IGNORED

My Swing (Sutty86)

sutty86
Note: This thread is 785 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Stayed with the instructor, the next lesson he told me to forget the fade shot and try to hit the ball more in to out.

I've managed to get some more consistently aswell as getting fitted/trying out new irons and a driver.

Ended up getting some Callaway xr steelheads and a pxg gen 4 0211.

Driver was 25 yards further and less right 😂

7 iron previous was 130/140y if I hit it well 2/10 strikes.

Now it's 160/170y hitting it well 8/10 (even though the face looks much smaller)

Irons are much longer but I understand they are lofted stronger.

I'm hitting the ball much better than I was with my previous Wilson launchpads.

Best tip I was told so far was whilst my driving fitting the fitter said my forearms were very static on the downswing and told me to rotate them which has helped me close the club face which I'm struggling with.

My trackman numbers are now between 0 and 2 were before they were around -8.

Club face is still slightly open.

I've done some reading on stack and tilt and really like the look of the swing and I've got better at striking the ball with more weight on my left leg intially and during the back swing.

Tempo has sped up again , I struggle to slow things down .

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, sutty86 said:

Tempo has sped up again , I struggle to slow things down

I struggle with this too. Pick a player to emulate in the backswing and tempo. I’m using Collin Morikawa now and I think ‘long, slow, high’ when I work on my backswing. I do a five count as a warmup practice too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I struggle with this too. Pick a player to emulate in the backswing and tempo. I’m using Collin Morikawa now and I think ‘long, slow, high’ when I work on my backswing. I do a five count as a warmup practice too.

Cheers , I worked on my tempo to a good standard using the zepp device had it to a 3:1 , now it's more 2:1 .

Think I'm trying to change too much , I'm happy I can hit my woods now though 🤣🤣🤣

I wouldn't even attempt to use it during a round before last week , I'd leave in the car and always use my hybrid

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

Your swing is very short because you don't really get much depth (and/or turn) with the right hip moving back. Very static lower body.

Good video from good angles would help tremendously.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Your swing is very short because you don't really get much depth (and/or turn) with the right hip moving back. Very static lower body.

Good video from good angles would help tremendously.

Could this be because of mobility issues , I only ask because my brother plays and Ive never seen him play until recently and we have a very similar backswing, his being very short.

Do genetics play apart in this?

• Administrator
7 hours ago, sutty86 said:

Do genetics play apart in this?

Some, but not so much that you "turn" only this far:

01.jpg

You also will want to look at your grip.

My recommendations are to get much better video (slow mo and from the right angles) and post here and listen to the feedback you get.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
3 hours ago, sutty86 said:

Not sure why the other link is not embedding sorry

Please embed videos here on TST — it helps us all to view the videos right here inline with the rest of your post. If you're not sure how to do so, here's a helpful guide. Thank you!

P.S. Pay attention to the "formatted text" or plain text. You want to paste a link as plain text, not formatted.

How high can you lift your hands at the top of your backswing if you're just going there and posing? Are you consciously trying to keep your arms down (or your right elbow down) against your side?

Been really struggling this week practicing, seems like I'm shanking every ball, whilst looking at video I'm dipping my head quite considerably.

Today at the range I did much better with the swing thought of keeping weight on my heels and trying to keep the weight there, it provided much better strikes on the face (middle) 

I cant hit it out of the toe for the life of me.

I always thought I toed it before but it's been the shank shot (found out using impact tape , all my new clubs have ball prints all over the shank.

35 minutes ago, sutty86 said:

Been really struggling this week practicing, seems like I'm shanking every ball, whilst looking at video I'm dipping my head quite considerably.

Today at the range I did much better with the swing thought of keeping weight on my heels and trying to keep the weight there, it provided much better strikes on the face (middle) 

I cant hit it out of the toe for the life of me.

I always thought I toed it before but it's been the shank shot (found out using impact tape , all my new clubs have ball prints all over the shank.

Keep your weight centered on your feet or even more on the balls of your feet. When you setup, let your right hand go off the grip and see where the right arm hangs. If it doesn’t line up with the grip in the right spot, you may be too close or too far from the ball. Also, get a photo or DTL video of your setup and post it here.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Thanks

on these video I thought I had weight centered through my feet, this is the dreaded shank.

It's a nightmare uploading to YouTube now it's constantly trying to make my videos shorts even though I haven't pressed the shorts button

3 hours ago, sutty86 said:

Thanks

on these video I thought I had weight centered through my feet, this is the dreaded shank.

It's a nightmare uploading to YouTube now it's constantly trying to make my videos shorts even though I haven't pressed the shorts button

Start by doing short, punch type swings. For example, 1/4 swing chips, then half swing punch shots, then 3/4 punch shots. Also, your swing is still over the top a bit. Try and feel that you are swinging in to out to make contact. You can even get some tape or chalk and draw a diagonal line into the ball to give you a reference for the swing path. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, sutty86 said:

It’s fine. Shorts embed. Just pay attention to this:

On 3/8/2022 at 1:48 PM, iacas said:

P.S. Pay attention to the "formatted text" or plain text. You want to paste a link as plain text, not formatted.

When you paste the link it will say it pasted in rich format in a little pop up, you need to click the paste as plain text part.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Start by doing short, punch type swings. For example, 1/4 swing chips, then half swing punch shots, then 3/4 punch shots. Also, your swing is still over the top a bit. Try and feel that you are swinging in to out to make contact. You can even get some tape or chalk and draw a diagonal line into the ball to give you a reference for the swing path. 

Will have a go on Wednesday, 

Off topic , what's the general consensus of one length irons! I'm seriously considering getting some!

1 hour ago, sutty86 said:

Off topic , what's the general consensus of one length irons! I'm seriously considering getting some!

Never played them myself.

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, sutty86 said:

Never played them myself, but there’s a long topic about them here:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I'm working on some of the same problems as you.  I'm not going to offer any swing advice - there are very experienced teachers here who can do that.  However I can make a suggestion on practice, and ask you some questions that may help you think / understand / learn.

I would definitely suggest making half swings.  This makes everything much simpler and easier.  Swing back not much more than to where you arms are level to the ground, and end with the arms/club more or less parallel to the ground.

Questions:

1) What do you think you should look like at the top of your (half) backswing?  What do great players look like?  What do good players have in common?

2) What do you think you should look lke at the end of your (half) follow-through? What do great players look like? What do good players have in common?

Record yourself making these swings, and compare yourself to what you think/know/have been told.  Instructors here / your teacher can advise you on things you can do help you get there.

I've been working hard in the last few weeks, and definitely making progress.  But it's slow work, and you can't do many things at once.  Good luck!

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Note: This thread is 785 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!