IGNORED

A Reverse Texas Scramble

JuliWooli
Note: This thread is 1151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Clubs are still packed away for the winter and probably will be for another month, so I will not be trying anything for a while. Throw torn left knee cartilage into the equation, and my season might be over before it begins. At the very least, I won't be doing a lot. 😒

Sorry to hear that. I understand through my dad how frustrating this can be. 🤞

• Administrator
2 hours ago, JuliWooli said:

When was the last time you were delighted with a bogey round?

Think about it, being the team player who holds it together best. Consistently knocking a reasonable tee shot to the middle of the fairway or green, solid approach shots, creative scrambling and nerves of steel on the green. A superman!

Huh?

Worst ball is fine playing your own ball. It’s a recipe for disaster and not fun playing with others.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

58 minutes ago, iacas said:

It’s a recipe for disaster and not fun playing with others.

I know I'm not selling you here @Chief but that's where the surprise element kicks in. You're probably not going to find yourself in some of the amusing/unexpected places with your own game. I'm also pretty sure you could improve a student's game plan with this format. LSW

Edited by JuliWooli

• Administrator

@JuliWooli I improve my students without having to make them endure this.

Even wrote a book on it.

• Funny 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

@JuliWooli I improve my students without having to make them endure this.

Even wrote a book on it.

:-D I think I could write at least 10 books using just your posts. Is that allowed?

Once again...

respect.jpg.ce88198ee344ca8e3da46cd3b5462948.jpg

I know you love my 'Reverse Scramble' really. I'm telling no-one!

• Administrator

Oy.

Who decides what the “worst” ball is? One ball may be in the fairway and another is in the rough with a decent lie but 60 yards (you can convert to meters 😉)closer to the hole. I could argue that the ball in the rough is the “worst” and should be played. There is often the opposite debate in a regular scramble, but there is a common goal to give your team the best advantage. 

- Shane

7 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Who decides what the “worst” ball is? One ball may be in the fairway and another is in the rough with a decent lie but 60 yards (you can convert to meters 😉)closer to the hole. I could argue that the ball in the rough is the “worst” and should be played. There is often the opposite debate in a regular scramble, but there is a common goal to give your team the best advantage. 

Easy your opponents!

Although its normally obvious. For example...

Plugged lie in the bunker or behind the same bunker in thick rough. Who cares someone is going to wreck one of them.

Just now, JuliWooli said:

Easy your opponents!

Although its normally obvious. For example...

Plugged lie in the bunker or behind the same bunker in thick rough. Who cares someone is going to wreck one of them.

If there’s three on a team, that would make six people in the group. I don’t see that happening on this side of the pond unless you own the course. I know you stated that it would have to be in the evening, but our courses are often busy with golf leagues in the evening  

All three players on the team need to hole a 4’ putt for it to be holed, correct? Sounds dreadfully slow...

- Shane

Just now, CarlSpackler said:

If there’s three on a team, that would make six people in the group. I don’t see that happening on this side of the pond unless you own the course. I know you stated that it would have to be in the evening, but our courses are often busy with golf leagues in the evening  

All three players on the team need to hole a 4’ putt for it to be holed, correct? Sounds dreadfully slow...

Yes, that's why I like the 2 player teams being kicked about here or even going out with a partner and playing 2 balls each on every shot, playing the worst ball each time.

As I said its very difficult to organise one flight, a tournament would be impossible. I don't think I would be very popular with the clock watchers.

Putting is mental in this format.

2 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I would say that is a majority of people here. 

Still a fun game though!

Its totally different from the boring scramble with all those whoops and high fives, You don't get many of them in the reverse format. Mainly sighs of relief once a hole has been completed. Sometimes the team is so mentally exhausted they are petrified beyond belief.

Great fun!

8 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I get it. For the record, I'm not a fan of regular Texas Scrambles either. I love match play formats (four-ball, foursomes, singles). A foursomes match is a real pressure cooker.

How can you not love scrambles?! Your worst shots of the day don't count, and if you're not going first and someone's already put down a reasonable shot then you can try to destroy drives or stiff pins!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

25 minutes ago, mdl said:

How can you not love scrambles?! Your worst shots of the day don't count, and if you're not going first and someone's already put down a reasonable shot then you can try to destroy drives or stiff pins!

How can you not love reverse scrambles? Your best shots of the day don't count, and if you're going last and everyone has already nailed it, then you can let them all down with this nerve-wracking shot. Heaps of pressure. Character building. There's no comparison.

2 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

How can you not love reverse scrambles? Your best shots of the day don't count, and if you're going last and everyone has already nailed it, then you can let them all down with this nerve-wracking shot. Heaps of pressure. Character building. There's no comparison.

My team's going to have a lot of straight/short hitters on it.  And the Laphroaig will be doled out carefully.

55 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Still a fun game though!

If you enjoy it, great. You haven’t sold me. 

16 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

How can you not love reverse scrambles?

One word... Cheaters. 

11 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

And the Laphroaig will be doled out carefully.

WTH is that? Is this English?

- Shane

On 2/24/2021 at 2:16 PM, JuliWooli said:

I have never managed more than nine holes at this game (takes too long) ...

Talk about taking too long... I once played in something called a Banked Scramble.  You play as an individual.  You get to hit two shots off the tee.  If you like your first, don't hit a 2nd, and "bank" that extra shot for later on the hole. 

So if you banked every shot on a par 5 and reached the green in regulation you'd have 5 putts at birdie. The 3 shots you banked (saved) and the 2 putts you're allotted anyway.  You do have to use all the banked shots on the same hole.

We played in threesomes, but it still was a 5 1/2 hour round.

Won't do that again.

11 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

WTH is that? Is this English?

Not English.  It's a Scottish single-malt scotch.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

10 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

One word... Cheaters.

Doesn't happen. The opposing team is normally very strict about all the rules. Theeir eagerness for your failure makes it impossible to cheat. Think about it, three guys from the other team, that want you to fail, watching your every move.There is definitely a laxer attitude in normal scrambles.

Note: This thread is 1151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!