IGNORED

Fairway Wood Shafts

So my question to the group is.......I'm looking for a replacement for my PowerBilt persimmon 4 wood (vintage early 90's) but I cannot find a new offering with a relatively heavy steel shaft (TT DG S300 like).

Anyone know of any or have suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

54 minutes ago, Thomasredstone said:

So my question to the group is.......I'm looking for a replacement for my PowerBilt persimmon 4 wood (vintage early 90's) but I cannot find a new offering with a relatively heavy steel shaft (TT DG S300 like).

Anyone know of any or have suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

The only thing I can think of is, why do you want a steel shaft?

Go to a good fitter and see what they recommend.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, billchao said:

The only thing I can think of is, why do you want a steel shaft?

Go to a good fitter and see what they recommend.

I have been swinging hogan #4 and powerbilt dynasty C flex (both heavy) for 30yrs or so...been looking into new clubs and trying to find any wood with a heavy steel shaft off-the-shelf has been difficult. However, I didnt know until just recently (since I made the initial post) that graphite shafts can come in a somewhat heavy shaft (125g is what I saw) so that is an option.

thanks

I’m just impressed you can still swing a heavy steel shaft after 30 years…🙂

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

27 minutes ago, Thomasredstone said:

I have been swinging hogan #4 and powerbilt dynasty C flex (both heavy) for 30yrs or so...been looking into new clubs and trying to find any wood with a heavy steel shaft off-the-shelf has been difficult. However, I didnt know until just recently (since I made the initial post) that graphite shafts can come in a somewhat heavy shaft (125g is what I saw) so that is an option.

thanks

Ok but I think you missed my point. You have asked in the past about getting new clubs, only to be disappointed that they don’t make them in the specs that were standard 30 years ago.

Technology has changed. Golf club design has changed. Why don’t you go for a full bag fitting at a reputable fitter and see how that goes? You may be surprised at the results, or you may find you really just like your old stuff better. If that’s the case, $200 spent on a fitting to learn that seems better than $2,000 spent on clubs sitting in your basement.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

Technology has changed. Golf club design has changed. Why don’t you go for a full bag fitting at a reputable fitter and see how that goes? You may be surprised at the results, or you may find you really just like your old stuff better. If that’s the case, $200 spent on a fitting to learn that seems better than $2,000 spent on clubs sitting in your basement.

And if you don't want to spend for the fitting, look for a demo day in your area from a reputable OEM.  These used to happen all the time.  They'll find a good club combination for you there.

Also, @Thomasredstone, keep in mind that the club heads have changed weights and material, so even if you had your preferred steel shaft in a wood today, it wouldn't necessarily feel or perform like it did with the older head.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

22 minutes ago, Thomasredstone said:

Thanks gents for the input....greatly appreciated.

No problem.  Stick around, hang out, and of course please tell us what you decide.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.