IGNORED

Position at Address and Impact. Why do We Set up Differently?

Note: This thread is 976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, SEMI_Duffer said:

Video submitted for the grip portion of my current training:

https://www.linxnet.com/misc/images/Golf/IMG_2591.MOV

Nah that’s good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh well if anyone’s interested in the issue of the OP. This actually wasn’t about grip. The grip used in the face on example I was showing are neutral to strong. It looks weak because the face is set up closed. The thing I’m looking for is to eliminate that transition from cupped at address to flat (or bowed) during the backswing. I found if I set my wrist up flat at address I’m more conscious of exactly how the club face is oriented because I’m not moving though all those different positions. I guess the OP question really was... why do that since it introduces another layer of complexity into the swing which seems, to me, unnecessary.

17 minutes ago, KelvinPDX said:

Oh well if anyone’s interested in the issue of the OP. This actually wasn’t about grip. The grip used in the face on example I was showing are neutral to strong. It looks weak because the face is set up closed. The thing I’m looking for is to eliminate that transition from cupped at address to flat (or bowed) during the backswing. I found if I set my wrist up flat at address I’m more conscious of exactly how the club face is oriented because I’m not moving though all those different positions. I guess the OP question really was... why do that since it introduces another layer of complexity into the swing which seems, to me, unnecessary.

Hey! Is this your napkin you left behind at that diner? 🤣36477B32-520A-4D1B-81A5-84F75253980A.thumb.png.2070166c6cadc39f2597cd5d2743a091.png

• Funny 3

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

So funny. It’s exactly the opposite of what I’m doing right now. That is focusing on the wrist movement like a laser. Everyone else is trying to expand it out to their own issue. Strange how this process works here.

21 minutes ago, KelvinPDX said:

Everyone else is trying to expand it out to their own issue. Strange how this process works here.

It’s a conversation, yes? And since most of us are not golf instructors and none of us are you, we can only relate with our own experiences.

The extra movements in the backswing create additional dynamic movements in the downswing. They help to create better launch conditions and generate more power. There’s a reason the full swing and a chip are different motions.

If you want to eliminate these things in the pursuit of better consistency for you, nobody is going to stop you. But if you’re going to propose these ideas from the POV of swing theory and question why they occur, then you’re going to get answers that aren’t relevant to you. You may have started the topic, but there are other people who might be reading that are interested in learning about what you asked.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

That’s super cool. I was just commenting on the characterization of the cartoon. Seemed like a funny way of looking at it considering the goal, but I guess that’s my burden.

and yes all of this is a conversation, one that has helped me in the process. Just making fun of something that isn’t there isn’t comfortable absorbing. Especially in these times.

5 minutes ago, KelvinPDX said:

That’s super cool. I was just commenting on the characterization of the cartoon. Seemed like a funny way of looking at it considering the goal, but I guess that’s my burden.

and yes all of this is a conversation, one that has helped me in the process. Just making fun of something that isn’t there isn’t comfortable absorbing. Especially in these times.

It was a joke. It’s just golf. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, KelvinPDX said:

That’s cool... just on a hair trigger nowadays. Probably shouldn’t be online. 

Actually, this is a great place for you to be! Talk about golf, have some laughs. That’s my point, it’s just golf. 👍

16 hours ago, KelvinPDX said:

Everyone else is trying to expand it out to their own issue.

In my setup and grip comments I was addressing your point specifically.  Grip matters.  It matters so much that our pro taught proper grip before anything else.  My current instruction taught aspects of the stance, first, but taught grip before having us begin to train with a club in our hands.

16 hours ago, KelvinPDX said:

Strange how this process works here.

It's not strange at all.  It's discussion on an open Internet forum.  This is how such things work.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/19/2021 at 10:50 AM, iacas said:

There’s really no reason to set up like you are at impact, and a bunch of good players really couldn’t even non-dynamically set up like they are at impact, because they get there dynamically.

I am no expert, but I would say that to have much power you have to get there dynamically.  The impact position is one you move through, I don't think you could actually set up in it, really.

2 minutes ago, jlbos83 said:

I am no expert, but I would say that to have much power you have to get there dynamically.  The impact position is one you move through, I don't think you could actually set up in it, really.

This is a discussion I’d really like to see between Jim Venetos and swing experts/biomechanics. Sorry this a bit OT...but he does in fact base is entire method on set up being most important for superior ball striking. And if he truly can generate 118mph SS without using a weight shift or shoulder/hip as in the conventional way, I’d like to know how he does it.

Taken to the extreme, if I could set up in impact position, I could stare at the ball all day, and won't go anywhere.  So clearly how one gets to (and through) that position much be a little bit important.

• 5 months later...

Lately, with my longer clubs (>=7), at address, I've been opening the face just a little bit, and bending the shaft forward just a little (see picture).  

I think I'm doing this, b/c I like to stand close to the ball, and I'm compensating for the longer club (vs for instance a 9 iron).  

But doing this---having the face open at address just slightly, and the shaft leaning forward just slightly---feels great! My backswing feels easier, my hips and shoulders go into motion more easily, and I'm striking the ball better (and it seems to be going straighter, face squares up at contact).  

Is it a good idea to keep doing this? (opening up the face slightly at address before the back swing), or am I developing a bad habit!? 

IMG_20210905_193809_2.jpg

IMG_20210905_193809_4.jpg

That looks closed. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yeah…I was typing the same thing as @saevel25

8D74261F-3C33-4C9E-A43D-A2144F558C7E.jpeg

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

That looks closed. 

I may have not illustrated it correctly, but I definitely meant open face.

But in either case: if you had a slight open aspect or a slight closed aspect to your club face at address, is it possible that this could actually help you?   It just feels more comfortable in my backswing. I feel like I can get things going, helps me rotate the toe of the club up into the air and come down with it hard.

I get good results, nice straight shot and appropriate distance.   But I'm worried that I might be developing a bad habit, I might be getting good results just serendipitously

6 hours ago, DrMetal said:

if you had a slight open aspect or a slight closed aspect to your club face at address, is it possible that this could actually help you?

It’s fine. You don’t have to be square to your target at address.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!