IGNORED

JB Holmes, Next Big Thing?

SubPar
Note: This thread is 5874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After watching the Tavistock Cup, I began to think JB Holmes may be the next big star on the PGA Tour. He won individual low score, closest to the pin and long drive. It is no minor thing when a guy can play a 573 yard hole and stick his second shot close... with an 8 iron!

He has gotten some attention due to his ball crushing drives, but the guy also has a solid short game and he can putt! In addition to his physical skills he has that "cock of the walk" attitude which he picked up after taking Phil down in a playoff. Unlike some other long-hitting young guns, Holmes seems to be able to put the whole package together.

JB Holmes seems to have a lot going for him right now and I am wondering what others think of his prospects for multiple wins this year and maybe moving into the top ten in World ranking.

SubPar

Holmes is going to have some success on TOUR, sure. I think he also said he's working on playing more quickly, or some such, so if that's accurate, he's got my appreciation too.

Not that he needs anything from me. Wasn't he on HS Varsity since like 3rd grade? Or am I thinking of someone else.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He seems like an alright guy... but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... he needs to do something about that pre shot routine.... it is absolutely obnoxious.

little swing
little swing
medium swing
medium fast swing
step back
faint forward
step back
twitch
faint forward
step back
HIT THE DAMN BALL ALREADY
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

He beat Phil and then he had Tiger seriously on the ropes at the match play. If Tiger had not played 14 thru 17 -5, Holmes would have beaten the #1 and #2 players, heads up. Holmes didn't fold, Tiger just had an incredible birdie-birdie-birdie-eagle run to save his butt.

I think he's poised to break out of the pack. At least that is something else to think about other than Tiger winning or losing.

SubPar

Only time will tell. He was very impressive this week but we will see how dominate and consistent he is in the up coming months. Remember how Bubba was suppose to be the next big thing but never pan out.

Rick T.
A Big Equipment Freak!!!
Life is too short not to tried everything out there

In the BagDriver: SuperQuad 10.5 REG BABYWoods: TP 3 or 5 woods R7 stiffIrons: AP1 4-PW w/Project X 5.5Wedge: Spin milled 54 (bent to 52) 56 & Special Grind "P" 60Putter: Gauge Design Japan " The Balde"Ball:...

He seems like an alright guy... but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... he needs to do something about that pre shot routine.... it is absolutely obnoxious.

100%

And it's pretty much universal that this pre-shot routine needs to be sorted out.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Wasn't he on HS Varsity since like 3rd grade? Or am I thinking of someone else.

I heard the announcers talking about that at Tavistock coverage (they said he would jump or hop to keep up with them off the tee

.... or something to that effect), that is why he hits it so far now.... I find it hard to believe, the average 3rd grader is 7 years old, average high school golfer is 13 to 18. I could believe it in the areas of chipping and putting. The local HS team must have been real sorry...or JB is a prodigy like Tiger... just with only 1 win or so.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

If J.B. Holmes was hitting the ball 290 yards off the tee, nobody would even be talking about him. His massive drives get him most of the attention which seems fitting in this day and age. When he solidifies his short game, then we can start talking about him being the next big thing. He was rolling at The Tavistock Cup, but did you see his finish? He limped in with bogey-bogey. The FBR Open seems to fit him well, but he hasn't done much anywhere else.

For the sake of golf, it's always nice to have 20-somethings playing well. But for my money, I'd take Hunter Mahan and Sean O'Hair all day. Those two are going to be more consistent on a week-to-week basis than Holmes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The next big thing is Kyle Lograsso....yeah he's 5 yrs old
but he's AWESOME!

In my Xtreme II carry bag:

Mizuno Driver
MacGregor 3Wood
Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 3i CG Gold Graphite Irons (4-PW) 52* CG14 wedge Vokey 56* Sand Wedge Vokey 60* Lob Wedge 33" Newport

I love J.B. Holmes...he has soo much talent and it is starting to show up recently...J.B. is a good ball striker but i think the x-factor for him this year is his chipping..He has really stepped up and made a lot of up and downs...

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I know this post may not find favour with a lot of people, but hey here it goes.

JB is NOT the next big thing, he is not even the next thing (he is quite big though ). When one looks at this record, he has won twice, at the same course, and were it not for that win he would not have kept his card.

When one looks at the vital stats (other than how far he can smash a golf ball, and how long a round takes him!) it makes for pretty dismal reading!

GIR 150-175yds - 55% - 172nd
GIR Putting 5'-10' - 50% - 167th
Scrambling > 30yds - 22.86% - 140th

I could go on and on, he is barely in top 100 for any key stats!

He is not the next big thing, i to be honest, never will be.

I think it maybe fairer to put this tag on a player like Rory McIlroy or Martin Kaymer etc!

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

You need at least one good season before you qualify for "big thing" talk.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Only time will tell. He was very impressive this week but we will see how dominate and consistent he is in the up coming months. Remember how Bubba was suppose to be the next big thing but never pan out.

Bubba had the best TV highlight of the season yesterday.

Too bad you'll never hear it with all of the sound again.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I think JB will eventually make the Ryder Cup--JB is the kind of guy that would be a great fit for a Captains Pick--He is great at Match Play because he intimidates people with his distance..

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I think JB will eventually make the Ryder Cup--JB is the kind of guy that would be a great fit for a Captains Pick--He is great at Match Play because he intimidates people with his distance..

There are 28 guys on tour, as of today, that average 290 or more off the tee. Five of them have played Ryder Cup.

You know the old saying "You drive for show and you putt for dough."

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

There are 28 guys on tour, as of today, that average 290 or more off the tee. Five of them have played Ryder Cup.

Yes--but you saw what JB did to Tiger.at the Match Play event...and that was when Tiger was putting good...JB almost beat him

Yes--but you saw what JB did to Tiger.at the Match Play event...and that was when Tiger was putting good...JB almost beat him

While he played well, he did not close out. He had a three hole lead with five to play and blew it. How do you think he's going to hold up in the Ryder Cup? When so much more is at stake? Furthermore, did you see his "aw-shucks" attitude? How it seemed that he was happy to actually battle Tiger instead of being royally pissed at blowing an opportunity?

Give me a guy who has the attitude and honesty of Woody Austin. Today, he failed to capitalize on an opportunity to win the Zurich. His reply "I choked my guts out, today."

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Note: This thread is 5874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!