IGNORED

Grip Alignment

Note: This thread is 963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I change my own grips often. I find it easier and more convenient than taking them to a shop. I changed the grips on my wife’s clubs. She recently took a lesson where the instructor told her the grips are not aligned correctly. I already knew that but I don’t pay any attention to the alignment of a grip when I put it on. I don’t see the point of it. Do people actually look at the grip to see how to place their hands on it?  Some grips don’t even have any markings on them. I don’t see the importance of lining up the grip with the face square and then using that to make sure your grip is correct. Any thoughts on this ?

Just now, Mkgrady said:

Do people actually look at the grip to see how to place their hands on it?  Some grips don’t even have any markings on them. I don’t see the importance of lining up the grip with the face square and then using that to make sure your grip is correct. Any thoughts on this ?

1) Grips with a noticeable spine to them
2) Grips with labels, I like mine turned upside down
3) Maybe grips that with different textures for the top and bottom hand that are not uniform depending on alignment
4) putter grips with a flat side

For the most part, I never bothered with alignment of the grip outside of not having the logo facing up. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I personally prefer grips with alignment marks set with the club face square. I think it helps me to ensure that I have my hands in the same config each time. That said, it's been so long since my grips were aligned that way that I've learned to ignore the grip markings. I suppose that grip alignment, like ball choice, is very much a subjective thing.

It does bother me a little but the advent of adjustable hosels has got me used to it.  I use Tour Velvet grips to minimize it. Tour velvet is not a “busy” looking grip like a GP  MCC either.

I was giving a lesson last night and the student just got a set of irons and had Golf Galaxy put midsize MCC grips on them.  They are all over the place.  It’s like Helen Keller did them.  I noticed it right away, I didn’t say anything to the student about it because it didn’t affect anything and he was happy with the clubs.

9 hours ago, Mkgrady said:

Do people actually look at the grip to see how to place their hands on it?

I do to some degree especially when I’m gripping down for a shot. But it doesn’t matter to me whether markings are up or down. I look more at the head when I grip the club.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...

I do my own clubs and a few sets a year for others. I prefer the logo or whatever upside down, it just serves as a distraction.  When people want them logo up I'll put masking tape on the shaft  below the grip I'm removing and mark where the alignment is using a straight edge and fine point pen. That way they will notice no alignment difference between the new and old grips.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I do not like grips with lines on them for this reason.  My favorite grip is the golfpride 360 with no marks or lines on it.  If you end up making adjustments to your club by lofting up/down then those alignment marks get changed but that would only really pertain to the woods or adjustable hybrids.  

• 2 weeks later...

Grip alignment works well for me to reinforce what I am seeing at the club face.  Golf has so many little subtleties that can affect results in a big way.  Every little bit of reinforcement helps imho.  If the grips have markings, I set them up in a way that reinforces to my eye that I am setting up and gripping in the position that I want. 

Note: This thread is 963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!