IGNORED

Why Is Gary Player Still Playing In Masters?

The Gill
Note: This thread is 5837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Why is Gary Still Playing Masters?

• He likes taking the slot of a upcoming younger golfer.
    • He's trying to inspire old and new golfers alike.
    • He owns stock in a nipple height pants company and trying to advertise.
    • He has nothing better to do.

He's not taking anyone's spot. Being a past champion, he has earned the opportunity to play as long as he wishes. Below are the various ways that one can qualify for the Masters.

Seems like the top 8 from all the Majors should get an invite to me. It would not add many as so many of those qualify other ways also.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I know he's the "ambassador of golf", but does anyone buy that? I'm not sure how a non-competing is that inspiring. Does it inspire anyone else to do anything other than vow never to hike your pants up to your nipples?

Why is Mr. Player still playing the Masters? Simple: because he can. After all, he earned his spot by winning 3 green jackets.

Now as time goes on, and his pants continue to rise ever farther up his toned South African body, he may be able to lose the turtle neck and just buckle his belt firmly around his neck, after which and with no armholes, his family and friends may persuade him that he should join Mr. Palmer as a Grand Poobah Starter or join Jack Lalanne hawking exercise advice to the geritol baby boomer set. I am tempted to suggest that, if he continues to play in the Masters on those sometimes cold and blustery early spring Georgia mornings, which I experienced for many years both in high school and in college, he may need to start wearing nipple warmers under his sweaters; that is, of course, before he starts pulling his pants up any farther. Seriously though, I, for one, admire his desire, as well as his commitment to fitness. And, I have to admit that seeing some of these older fellows, who I recall rather fondly from my youth, playing in the Masters along with the young guns is a bit heartwarming. I am sure there are many who may think that last statement too treacly, but I like these old timers and, before we know it, we'll be joining their ranks. I would defer to more latitude for them, rather than less, perhaps as a tip of the hat to their storied past, perhaps out of respect for their survivability.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I loved seeing the old Black Knight out there. I hope he plays until he physically cannot anymore. The man's a legend, and too many of those we grew up watching have hung up the spikes. More power to you, GP.

Gary Player is still competing in the Masters for a few reasons:

1. Bring young players into the sport.
2. Raise awareness for obesity. That's one of his major platforms and a big issue for him, thus why he can do 1200 situps in a week and play golf at 72 years old.
3. Break the record.

He has already said he will come back next year. He told himself if he shoots 83 or better on both days then he will be in next years field. I think it's great what he's doing.

You also have to remember how many people actually competed in that tournament. Of the entire field, only about 6 or 7 people had the opportunity to win. So you can argue that the spot he took could have allowed a young player to come in and surprise, but if you say that then you have to say that for every tournament because it could be anybody's day. You can't allow everyone to play every tournament, especially majors. It's an exclusive group of players who have accomplished something. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

I find it ironic that Gary Player still tees it up at the Masters.

I remember reading that Gary Player once said, (circa 60's.... I will NEVER continue to play in a tourney that I cannot have a chance of winning... at the time he was refering to Hogan or someone like that... because they continued to play in the Masters well after their prime)

Now, Player is doing the same thing.

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

• Administrator
Awesome golfer, I agree. But that slot he occupies is one that could launch a young player's career.

As has been said, he's not taking any spots from anyone.

But I do feel it is time to let it go when breaking 80 is a good day. I am not offended, and who doesn't enjoy basking for a bit in past glories, well if I had any past glories.

I mostly agree with this. Frankly, him playing this year struck me more as "I want to break Arnie's record" than anything else. Gary's not one to beg off stroking his own ego or touting his own accomplishments, after all, and now he has another one. He does it under the veil of "promoting fitness" but, I'm sorry, no obese kids are gonna go "wow, I want to be like that guy!" after hearing about him playing at Augusta. Tiger Woods probably does 1000x for the obesity/fitness problem than Gary.

Gary Player is still competing in the Masters for a few reasons:

My personal feeling is that it's more about #3 than anything.

You also have to remember how many people actually competed in that tournament. Of the entire field, only about 6 or 7 people had the opportunity to win.

