IGNORED

Ideal Numbers

Note: This thread is 1204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I purchased a voice caddie sc300 over the winter and since getting lessons my numbers seem to be improving distance wide anyways. I was a super long back swing and extremely over the top. So my question is how accurate have any of you found these to be in regards to launch angle and ball speeds? My best shots with an 8 iron are showing 76-79 swing speed with a launch angle of 26-30degrees. Smash factor of around 1.24 however every so often I’ll hit one that I just know by feel was better and swing speed will be the same and launch will be 22-24 distance will be 10 yards farther and smash will be 1.33 or better. Do all that makes sense to me numbers wise but I can thin the heck out of one and get even better numbers. So how much can I rely on the numbers for knowing that what I’m practicing is correcting my flaws. 

what would an ideal launch and smash be for a 8iron around 75-80mph 

• Administrator

Well…

87 MPH is the average clubhead speed on the PGA Tour with an 8-iron, with a smash of 1.32 and a launch of 18-19°.

How far is your ball going? What's the peak height?

P.S. I don't know how accurate the SC300 is.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

130-132 on average  carry according to the monitor, peak height was 125-130. I feel like that’s too high. I’m hitting into a net so it’s hard to say if the height is any where near right, I do believe I hit the ball higher than the majority of the people I play with. I know I could use more shaft lean at impact, but my instructor said not to worry about that as it will fix itself as I learn to swing from the inside(shallow). He also said he didn’t believe the ball was going too high either. 

I also don't know how accurate your SC300 might be. I would suggest taking your SC300 and going somewhere with a Trackman or GCQuad and compare the numbers. Then you may have a better idea of its accuracy.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Zippo said:

I also don't know how accurate your SC300 might be. I would suggest taking your SC300 and going somewhere with a Trackman or GCQuad and compare the numbers. Then you may have a better idea of its accuracy.

I've done this. I've actually done it a couple of times and a couple of different ways. I did a test where my swing coach and I took an SC300, a trackman, a laser rangefinder and Arccos to the course. We played stuck down sticks as close as we could to where we hit from and where the ball landed. That way we could shoot them with the laser rangefinder. I think I may have even written up the test results and published them someplace on this forum. The gist of the story is that Arccos and the SC300 were within a percent or so to the laser rangefinder for distance. 

I can tell you the SC300 is very good in terms of measuring distance, ball speed and swing speed. (Therefore smash factor is also very good.) The two things it did seem to be off a bit with were spin rate and peak height. I sent my results to Swing Caddie and asked them why spin rate and peak height were often different from what Trackman was giving us. They responded and, to be honest, were really prompt and polite. Their suggestion was that peak height from the SC300 can be thrown off if you don't set it on the ground exactly the same each time. The SC300 assumes it's always set on very level ground in relation to where the ball is struck from. They also told me spin rate can get fooled by the wind, or by elevation. The spin rate with the SC300 is calculated. So, again it makes some assumptions. It assumes no wind and it assumes you are at sea level. 

23 hours ago, Dwall4017 said:

I’m hitting into a net so it’s hard to say if the height is any where near right, 

In my experience the SC300 is NOT very good for hitting into a net. I've heard the Mevo is pretty good for hitting into a net. But it seems like the SC300 needs to track the ball a little longer than the net will usually allow. Over the years I've heard lots of people complain about the SC300 and hitting into a net. I will work on my swing in my basement and my net is really close to where I hit the ball. I almost never use my SC300 for that. It just doesn't have enough time to see the ball flight. So, I always get flaky numbers. 

I was an early adopter of the SC300 (and Arccos for that matter). I've done a lot of different tests with them. (Mostly because I'm a geek.) I feel very confident in saying that at least with the unit I have if you are outside and it says you hit 132 yards of carry.... you probably hit 132 yards of carry. 

Anyway, good luck working on your swing. This is a great forum with a lot of really good folks willing to help you. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer
Spelling Error - Chicago Public Schools
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I had wondered about the setup angle of the unit. I’m on a slight incline where I’m hitting, but I do have plenty of space before the ball contacts the net, in the neighbor hood of 15ft. I need to take some pics of my training area and get some ideas on what’s next. Currently trying to figure out what I need for a camera to record my swings. 

13 hours ago, Dwall4017 said:

Currently trying to figure out what I need for a camera to record my swings.

I use my iphone 11 and a cheap tripod from Amazon - think it was around $25. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

It seems like any time I get my phone set up, somebody calls and I have to start. I’m looking into GoPros that way it can be used on a cart to record rounds for fun 

1 hour ago, Dwall4017 said:

It seems like any time I get my phone set up, somebody calls and I have to start. I’m looking into GoPros that way it can be used on a cart to record rounds for fun 

You take calls during golf practice!!!? Good God, Man! I suppose you put ice in your bourbon, too?

1 hour ago, Dwall4017 said:

I’m looking into GoPros that way it can be used on a cart to record rounds for fun 

Haven’t used a GoPro since their second or third version around 2011, and back then I remember the fisheye lens distorted the image quite a bit. I sent mine up to near space on a weather balloon, so the distortion was particularly obvious, so it might not matter for golf swings, or maybe the lenses are different now.

Nice thing about phones is they have built in high frame rate slo-mo mode,   you can view/edit/upload from the device, view real-time video with mirror vision app, and also works easily with analysis apps like Flightscope Mevo, Hudl, and others.

• Upvote 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Note: This thread is 1204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!