IGNORED

New or Old PING Drivers

Note: This thread is 1044 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a high handicapper relatively new to golf looking to buy my first driver. I have previously just been hitting a hybrid off the tee.

I tried out my friend's Ping G driver the other day and liked it so was thinking I might buy it. But then I started wondering how much difference a high handicapper like me would notice between Ping drivers of the last ten years, if any? All I want is a driver that gives me the most forgiveness possible. Distance isn't important.

So should I be looking at getting something more recent, i.e. G425 or G400 max? Is their forgiveness really much that much better than older models like the G, or even models older than that like the G20 and G30?

Ideally I'd try it out for myself but this will probably be too difficult with the restrictions where I live.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, timbrox said:

I'm a high handicapper relatively new to golf looking to buy my first driver. I have previously just been hitting a hybrid off the tee.

I tried out my friend's Ping G driver the other day and liked it so was thinking I might buy it. But then I started wondering how much difference a high handicapper like me would notice between Ping drivers of the last ten years, if any? All I want is a driver that gives me the most forgiveness possible. Distance isn't important.

So should I be looking at getting something more recent, i.e. G425 or G400 max? Is their forgiveness really much that much better than older models like the G, or even models older than that like the G20 and G30?

Ideally I'd try it out for myself but this will probably be too difficult with the restrictions where I live.

Thanks!

Welcome to The Sand Trap. Ping drivers, for the most part, are amongst the most forgiving. The newer model have some improvements, but if you are just getting started the G model is a decent place. Ask you friend if you can borrow the driver and go to the range with it and hit it versus your hybrid.

I would advise you to go to stores and hit a bunch of drivers with different weight shafts and see what feels, looks and sounds best to you before buying anything new. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

G410 plus. Awesome driver, very forgiving and Ping introduced weights on the head to promote fade or draw. I highly recommend. Personally I think it is longer than the G400. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

3 hours ago, timbrox said:

Thanks!

I would not go older than the G30 that is what I currently play and appears to be of a similar design and material as the newer ones. The G20 looks to have more metal and less composite

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Save some money and buy a G20. It is so forgiving it is almost like cheating and is as long as anything out there. I have tried every driver on the market and the only driver that was longer for me was longer by only 3 yards. 

• Like 1

The G driver is a good one. I had one for three months until I got my Exotics back after I got separated.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 1044 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!