IGNORED

Man Cave Upgrade - GC3 or Mevo+?

Note: This thread is 843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am in the process of re-organizing the man cave.  It’s pretty much always consisted of a fitness area, golf net, music studio, bar.  It will remain similar in function, but I have reduced the footprint of the fitness area after selling a rack and olympic weights.  This gives me the extra space to upgrade the golf set up, including the addition of a simulator.  I’ll use the simulator primarily for practice, as an at-home range makes it much easier to find 30-60 mins for practice.  It’ll also be used to play simulator rounds over the winter months.

I upgraded the net to a Net Return Pro and am also upgrading to a TrueStrike mat.  For now, I’ll just be using my iPad or laptop to display simulator information/graphics (both can ultimately be linked through a TV).  Down the road I may consider a projector and screen, we’ll see.  I have exactly 16ft of length, could maybe push it to 17ft but don’t think that will add any real simulator value at the expense of encroaching on the music studio.

Now the question… which simulator would you choose in this situation, and why?  GC3 or Mevo+?

GC3 seems most logical due to the limited space (photo vs radar), but it is significantly more expensive at $8K.  They had a version for $7K recently (limited courses), but those are not posted anymore.  I’m not willing to go the Bushnell route because I hate the subscription model as a consumer (same goes for SkyTrak).

Mevo+ seems more cost effective, but my worry is it will not be accurate enough with the flight limitations in my set up.  There is a short indoor mode, but I still have concerns whether there will be enough ball flight (for radar to pick up a hook or slice?).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 feet either side of the ball should be enough for the MEVO+ with the short indoor setting. If you use the Titleist RCT balls, then you won’t have to worry about the metal dots too. The bonus is you can use the MEVO+ anywhere. Bring it to the range and gather other data.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

Mevo+ seems more cost effective, but my worry is it will not be accurate enough with the flight limitations in my set up.  There is a short indoor mode, but I still have concerns whether there will be enough ball flight (for radar to pick up a hook or slice?).

The short indoor setting is enough to pick up the ball flight. Obviously longer flight would make it more accurate, but I use this setting in my practice area in my side yard and it’s fine. I have about 8’ of flight and 8’ behind the ball to set it up as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The bonus is you can use the MEVO+ anywhere. Bring it to the range and gather other data.

GC3 can be used outdoor as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

• iacas changed the title to Man Cave Upgrade - GC3 or Mevo+?
  • Administrator
10 hours ago, boogielicious said:

8 feet either side of the ball should be enough for the MEVO+ with the short indoor setting. If you use the Titleist RCT balls, then you won’t have to worry about the metal dots too. The bonus is you can use the MEVO+ anywhere. Bring it to the range and gather other data.

Yes.

I was going to say "get the GC3" but you're one of the few people who have the space for a Mevo+. I'd get some RCT balls and get the Mevo+. It's $1800 to $2k (depending on what deals are available when you buy), and current owners will get a discount on the Pro Package which will be at most $1k (without a discount), so for maybe $2500 to $2700 you can have a pretty great package as opposed to $7 to 8k.

And… I don't know that the GC3 is much more accurate. The Mevo+ is, with my experiences, within 1-2% of an X3 or a Trackman 4, or a GCQuad… so even if the GC3 is only 1%, or 0.5%… is that worth it? It wouldn't be for me, but I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money, as sometimes I buy things that are seemingly minimal to others.

mevo-practice.jpg

The best affordable portable personal launch monitor for golf. FlightScope Mevo includes a ball flight tracker and swing monitor mobile app.
1 hour ago, vasaribm said:

GC3 can be used outdoor as well.

Yep, though it may struggle some in bright sunlight and/or darker conditions.

That's one of the perks of radar vs. camera-based systems.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thank you for the responses.  I was pretty much resigned to the GC3 route as being the only option under $10K to assure good accuracy with short flight.  Accuracy is high on the list, so reading the Mevo+ is 1-2% off does help make the Mevo+ more appealing.  I do like it comes stock with several “ranges”, plus 5 courses (granted the GC3 comes with quite a bit as well).

It’s a good point as well some of you made on the ProV1 RCT balls, I have read a little about them and helping with spin readings.

I’m generally pretty value minded, so it’s not as much about the money, as it is what I’m getting for the money.  That said, I wouldn’t pay $50 for something that is 20% off on accuracy either.  I’ll have to do a bit more digging on the Mevo+.

@billchao Working within the same 16 ft range, are you happy with the results?  (I.e. you’d buy it again?)

6 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

@billchao Working within the same 16 ft range, are you happy with the results?  (I.e. you’d buy it again?)

Absolutely. I only found time to do one session with it and I didn’t have my RCT balls yet but my 7i averages came out almost identical to when I got fitted for them on a GC Quad or whatever device it was.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Pulled the trigger on the Mevo+ today, couldn’t resist letting the deal expire tonight while still making up my mind.  I’ll share a pic once everything set up.  Thanks again for all your thoughts.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

Pulled the trigger on the Mevo+ today, couldn’t resist letting the deal expire tonight while still making up my mind.  I’ll share a pic once everything set up.  Thanks again for all your thoughts.

Did you click through using the link(s) on the site here?

Congrats! You'll enjoy it.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 hours ago, iacas said:

Did you click through using the link(s) on the site here?

Congrats! You'll enjoy it.

I did not purchase it through a link, apologies if the site missed out on any credits or something.

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

I did not purchase it through a link, apologies if the site missed out on any credits or something.

Yep, that's why we have a carefully curated small set of affiliates.

Enjoy.

For others:

Note: This thread is 843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!