IGNORED

Best or Most Memorable Shot You've Ever Hit?

DoubleAce

Figured most golfers love to share good memories from the course. And even the worst players hit shots worth talking about. So what's your best?

I'll kick it off... 

In spite of having made 2 hole in ones, my most memorable and best shot was out of a green side/fairway bunker. It was back during high school, in our district tournament to qualify for states.  

The third hole was just over 300 yards. So it was enticing to go for it. In reality, it was almost impossible to get there. As the last 40 or so yards were straight uphill. With the green being elevated a good 30 feet. And at the base of the hill that rose to the green was a deep bunker. 

During our practice round, our coach made a point of telling us not to go for the green. That the front bunker is nothing but trouble. But what did I do during the tournament? I went for it, of course! And where did my ball end up? In that green side bunker. 

My dad was spectating that day and was behind the green with my coach. As I'm surveying the upcoming shot, my coach is talking my dad's ear off about how he told us not to go for the green. In hindsight, he was right. A 50 yard blind bunker shot, to a green 30 feet above you, is no picnic. But that's where I found myself.

Well I clipped this shot absolutely perfect. It came out of there with some heat on it. And my coach says to me dad "oh great, get down". The ball hits about 5 feet past the pin, takes a hop about another 5 feet forward, then sucks back to a few inches from the pin. 

My dad turned to my coach and says, "I guess he managed that bunker just fine." 🤣 

Oh, and we qualified for states.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That’s easy. The putt I hit to break 80. It wasn’t the hardest but it meant I broke 80 so that’s it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

45 minutes ago, Rip62 said:

That’s easy. The putt I hit to break 80. It wasn’t the hardest but it meant I broke 80 so that’s it.

That's a good one. And is the culmination of a lot of hard work. 

On a related note, have you ever noticed how a score only a single stroke different can garner different reactions? 

"Shot 80 today"....."Ok, that's a pretty good."

vs.

"Shot 79 today"...."Wow, nice round!"

Maxfli Tour X

I have 2 shots that come to mind. First is a pitch from about 45 yards out, pin tucked on the right side of the green, the hole has a little peninsula of rough to guard the right side but a little landing area that I know if I hit it the ball will get sucked down towards the hole. I grab my gap wedge, open it up a touch and make a half swing. It was one of those shots were you know you did what you wanted so you hold your finish pose. I hit my landing area, and sure enough it rolls out towards the hole. It was such a good shot that a gentleman riding up to the tee of the 8th hole stops his cart and starts shouting at the ball to get in. It didn't but, it was a tap in birdie.

The other shot is the approach that led to my first ever eagle, which also happened in my best round (hopefully so far.) It was about 175 yards out to a small elevated green and slightly uphill. I pull my "5 wood" a 17.5° Adams XTD ti super hybrid, and swing away. I watch it fly towards the green and hope it holds. We approach the green and see it did hold, and I have a very good chance at eagle. I make the putt.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

I've only made 5 eagles in my life, and only 2 holeouts from 50 yards out or more. The best and most memorable hole I've played was the eagle I made on the longest hole on Larvik Golfklubb 15 years ago: 

Hole 13 (Langelasken) - A 580 yards par 5 (from 58) a bit uphill and dogleg left. It played down wind for once and I hit my drive as hard as I could around 310 to the left side of the fairway, just far enough up there to get a visual of the flag around the dogleg (By far the best drive I've made on this hole and the only time I given my self a chance to go for the green in 2 on this one). By being left in the fairway I'd shortened the hole a bit and was left with around 265 yards to the pin (pin location between the front right and the left bunker) and hit my 4W from there. Smoked it, and it went straight as an arrow directly at the pin. It landed 20 feet short of the pin, made 1 small jump and stopped around 12 feet short. Drained the straight uphill putt and made a fantastic 3 on this very challenging hole. (numbers from the course guide is in meters)

H13---h_2022.png  

Edited by Troy Ocker
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

5 hours ago, Troy Ocker said:

I've only made 5 eagles in my life, and only 2 holeouts from 50 yards out or more. The best and most memorable hole I've played was the eagle I made on the longest hole on Larvik Golfklubb 15 years ago: 

Hole 13 (Langelasken) - A 580 yards par 5 (from 58) a bit uphill and dogleg left. It played down wind for once and I hit my drive as hard as I could around 310 to the left side of the fairway, just far enough up there to get a visual of the flag around the dogleg (By far the best drive I've made on this hole and the only time I given my self a chance to go for the green in 2 on this one). By being left in the fairway I'd shortened the hole a bit and was left with around 265 yards to the pin (pin location between the front right and the left bunker) and hit my 4W from there. Smoked it, and it went straight as an arrow directly at the pin. It landed 20 feet short of the pin, made 1 small jump and stopped around 12 feet short. Drained the straight uphill putt and made a fantastic 3 on this very challenging hole. (numbers from the course guide is in meters)  

That is a solid eagle. Just knocking it on in two on a par 5 that's pushing 600 yards is a tall order. Looks like a nice hole.

• Like 1

Maxfli Tour X

On 4/26/2022 at 12:43 PM, DoubleAce said:

That's a good one. And is the culmination of a lot of hard work. 

On a related note, have you ever noticed how a score only a single stroke different can garner different reactions? 

"Shot 80 today"....."Ok, that's a pretty good."

vs.

