IGNORED

Club Fitting for Driver, or Lessons?

Note: This thread is 798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

I have been working on my iron ball striking a lot over the past year or so, which has made a big improvement to my overall scores.

It just seems that the Driver is where the issue is, and I dont feel that I will be able to lower my hcp anymore if I dont get better with the Driver - i'm not confident with it at all.

I dont feel that I get the best out of the Driver AT ALL! I get about 260yds total out of a 'perfect' strike.

My swing speed with driver is 103-106mph, I am using a Cobra F9 with a stock stiff shaft.

So my question is: Should I get fitted for a new shaft / head, or get lessons?

It seems the obvious answer is lessons / work on my driver swing, but I dont have a driving range within a 30min drive. 

For reference, my Hcp is 9.1, lowest score in 6 months is 78 & my yardages are 165 carry with 7 iron, 185-190 carry with the 5 iron, and about 230 total with hybrid.

Skip the fitting until you've talked to a pro .  Include your concern about your driver when discussing your goals with the pro prior to your first lesson. 

Couple questions:

Your swing speed, you say 103 mph, is that on course measurement, that is to say, how do you know it's 103 hitting driver? With a 1.5 smash factor, you can guess at approx a 257 yd carry for perfect strike.. (103 * 2.5 = 257)

Bearing in mind that "feel isn't necessarily real" so to speak, do you have any indications why you're not getting the distance? Hitting line drives? Ballooning the ball? 

Are you hitting the sweet spot? Can you prove it with impact tape or foot spray . Makes a huge difference.

I'm smiling a bit, I was sorta running into something similar to what you are talking about, and my spouse surprised me with a new driver, so there's always that.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Get lessons. The F9 (even with stock stiff Atmos or Hzrdus) is most likely not the issue. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Welcome to TST.   We're glad you've joined.

10 hours ago, Coconut_8188 said:

It seems the obvious answer is lessons / work on my driver swing, but I dont have a driving range within a 30min drive. 

This creates a problem.   It's difficult to practice what your instructor has given you for a priority piece if you don't have access to a driving range or practice area.   Do you have access to a mat and net?    If not, that would be my first purchase before lessons or worrying about a shaft change.   

If you have access to a practice area I believe that lessons would be my choice.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice.

Mohearn, I recently purchased a PRGR launch monitor to get the swing speed value, the 103 is a 'game/on course swing, (roughly 5mph slower than max)' to increase accuracy. I think I just have too much spin which is why I was thinking new shaft really. Happy you got a new driver, that's an awesome spouse.

Denny, I don't really have the space in the garden, for nets etc. and my club has only got a 'iron range'.

Maybe I just think I should be hitting further when maybe I shouldn't.

Tourspoon, I think you are correct. It's not the club, it's me -it pains me to say that! Or is it the shaft lol

I'll do some speed training over the next few weeks and then lessons and see what the pro thinks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lessons are a much better option for almost any golfer.  Even the best pro's in the world have coaches, so us amateurs should always do so if money permits.  Admittedly, getting fit is important, but fixing your swing is a much better long term option than getting a club fit to the idiosyncracies of your swing.

Also, once you get lessons, you can always go to one of the bigger golf stores and hit various drivers there to figure out what club head and shaft specs you need for a low or even zero cost.  At that point you can decide whether you are willing to invest the money into a newly specced driver if necessary.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

7 hours ago, Coconut_8188 said:

I think I just have too much spin which is why I was thinking new shaft really. 

Tourspoon, I think you are correct. It's not the club, it's me -it pains me to say that! Or is it the shaft lol

Welcome to the Forum! What kind of ball flight is making you think too much spin? Are you hitting it high and ballooning? How are you teeing the ball and where on the face are you hitting it? What shaft are you using? If you want to post a video that would be great. 

I wouldn't waste my money on chasing equipment down until you get someone to check you out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

On 2/16/2022 at 10:57 AM, Coconut_8188 said:

I dont feel that I get the best out of the Driver AT ALL! I get about 260yds total out of a 'perfect' strike.

My swing speed with driver is 103-106mph, I am using a Cobra F9 with a stock stiff shaft.

So my question is: Should I get fitted for a new shaft / head, or get lessons?

Cobra F9 with stock stiff shaft and 103-106 mph... 

I'll bet dimes to donuts that what you have is at least "pretty close" to what they would fit you for. 

I am in the ballpark of your speed and distance. I've been fit several times. A fitting isn't going to get your a ton more yards. It may get you a few, but the rest will come from a swing change. With your swing speed 260 is pretty good if you are hitting a fade. 

So, you can spend your money how you'd like. It's your money. 

But I would make three suggestions.

1 - First, figure out what you are chasing. Do you want more distance? More constancy? A different shot shape? Both? ... All three? 

2 - Second, figure out your budget and timing. Perhaps, get lessons now and look to a new driver later. Or visa-versa. 

3 - If you want more than 260 yards out of a perfect strike. You are going to have to improve your perfect strike. 

Lastly, you can practice stuff a good coach will give you anywhere. You don't have to always hit an actual ball. Sometimes a mirror is better than a mat and a net. ... sometimes. In lieu of that, limited flight balls can be your friend.  

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!