IGNORED

2 Inch Tipping, a Magic Result

Colins69

I tipped a Matrix graphite raw shaft 2inches, I'm a novice tinkering golf but that likes to think I learnt some watching utube video and reading Maltby Wishon et'also. 

I bought 2 matrix white tie A flex graphite shafts, one I cut std to use in my Callaway epic sub zero driver and it didn't work for me. I then decided to try the other shaft with 2inch tipping on a Taylormade R15 430cc head I recently bought leaving the butt as is. I discussed this with a friend who has tinkered for more than 10 years and is a perfectionist, he said not a good idea because I would likely ruin the shaft and achieve nothing. Obviously I don't listen once I've decided on a course of action, it wouldn't hurt anyone else just lost $50 so no biggie, so the end result is I've got a shaft that works for me so much so I gained 21 metres in CARRY distance and straight ish, huge gain for me. I think I've stiffened the tip and gone to firm regular, I feel the head and have feel in the swing that I never had before ever. I'm still recovering from a serious illness so as time goes by and I get stronger I will change the driver shaft again but will keep this shaft, in my golfing life I've used any shaft a Pro said to use without knowing or understanding the WHY. I don't think I will ever know why but will enjoy tinkering....

39 minutes ago, Colins69 said:

I tipped a Matrix graphite raw shaft 2inches, I'm a novice tinkering golf but that likes to think I learnt some watching utube video and reading Maltby Wishon et'also. 

I bought 2 matrix white tie A flex graphite shafts, one I cut std to use in my Callaway epic sub zero driver and it didn't work for me. I then decided to try the other shaft with 2inch tipping on a Taylormade R15 430cc head I recently bought leaving the butt as is. I discussed this with a friend who has tinkered for more than 10 years and is a perfectionist, he said not a good idea because I would likely ruin the shaft and achieve nothing. Obviously I don't listen once I've decided on a course of action, it wouldn't hurt anyone else just lost $50 so no biggie, so the end result is I've got a shaft that works for me so much so I gained 21 metres in CARRY distance and straight ish, huge gain for me. I think I've stiffened the tip and gone to firm regular, I feel the head and have feel in the swing that I never had before ever. I'm still recovering from a serious illness so as time goes by and I get stronger I will change the driver shaft again but will keep this shaft, in my golfing life I've used any shaft a Pro said to use without knowing or understanding the WHY. I don't think I will ever know why but will enjoy tinkering....

Glad you like it. @Adam C might be able to explain why. He’s a club builder and has done his share of tinkering I’m sure.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Colins69 said:

Looks as if you put a 7 wood shaft in a driver.

http://www.matrixshafts.com.cn/TRIMMING-GUIDE.pdf

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• iacas changed the title to 2 Inch Tipping, a Magic Result
2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Looks as if you put a 7 wood shaft in a driver.

http://www.matrixshafts.com.cn/TRIMMING-GUIDE.pdf

Yeah could be 5, 7, or 9 wood according to their chart except total length is 46.5inches. I will verify total length as I'm not sure, just standing next to my other driver which I think is 45.5inches ? 

Don't know what effect that length has?

6 hours ago, Colins69 said:

Longer shaft means you can generate more clubhead speed and will generally have greater dispersion

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

6 hours ago, Colins69 said:

Yeah could be 5, 7, or 9 wood according to their chart except total length is 46.5inches. I will verify total length as I'm not sure, just standing next to my other driver which I think is 45.5inches ? 

Shafts come in lengths of 46”. You tipped 2” to 44”. After install, you add the hosel length for your TaylorMade R15 430cc head, which is 1- 1.5”. So it’s probably around 45 to 45.5”. Length makes a difference in velocity. If your other driver was shorter, you could be adding distance that way on this setup. The tip on this setup will be stiffer too. That could help as well if your swing speed is increasing as you recover from your illness. 

Heads on woods, like irons, increase in weight as the shafts gets shorter. So a driver heads weighs less than a 3 wood. 3W<5W<7W. Tipping allows the shaft to be used for different woods by increasing the stiffness per length tip removed to counteract the increased head weight.

It is fun to play around with this stuff though isn’t it!😀

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 hours ago, Adam C said:

Are you usually in an A flex or was that something new for you?

Was Stiff graphite shaft in my Callaway ERCII that I hit 250meters, 5 years ago I hit 265 checked by friends GPS. I bought the A flex shafts because they were cheap and investment for the future, didn't know when I would use them and didn't think it would be this soon lol. Who knows what's happening tomorrow, enjoy the moment is my advise...

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Shafts come in lengths of 46”. You tipped 2” to 44”. After install, you add the hosel length for your TaylorMade R15 430cc head, which is 1- 1.5”. So it’s probably around 45 to 45.5”. Length makes a difference in velocity. If your other driver was shorter, you could be adding distance that way on this setup. The tip on this setup will be stiffer too. That could help as well if your swing speed is increasing as you recover from your illness. 

Heads on woods, like irons, increase in weight as the shafts gets shorter. So a driver heads weighs less than a 3 wood. 3W<5W<7W. Tipping allows the shaft to be used for different woods by increasing the stiffness per length tip removed to counteract the increased head weight.

It is fun to play around with this stuff though isn’t it!😀

Oh yeah I'm having a ball changing grips shafts adding lead tape etc, one thing that confused me is the R15 430cc head is for better players but the Callaway erc head was smaller and I think harder to hit because of the old technology. Your right I'm recovering well enough to have some lessons, after being in a coma for a month I don't remember some things. I thought I was swinging in to out but couldn't work out why I was hooking left and slicing right, irons were going both ways plus I got and eye infection while in the coma. Eye vision was making the wayward flight more problematic because I didn't know where the ball was going, 2 years on and I can see better and straighter so fingers crossed I will play golf without getting so frustrated lol... Appreciate the feedback by all, thanks.

• 6 months later...