IGNORED

Upgrade From PING Zing 2 Irons?

Hi all,

I've always stuck by my original set of  white dot Ping Zing 2 irons (3-SW) for a few reasons:

1. Emotional tie (first set, and inherited from my Grandad).

2. They were good enough for Lee Westwood for a decade, they're good enough for this 16hcp.

3. I play well enough with them, starting to regularly break 90 now.

4. I'm somewhat of an obsessive, I'll only play with Ping or Mizuno clubs.

My question is, should I now be looking at a more modern set of irons (even a second hand set)? Can anyone recommend clubs that would be a suitable upgrade for someone looking to move forward in their game?

I'm thinking any set from 2010 onwards, preferably forged, preferably Ping or Mizuno.

Alternative is to wait another year or so and save up for a fitting.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, mellison24 said:

Hi all,

I've always stuck by my original set of  white dot Ping Zing 2 irons (3-SW) for a few reasons:

1. Emotional tie (first set, and inherited from my Grandad).

2. They were good enough for Lee Westwood for a decade, they're good enough for this 16hcp.

3. I play well enough with them, starting to regularly break 90 now.

4. I'm somewhat of an obsessive, I'll only play with Ping or Mizuno clubs.

My question is, should I now be looking at a more modern set of irons (even a second hand set)? Can anyone recommend clubs that would be a suitable upgrade for someone looking to move forward in their game?

I'm thinking any set from 2010 onwards, preferably forged, preferably Ping or Mizuno.

Alternative is to wait another year or so and save up for a fitting.

If you like Ping, they have a wide range of choices. I would recommend hitting a few at a store or demo day if they is one in your area. Take your time too. 

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I also am a PingEye2 junkie since the early 90s although I had a 15 year or so break from golf.  I have been hunting a new used set of newer Pings for a couple years and yet to buy simply because not that much of a selection appears.  The sets are pre-fitted (the dot system) so that narrows choice and I also have decided to try graphite shafts to help my aging joints.  I have not purchased because I have not come upon the perfect match yet.  The Eye2s are just a pleasure to hit for me and I can wait for that set.  
I look out for Ping and Titleist and both are fairly limited choices and fairly $$ compared to others.  Enjoy your rounds.

• Like 1

Here is what you have now: 

image.thumb.png.ac4d05f2d48aaad4c0feb22c64af9b3a.png

27 years, super game improvement. You could go with something like this:

image.thumb.png.cb8c9691075f29267496a447e128b676.png

12 years newer, same class. I bought a set of these new, maybe 2008 or so. I loved them, but the badges started coming off. Did not hurt the performance. My game improved so I got a set that was less "playable" for accuracy reasons. or something like these:

image.thumb.png.95f1d65f2e72b7055d0eea6230b186e7.png

Can probably find a deal online for a used set. Or go all out and get fitted with these:

image.thumb.png.e58caac6cbfac3619cd030b16742c9a5.png

or these:

image.thumb.png.745d8bd3dd3b9e7cef3104b29c409bb6.png

Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

I bought a set of Ping G25’s over the winter. I hit them indoors and they really seemed to work well for me, but we will see. I also found an original Ping Eye 2 sand wedge with the square grooves. I called Ping and gave them the serial #. They told me it was manufactured in 1988, plus the patent # identifies it as a pre-litigation model designed by Karsten. It is in perfect condition. Can’t wait for spring to try it.

46 minutes ago, CharlieB said:

I bought a set of Ping G25’s over the winter. I hit them indoors and they really seemed to work well for me, but we will see. I also found an original Ping Eye 2 sand wedge with the square grooves. I called Ping and gave them the serial #. They told me it was manufactured in 1988, plus the patent # identifies it as a pre-litigation model designed by Karsten. It is in perfect condition. Can’t wait for spring to try it.

I played Ping G15s for years then went to Cobra, then Cleveland, (I don't know why), but have just bought a set of G25s on eBay. I was fitted by Ping a few years ago and everything was 'standard,' black dot, no adjustment to length, perfect on the strike board. So the G25s I purchased are good for me. Had them at the range the other day, they felt great. 

I also like the look of the Ping irons without a feral, I think post G25s they have one, (but I'm not sure). 

• 1 year later...

My first clubs were a Wilson MBT set I got in the 1990s plus a few random clubs from my grandfather, I learned as a teen, but played infrequently for years. Since the pandemic, I started playing very frequently, really learning the game. The 1st club I consistently connected with was my grandfather's old Ping Zing 1 iron. So a year and a half ago I measured my own sizing and picked up a used Ping Zing red dot complete set in great condition: 1-9, W, S, L wedges. I have to say, the Ping Zing set has really helped me improve my game. I went from horrible to breaking 90 on good days. I really love the clubs, especially the wedges. I more recently upgraded my longer clubs: used Taylormade M6 driver, 3 wood & 3 & 4 hybrids. The M6s bomb it! With those in the bag, I carry the Ping 1 iron (for under trees) then 5 iron through Lob wedge. My only issues are that if I start doing more tournament play (just started at that) the Zings will be illegal in 2024. Also, I find my most difficult gap between the modern 4 hybrid and the vintage 5 iron, where I have to make the choice to try and crush the 5 or lighten up on the 4 in the 155-175 yd range. I notice guys I play with are hitting a modern 7 iron where I hit the Zing 5 on 150 yd shots. I know modern loft angles are ~ 1 club up, but that's 2 clubs. So I am also looking for a good upgrade from the Zings sometime before 2024. Is there something that has the Zing feel and consistency, but hits longer? I started looking at the Eye sole grind Glide 4.0 wedges as an option and maybe G410 or G425. I'll look at anything- new, closeout deals, and good condition used. Doesn't have to be Ping. What else should I check out?