IGNORED

My Setup (Butt) Board

iacas
Note: This thread is 1102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Following this topic (which many of you still need to do…):

I visited my local Friendly Neighborhood Training Aid Supply Store (Lowe's) to get a 4 x 4 (which is 3.5" x 3.5") and some 3/4" PVC, along with some conduit clamps, and built myself a little training aid.

setup_butt_board_1.jpgsetup_butt_board_2.jpgsetup_butt_board_3.jpg

In action? Here you go:

setup_butt_board_4.jpg

4 x 4s are 3.5" across.

My recommendation? Find a 2 x 4 that's about 30" long, occasionally put it against a wall, put your heels against it, and learn to set up without your butt pushing against the wall a lot.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to My Setup (Butt) Board

Can this be used as an early extension training aid too?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Can this be used as an early extension training aid too?

Yes. I forgot to mention it but it's low enough that you can use it throughout the swing, and heavy enough if you use a 4x4 or even a 2x4 (I went with a 4x4 so I could put two clamps on it, so I knew that would be pretty close to perpendicular) it shouldn't fall over unless you REALLY push it hard. Harder than anyone ever has in a golf swing except maybe Charles Barkley. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s my version. I used what I had on hand. 2x4s stacked are only 3” wide. I have some 1/2” stock I can use to make it wider. I will use it for EE, work as well  

0E997EA4-8A4A-492A-AFF4-E45D4D629CC7.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Very nice, guys. I can see some patent applications in your futures. However, on the marketing end, I'd like to suggest a more appropriate name than "Butt Board". How about the "Posterior Positional Placement Pedestal"?  😀

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 9:16 PM, boogielicious said:

Here’s my version. I used what I had on hand. 2x4s stacked are only 3” wide. I have some 1/2” stock I can use to make it wider. I will use it for EE, work as well  

0E997EA4-8A4A-492A-AFF4-E45D4D629CC7.jpeg

I was practicing with this kind of gear last summer to prevent early extension and... it doesn’t work. I mean it works while you are using the aid but not afterwards. At least for me. That is because by using this you kind of forcibly rotate your hips and while that might look good it’s not the correct movement. The rotation of the hips on the downswing is a consequence not something you want to do actively.  For example if you bend your knees about half way to a squat you can rotate your hips super fast but that doesn’t add anything to your golf swing. If you rather than rotate your hips, turn into your back hip on the backswing and then the rotation of the hips is a consequence of you pushing off your lead leg and thereby pushing your lead hip back this adds a lot of power to your swing and by result rotates your hips. I hope you can make some sense of this post, I do think Malaska has a video where he explains it brilliantly. 

10 minutes ago, Killa said:

I was practicing with this kind of gear last summer to prevent early extension and... it doesn’t work. I mean it works while you are using the aid but not afterwards. At least for me. That is because by using this you kind of forcibly rotate your hips and while that might look good it’s not the correct movement. The rotation of the hips on the downswing is a consequence not something you want to do actively.  For example if you bend your knees about half way to a squat you can rotate your hips super fast but that doesn’t add anything to your golf swing. If you rather than rotate your hips, turn into your back hip on the backswing and then the rotation of the hips is a consequence of you pushing off your lead leg and thereby pushing your lead hip back this adds a lot of power to your swing and by result rotates your hips. I hope you can make some sense of this post, I do think Malaska has a video where he explains it brilliantly. 

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. I’m not forcing my hips to do anything with this. This is a swing aid for me to get the feel of where my backside is while not early extending. I use it for a few swings then do the same drill without it. It’s working well and my instructor is encouraging me to keep using it. My instructor gives me priority pieces to work on. This is just one aid. I do use the feel of pushing back with my left foot on the downswing and dragging my right foot forward.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Just now, boogielicious said:

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. I’m not forcing my hips to do anything with this. This is a swing aid for me to get the feel of where my backside is while not early extending. I use it for a few swings then do the same drill without it. It’s working well and my instructor is encouraging me to keep using it. My instructor gives me priority pieces to work on. This is just one aid. I do use the feel of pushing back with my left foot on the downswing and dragging my right foot forward.

Ok I think if you are doing it like that it will be useful. But I see a lot of people advocating using this for rotating the hips consciously and that doesn’t work as it engages different muscles. 

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Killa said:

Lotta “feel ain’t real” and personal or specific to you stuff in there.

And I use it mostly for setup.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI,

Something to consider —- the vertebrae of the average human will only turn / twist approx.  30 degrees . If you lock your butt against a wall so you can’t rotate your hips  how are you going to make a 90 degree bs?

• Administrator
Just now, Lane Holt said:

Something to consider —- the vertebrae of the average human will only turn / twist approx.  30 degrees . If you lock your butt against a wall so you can’t rotate your hips  how are you going to make a 90 degree bs?

Not sure where you’re seeing that.

57 minutes ago, Lane Holt said:

FYI,

That is not what the board is for. You don’t lock your butt. It gives you a sense of the proper set up and can be used for EE work as I have done.

Scott

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, Lane Holt said:

Boogie,

Sorry I misunderstood your intent. I assume EE means (  early extension ) and is the same as hitting / throwing from the top ? 

No. Early extension is when your hips come in towards the ball too soon instead of continuing to rotate keeping your upper body on plane. The BB just provides a reference point during drills. 

• Informative 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!