has no bearing in reality from?

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

With regards to that link talking to Tim Herron, what absolute bollocks!!

I agree with this entire post, just wanted to play on the part I bolded. The considerably higher degree of loft plays a major role in the wedge's straighter trajectory.

arguing anything remotely close to this with r7 425 will be a major waste of time....just warning you.

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

A LOT OF THIS IS JUST PURE CONJECTURE

not many people are good enough or hit the ball hard enough to know the difference between these balls in practice.....the differences are only apparent when balls are hit at 115 mph plus in my opinion.

Faldo was saying the other day the distance it produces is just mad for a ball a pro will use, as traditionally pros like soft balls that dont offer much distance.

Why don't you just use a different ball when you get on the green to putt with?

• Administrator
Why don't you just use a different ball when you get on the green to putt with?

Cuz that'd be against the rules.

Closing this thread. I'm not sure I understood the point to begin with, and seven or eight pages later I'm still certain I don't understand it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!