IGNORED

Keep Old Clubs or Move On?

Note: This thread is 1060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, beginner here with an advice question here. For background, I'm a younger, fairly healthy young guy who is looking to play golf a lot more. I currently have a cheap set of starter top flite clubs I bought a few years ago to be able to hit some balls around with my buddies. However, I discovered after I had played a couple times already that, in my newbie ignorance, I had gotten the graphite set normally intended for seniors. For the past 8 or so years I've had these clubs, I only played 2-3 times a year so it didn't seem like a big deal. However, I'm wanting to start playing a lot more often and serious and really improve my game. Will learning on these clubs be a hinderance somehow or should I go ahead and look into getting some other clubs? 

Senior clubs just have softer shafts. I’ve seen younger guys with slow swings who would be fine with them, not that I’m saying that you fit the bill.

As a relative beginner, I think you might be better off with some lessons. Your instructor should be able to tell if your clubs need to be replaced.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would suggest you keep these and see how your game progresses before you decide to spend money on new clubs.  If you find yourself struggling with a two way miss because of the clubs, the shafts are probably wrong for you, but don't decide that without actually playing and more importantly practicing

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, billchao said:

Senior clubs just have softer shafts. I’ve seen younger guys with slow swings who would be fine with them, not that I’m saying that you fit the bill.

As a relative beginner, I think you might be better off with some lessons. Your instructor should be able to tell if your clubs need to be replaced.

I was considering some lessons but wasn't sure if I should bite the bullet on them or continue to practice and try to develop my swing with self study, but this advice makes me lean towards lessons. 

6 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

I would suggest you keep these and see how your game progresses before you decide to spend money on new clubs.  If you find yourself struggling with a two way miss because of the clubs, the shafts are probably wrong for you, but don't decide that without actually playing and more importantly practicing

This makes sense and I actually do like the clubs compared to a couple others I've tried here and there. I just had a strange worry that if I got used to these clubs it would hinder my future game with clubs with less flex if I moved to that down the line but this alleviates those fears. 

If you are really going to play more and get better, I would suggest a nice used set of steel shafted clubs that fit you and your swing.

Taylor made, Callaway, Ping, Titleist, Cobra etc .......

• iacas changed the title to Keep Old Clubs or Move On?
Note: This thread is 1060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!