IGNORED

M4 Driver Help

Note: This thread is 1002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I need your help.  I just bought an 8.5 degree M4 used off of 2nd swing.  It was given a 7 which means scuffs wear etc, but nothing that would hurt performance.

Anyway, I hit it yesterday and the thing I noticed was that it was not loud at all.  Sounded kind of dead actually.  The ball seemed to fly nicely though.  Now admittedly I was comparing it to the sound my m3 makes (which folks have told me is ear piercing).  That said, I'm wondering from folks who have used an M4 and M3 if you think the M4 had a much more muted sound from the m3 or not.  Also, di you think the M4 was loud, or did your M4 have a more muted sound as well?

The only othe thing I could think of is that maybe the lower loft on the M4 made for a more muted sound?

Please let me know asap as I'm concerned I might have a dead driver and need to send it back to 2nd swing (still paid $220 for it).

Thanks for your help guys!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to M4 Driver Help
  • Administrator

Two things:

1. If the ball is flying fine, it's not "dead."
  2. If you call TaylorMade, I'm pretty sure they'd verify the serial number.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Two things:

1. If the ball is flying fine, it's not "dead."
  2. If you call TaylorMade, I'm pretty sure they'd verify the serial number.

^this

From one review I saw on YouTube, the M4 was much louder than the M3. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

So...Just played a round with it.  Gotta loud it up into game golf to be sure, but for the most part it seemed to be flying ok.  It just isn't loud for some reason..

Well according to game golf I had 4 drives over 270 (one was downhill).  I flew one drive 230 yards into the wind uphill so I'm gonna say the driver is ok (just not loud).  I think it will def help me with distance over my 12 degree M3 (which I would have to absolutely CRUSH to get over 250 yards with).

12 minutes ago, MattM said:

Well according to game golf I had 4 drives over 270 (one was downhill).  I flew one drive 230 yards into the wind uphill so I'm gonna say the driver is ok (just not loud).  I think it will def help me with distance over my 12 degree M3 (which I would have to absolutely CRUSH to get over 250 yards with).

Why not take them both to a simulator and compare ball speeds on centered contact?

Colin P.

Again I will say it has very likely been hot melted. Does it feel "thin" when you hit it or is it more of a thud? If it's a thud, that tells me hotmelt. 

2 hours ago, Adam C said:

Again I will say it has very likely been hot melted. Does it feel "thin" when you hit it or is it more of a thud? If it's a thud, that tells me hotmelt. 

I've got a M5 Tour that goes "thud" but hits well regardless (nice cut, barely a fade, definitely not a slice).  I suspected hotmelt.  Any downside? Hypothetically, can it be removed if one wanted to tinker with it?

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

21 hours ago, mohearn said:

I've got a M5 Tour that goes "thud" but hits well regardless (nice cut, barely a fade, definitely not a slice).  I suspected hotmelt.  Any downside? Hypothetically, can it be removed if one wanted to tinker with it?

No downside. Simply used for the sound/feel and a little for weight in some cases. There is no getting it out but you shouldn't have any need to. Most golfers prefer the sound after hotmelt. 

• Thumbs Up 1

After reading about it I'm thinking that's what happened to mine.  It still has a "ting" sound, but not as loud.  

• 2 weeks later...

So after two rounds at my home course and comparing drives hit into the wind this club is definitely solid and must have had hotmelt or something.  Comparing this against me my rounds with my M3 it's A SOLID 25 yards further!  Exactly what I was hoping for!

For anyone wondering though...Ihit my drives really high and I started using a 12 degree m3 (on lowest setting) to give me more forgiveness, but the backspin was causing my drives to balloon and took off tons of distance.  I went the oppposit with this M4 and got an 8.5 degree M4 on the lowest setting.  I still hit it plenty high, but def no ballooning!  Really excited about the performance of this club!

Note: This thread is 1002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!