"Shot 79 today"...."Wow, nice round!"

Oh definitely. I shot 2 82s before I shot the 79. One had 3 doubles and the other had 4. All were because of 3 putts. Made me go out and get a new putter since the old one was obviously jinxed.

• Funny 1

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

19 minutes ago, Rip62 said:

Oh definitely. I shot 2 82s before I shot the 79. One had 3 doubles and the other had 4. All were because of 3 putts. Made me go out and get a new putter since the old one was obviously jinxed.

Oof, that had to have been rough with those doubles. And 82 is pretty good with 3 or 4 doubles. 

I just hope you properly destroyed that old putter 🙂

Maxfli Tour X

Second shot into a 510 yard par 5. Hit a three wood into the hole on back left side of the green and watched it disappear into the hole. Water down the whole left side of fairway and in front of the green. Won a few skins with that one. I’ve had three hole in ones but it was cool to see the ball roll into the hole on a par 5 for the deuce. I still remember it perfectly and it was 25 years ago.

• Like 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Short par 4, 320 yds down hill.  Hit the best 3 wood of my life.  Ball stopped 1 inch right of the cup for a tap in eagle.

• Like 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

My most memorable is not the best struck, but the best outcome. Skulled a 7iron from 180yds when I was 15yrs old to get an albatross. 

Best was probably one of my hole in ones last year. The milli-second I hit it, I knew it was close or in the hole. 8iron from 170yds I think it was.  perfect tight draw, hit 2 feet past and high, spun back with break to the hole. Followed that hole with an eagle on the next hole, a par 5.

My other hole in one last year, is my most fun shot. I was doing a playing lesson with a veteran who was taking up the game. Played front tee box with her and hit a good shot, thought it had to be close. I’ve never been so cursed out in my life, 😂  All I could do was laugh. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

One I always go back to is one of the first matches I ever played, post high school.   I was number one see vs. another golf league and the person I was playing was a better player.   I hung in there and I was 1-up going into 18, a par 3 about 160 yards.  

My opponent hit first and was either on the green, but far enough away that par was likely...or near the green but in good shape.   I hit a 7-iron and while the ball was in the air I heard him say "Oh sh**" because it was going to give me a 3 at worst, I hit the green.   IIRC, it wasn't a big green.   We both made par and that gave it to me, 1-up.

• Like 1

—Adam

5 hours ago, phillyk said:

My most memorable is not the best struck, but the best outcome. Skulled a 7iron from 180yds when I was 15yrs old to get an albatross. 

Best was probably one of my hole in ones last year. The milli-second I hit it, I knew it was close or in the hole. 8iron from 170yds I think it was.  perfect tight draw, hit 2 feet past and high, spun back with break to the hole. Followed that hole with an eagle on the next hole, a par 5.

My other hole in one last year, is my most fun shot. I was doing a playing lesson with a veteran who was taking up the game. Played front tee box with her and hit a good shot, thought it had to be close. I’ve never been so cursed out in my life, 😂  All I could do was laugh. 

Haven't yet managed to find myself an albatross. A skulled 7 iron is a pretty cool way to make one. 

My second hole in one was very similar to your "called shot". Hole was only around 125-130. Hit a little gap wedge. Struck it absolutely pure and knew it was going to be close. Took one hop, but then lost sight of it. Due to the pin being up on a little ridge. I ran up because I just had a feeling. Sure enough, it was in. Pitch mark was right near the hole. Suspect it bounced past, then just checked right in. The fact that I was playing alone was a bummer. 

Your other hole in one reminds me of one of my dad's friends. The guy had been trying to get his wife to play for years. She didn't know much about the game. But finally relented and agreed to play. So they head out to the local par 3 course. Being a little self conscious, she told her husband to take it easy on her.

First tee, he hits his shot and it finds the cup. His first hole in one and he's pumped. But his celebration takes an abrupt turn when his wife starts screaming at him, "You did that on purpose!" She was genuinely pissed. Thought he was just showing off and making her look bad. She had no idea how rare a feat it was for a high handicapper like himself. 🤣

Maxfli Tour X

6 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

One I always go back to is one of the first matches I ever played, post high school.   I was number one see vs. another golf league and the person I was playing was a better player.   I hung in there and I was 1-up going into 18, a par 3 about 160 yards.  

My opponent hit first and was either on the green, but far enough away that par was likely...or near the green but in good shape.   I hit a 7-iron and while the ball was in the air I heard him say "Oh sh**" because it was going to give me a 3 at worst, I hit the green.   IIRC, it wasn't a big green.   We both made par and that gave it to me, 1-up.

Gotta love high school golf memories. Such a great time to look back on. 

I remember there was one private school in our general area that had a really good team. Hell, they put out top tier teams in every sport they played. Big D1 school with a lot of money. And they were very discerning about who they'd schedule matches with. 

During my four years, we had a solid team for a tiny D3 school. And our coach tried every year to set up a match with this powerhouse school. My junior year they finally agreed. We played their home course, and they all had this air of superiority. Like we were inconveniencing them by showing up. Cold shoulder treatment the whole time. 

Well we just went to work, played some solid golf, and squeezed out a win. There was no doubt they were the better team. They were more consistent day-to-day and had more raw talent. But when the stars aligned, our squad could compete with the best. 

Maxfli Tour X