One of my concerns, though, is about Gary playing with someone who HAS a chance to win. He's paired his first two days with two other guys. They don't lump all the has-beens together. How annoying is it (and I don't know - I'm asking) to have to play with a guy who hits it 240 yards and shoots 81 or 79 or whatever? Is it annoying? I would think at the very least it's somewhat distracting, the show Gary feels he has to put on from time to time.

So you can argue that the spot he took could have allowed a young player to come in and surprise, but if you say that then you have to say that for every tournament because it could be anybody's day.

No, you can't say that at all, in fact, because the Masters doesn't cap its field. It takes as many players as meet the criteria.

I remember reading that Gary Player once said, (circa 60's.... I will NEVER continue to play in a tourney that I cannot have a chance of winning... at the time he was refering to Hogan or someone like that... because they continued to play in the Masters well after their prime)

He was asked about that and, IIRC, his answer was something like "I changed my mind" basically.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe he just set the record for consecutive starts at the Masters, so he may not do it much longer. But why not play? It gives him a chance to get on the big stage where he is revered and he's earned the right to do it.

SubPar

If you were allowed to play at that age, would you turn it down? I'm not really feeling that he should be playing but, when I was a teenager I read a book by him that helped me understand the golf swing and make my high school team. I always give him props. If he wants to play, I say "go get 'em Gary". Oh and don't pull those pants up anymore or you might get hurt.

All I know is that he is in better shape than anyone over 30 on this forum....

And he beat Arnold Palmers record (of course, Arnie being the greatest "sportsman" of all time in my book)...

So Gary...all the above and $1.37 will buy you a Vitamin Water at the local grocery store.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I hope he will play for a long long time. The Masters would not be the same with out Arnie, Jack or Gary involment of some sort.

Rick T.
A Big Equipment Freak!!!
Life is too short not to tried everything out there

In the BagDriver: SuperQuad 10.5 REG BABYWoods: TP 3 or 5 woods R7 stiffIrons: AP1 4-PW w/Project X 5.5Wedge: Spin milled 54 (bent to 52) 56 & Special Grind "P" 60Putter: Gauge Design Japan " The Balde"Ball:...

All I can say is this,

if I went to the Masters next year, I'd want to see Jack, Arnie, and Gary tee it up just as much as anyone else out there. They are Legends, no matter how grey the hair.

People wouldn't dare say the same thing about Bobby Jones or Ben Hogan if they were still alive. Player isn't quite at that level, but he is a personality of the game we won't soon write off.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

All I know is that he is in better shape than anyone over 30 on this forum....

That made me chuckle.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

The Black Knight is an advocate of relentless exercise and fitness work and this is his way of advertising his beliefs to the world. It's safe to say he's a fitness 'nut' and proud of it. He puts in a lot of hard work doing situps and pushups etc. and the Masters validates that for him, that it was worth all the discipline. I don't see him stepping away, he'll probably play till he's 80.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

he was the WHITE NIGHT on friday

i personally am happy gary player got in and took montys space.

gary player has the qualifications to take part - monty doesnt.

it is an invitational and so no young player was denied as the masters committee can invite anyone the deem fit

also to qualify if you win on the pga tour i believe you get in - dont think player is going to stop an "up and coming" golfer by winning a regular pga tour event

hope he plays next year and every year until he shoots his age - or drops below 1000 sit ups a day!

k

To make the records for masters appearances. I think he played great for his age. I mean he's 72 and shot I believe 16 for 2 days which translate into around 80. Seventy-two and shooting 80 at august in its current condition is remarkable imo.

+1, Hes the only person I've ever seen with a decent swing over 65(not to say that his swing is just 'decent').

Put very simply, he plays in the Masters because he can. He worked his nuts off trying to win the thing, now he is enjoying the fruits of his labours. Besides, he was always incredibly fit and this has stood him in good stead. Good luck to him I say.

Why did you bother to make this a poll?

He just set a record for most Masters tournaments played.
I thought it was nice of Jack and Arnie to let him have that one.
He's not Charles Coody or Bob Goalby wasting space.
He's entitled.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Note: This thread is 5837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!