IGNORED

Is Getting Fitted When I Get New Clubs Worth it If I've Only Ever Played Standard Length Off the Rack?

Every club in my bag is currently over 10 years old, and every one of them is something straight off a shelf.  I started thinking when I replace them it'd be nice to get fitted to know I have something right for me.  That said, all I know about the fitting process is what I've read online and am curious about a few things before I go down that road.

Im taller at 6'4" so i think under normal circumstances i wouldve been fitted for longer clubs.  If I'm used to playing with off the rack clubs, they're all I've ever played with my entire life, is that taken into consideration sideration during a fitting and is it even worth being done if I'm comfortable with a standard length?

Mostly, I'm not really interested in changing my swing when I change clubs, if the "proper" length will do that.  But if a fitting is tailored to my current swing and not just my size then it could be worth pursuing, I just know very little about the process.

And as long as I'm on the subject, besides the cost of the fitting itself, how does the cost of specially fitted clubs compare to the same club purchased off the rack?

-Eric

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Friz said:

But if a fitting is tailored to my current swing and not just my size then it could be worth pursuing,

That’s exactly why dynamic fitting is much better than static. You’re size just gives the fitter a starting point and good fitter will go by the results regardless of your static data unless the fitter sees you’re considerably bent over. He may suggest trying a longer club to get you more upright. Fitting isn’t about making a swing to fit your clubs, it’s the opposite. 
As far as price, it’s been alleged that certain fitting operations will drill you pretty good with shafts that are unnecessarily pricey. Beware of that. Big brick places like Golf Galaxy and PGATOUR SUPERSTORE will often give you the fitting for free if you buy the clubs there. 

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

There are some variables here that can definitely effect my answers. What's your golf goal? If it's just to get out and enjoy the game, then no. If you're looking to score better, than maybe but again probably best spent on lessons. If it's because you want to and have the funds, why not? There may be a physiological component too, the golf swing can be hard on the body and if you're swinging stock items you could be making it harder on your body than it needs to. 

I'm in the middle of a full bag fitting and I'm finding it's almost as much about feel as performance. I've reached the point with my equipment where I know it's more me than the equipment. I'm also finding I probably should be playing lighter equipment than I am. I can use stock equipment, but it might be a little harder and it might not feel as good. 

Getting a fitting could also help you with your misses, before this truly custom fitting, I had a fitting where they adjusted the clubs I bought from them to help with my pulling shots with the irons.

I guess my short answer would be, if you already consistently shoot low with off the rack gear, than no getting a custom fitting won't be worth it, but it's a fun process and if you have the funds, why not, maybe you could find the secret sauce that fixes everything.

In regards to custom fitted clubs, you're more likely than not going to pay more.

• D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

That’s exactly why dynamic fitting is much better than static. You’re size just gives the fitter a starting point and good fitter will go by the results regardless of your static data unless the fitter sees you’re considerably bent over. He may suggest trying a longer club to get you more upright. Fitting isn’t about making a swing to fit your clubs, it’s the opposite.

This sounds like a good starting point, and if I were to pursue it want to make sure that's what I'm getting.  Appreciate the reply

-Eric

10 hours ago, roejye said:

There are some variables here that can definitely effect my answers. What's your golf goal? If it's just to get out and enjoy the game, then no. If you're looking to score better, than maybe but again probably best spent on lessons. If it's because you want to and have the funds, why not? There may be a physiological component too, the golf swing can be hard on the body and if you're swinging stock items you could be making it harder on your body than it needs to. 

I'm in the middle of a full bag fitting and I'm finding it's almost as much about feel as performance. I've reached the point with my equipment where I know it's more me than the equipment. I'm also finding I probably should be playing lighter equipment than I am. I can use stock equipment, but it might be a little harder and it might not feel as good. 

Getting a fitting could also help you with your misses, before this truly custom fitting, I had a fitting where they adjusted the clubs I bought from them to help with my pulling shots with the irons.

I guess my short answer would be, if you already consistently shoot low with off the rack gear, than no getting a custom fitting won't be worth it, but it's a fun process and if you have the funds, why not, maybe you could find the secret sauce that fixes everything.

In regards to custom fitted clubs, you're more likely than not going to pay more.

My goal is simply to play the best golf I can.  I dont have professional aspirations, not trying to win a club championship or qualify for the US open.  I golf for myself and simply want to be the best golfer I can.  It is my primary hobby, haven't been able to play as much over the past few years with my work schedule, kids, etc. But hope to increase that in the near future and simply want to play the best I can.

I dont simply have unlimited funds to toss around, more the idea that my clubs would need replaced at some point anyway, especially if I'm going to be playing more.  If the cost difference is in the thousands to play with fitted clubs, probably not for me.  If the only cost difference is the cost of the fitting itself, different story.  Odds are it's inbetween , so want to get an idea of it's true value to my game.

I've played twice in the past two years, I shot a 90 my only round last year, and an 87 in my first ( and so far only) round this year....just to give an idea where I'm at with my current off the rack clubs and not much time to play 

-Eric

44 minutes ago, Friz said:

I've played twice in the past two years, I shot a 90 my only round last year, and an 87 in my first ( and so far only) round this year....just to give an idea where I'm at with my current off the rack clubs and not much time to play

Stick with your old clubs. Find time to enjoy the game. I don’t generally tell people how to spend their money, but replacing your bag when you barely play isn’t a value proposition.

• Thumbs Up 3

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

34 minutes ago, billchao said:

Stick with your old clubs. Find time to enjoy the game. I don’t generally tell people how to spend their money, but replacing your bag when you barely play isn’t a value proposition.

That's the plan for now, I'm not trying to make plans for an immediate upgrade, this is more a conversation for when I'm ready to upgrade, just something I started thinking about.

Expectation is the amount of opportunities to play should see a decent bump in the near future, my daughter is showing some interest, family looking into clubs in the area (started because we have no community pool nearby but gotta get the money's worth on course right???).

So yeah, for now the clubs I have are fine, but soon when it makes sense to upgrade the set, I just wanted an idea of if a fitting makes sense 

-Eric

See if you can take advantage of a fitting at a demo day. It’s usually a fairly basic fitting, and it’s usually free. It should give you an idea of length, lie angle, and shaft flex. It would give you a good place to start from rather than just buying blind. It might also be a good place to compare graphite vs steel, and also compare game improvement vs blades, or super game improvement. You might have enough info to compare your results vs specs from another manufacturer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

See if you can take advantage of a fitting at a demo day. It’s usually a fairly basic fitting, and it’s usually free. It should give you an idea of length, lie angle, and shaft flex. It would give you a good place to start from rather than just buying blind. It might also be a good place to compare graphite vs steel, and also compare game improvement vs blades, or super game improvement. You might have enough info to compare your results vs specs from another manufacturer.

This is a good idea, I didn't know they did any sort of fittings at demo days, I thought that was simply a chance to test things off the rack.  Would be a good starting point just to see how something different feels, appreciate the recommendation 

-Eric

On 5/28/2022 at 8:08 PM, Friz said:

This is a good idea, I didn't know they did any sort of fittings at demo days, I thought that was simply a chance to test things off the rack.  Would be a good starting point just to see how something different feels, appreciate the recommendation 

We have had Ping, Callaway, Titleist, and Srixon do demo days at my course, and you needed to make an appointment for each. Each appointment included fitting for  whatever you were interested in.