IGNORED

NCAA Cancels Baton Rouge Regional

iacas
Note: This thread is 905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

This was in the news and I'm surprised nobody posted about it. So, here goes…

E1JLm9NWQA0o24q.jpg

After three days of rain prevented an NCAA Division I Women's regional tournament from commencing, the event was canceled Wednesday.

Baton Rouge has been hammered by rain this week, with seven inches falling on the University Club golf course, one of the NCAA Women’s Golf Regional sites. That meant that heading into today, it looked like the...

That's bullshit, and honestly, it reminds me of the bullshit the PIAA pulled with Natalie and Zoey last year. These are unique and special times, and now current seniors and last year's juniors will go TWO SEASONS without having a chance to compete in their last collegiate rounds (knowingly). They've been robbed of two seasons of play.

I don't care if you set the course up as a series of par threes played from mats — if the players are willing to play for it like that, and the coaches are, and they're all willing — I think you find a way to make it happen. Go to another course. Involve the coaches and by extension the players in the decision-making process. Play 18 holes. Play 6 holes one day starting at 5pm because that's all you can get in, and then pick up there the next day. Do something.

The NCAA often sucks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to NCAA Cancels Baton Rouge Regional

I think this was a case of many of us assuming somebody had posted this. I agree. Totally unacceptable move by the NCAA. When I first heard this I thought, ‘ok…what’s the real reason it was canceled.’ I couldn’t believe they actually admitted the course was playable…stop right there. The nonsense about not being playable at a championship level? Another black mark for the NCAA.

Did you read that Bar Stool Sports is trying to host a tournament for the ones who didn’t get to play? Of course the NCAA won’t sanction it….but a nice move on Bar Stool’s behalf.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

This is idiotic. Why not just postpone it. I agree, find a different course. 

NCAA sucks

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

Go to another course.

I like this. 

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

don't care if you set the course up as a series of par threes played from mats — if the players are willing to play for it like that, and the coaches are, and they're all willing — I think you find a way to make it happen.

But not this. I get the notion of “it’s better than nothing, and the players deserve something,” but I don’t like this idea.

I know none of these are likely to occur, but say something analogous were to happen to a football field or a basketball court, or even the Masters for that matter. Would we be ok with a football game being played only with one end zone and half the field? Would we be ok with half court basketball? Would we be ok with having the Masters as a par 3 or moving it to the par 3 course? My guess as to all of these would be a resounding “no.” While some may think “something is better than nothing,” I don’t agree when the quality is so diminished that it is so materially different. 

but that’s my own opinion. Others can disagree, and I see your point. I just disagree, even though I feel bad for the women who had this happen to them. The NCAA should’ve just moved courses. 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

But not this. I get the notion of “it’s better than nothing, and the players deserve something,” but I don’t like this idea.

I also said "if the players are willing to play for it like that." So, in that case, they'd be deciding for themselves. If they wanted to play rock-paper-scissors to decide who went, who are we to say anything but "hey, they wanted that."

19 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Would we be ok with half court basketball?

If the only other option was not to play at all, I would be, yeah.

And those situations you created aren't the same. Golf is still golf even when it's played on an executive course, or a 15-hole course, or shortening a few holes and playing a par-67 or something. Half-field football is more different than those scenarios.

20 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Would we be ok with having the Masters as a par 3 or moving it to the par 3 course?

I would be:

Just as I was okay with what the Pure Silk did.

21 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

My guess as to all of these would be a resounding “no.”

So, you're a bad guesser. No shame in that. 🙂

22 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I don’t agree when the quality is so diminished that it is so materially different. 

I don't think the "quality is so diminished." Play the golf course. Play the 16 holes that you can play on the course, and play 'em twice. Do something within reason. They had options. They took the worst one.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

I also said "if the players are willing to play for it like that." So, in that case, they'd be deciding for themselves. If they wanted to play rock-paper-scissors to decide who went, who are we to say anything but "hey, they wanted that."

If the only other option was not to play at all, I would be, yeah.

And those situations you created aren't the same. Golf is still golf even when it's played on an executive course, or a 15-hole course, or shortening a few holes and playing a par-67 or something. Half-field football is more different than those scenarios.

I would be:

Just as I was okay with what the Pure Silk did.

So, you're a bad guesser. No shame in that. 🙂

I don't think the "quality is so diminished." Play the golf course. Play the 16 holes that you can play on the course, and play 'em twice. Do something within reason. They had options. They took the worst one.

Fair enough. I suppose if my wife, daughter, or niece were playing in this, I’d agree. I guess I’m looking at it from a fan’s/viewer’s perspective and the lack of quality production. However, playing 16 holes or whatever and playing them twice is different in my eyes than relegating it to a par 3 tournament off mats. Your former suggestion is completely valid, and I’m not sure why they didn’t do that because, based upon the pictures of the course, they could’ve done something like you’re suggesting. Consent or no, it’s just the par 3 notion is the kicker for me. 

Either way, I feel bad for the ladies. Such a shame and a bummer. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Fair enough. I suppose if my wife, daughter, or niece were playing in this, I’d agree. I guess I’m looking at it from a fan’s/viewer’s perspective and the lack of quality production.

This is the part I don't get: the production over what? Not playing at all?

I agree it shouldn't be decided by a putting competition on the practice green, but if you can play actual golf, play it.

Executive courses are still golf, even if it takes driver out of the bags of players.

(And that's not something they'd have had to do anyway - the course was playable. They said maybe one par four might have to be shortened to a par three, but that was about it from all I'd read.)

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Executive courses are still golf, even if it takes driver out of the bags of players.

Yeah it’s golf. I just wouldn’t consider it to be championship-caliber golf, even if it was called a championship. Mere technical compliance wouldn’t do it for me. It’s certainly a far cry from a putting contest on the practice green, but I just wouldn’t be for it, not would I watch it. Maybe others would, so that’s fine. And like you said, it’d be better than nothing—at least for the athletes, their parents, the coaches, and their respective schools. 

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

It’s certainly a far cry from a putting contest on the practice green, but I just wouldn’t be for it, not would I watch it.

Nobody was watching it (on TV anyway), and if your son/daughter was playing, I just about guarantee you'd watch.

And that you'd want your son/daughter, especially if they were a senior, to play for the championship rather than being opted out because they're not in the top six or three.

• Thumbs Up 1

What utter nonsense.  I'm still upset about a lot of the meaningless cancellations we've seen recently.  This one might take the cake:  it's still playable and they're cancelling it!?!!?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

Basically, instead of 18 teams at 4 sites each, they're doing 12 teams each at 6 sites, making it easier to compete in case of bad weather.

The same number of teams will move on (24), but that now means 4 of 12 instead of 6 of 18.

Note: This thread is 905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!