IGNORED

2022 Wyndham Championship

Friz

Plenty going on this week, but this putt from Webb Simpson really stood out to me.  Is this acceptable course set up for the PGA Tour?  He is putting, and it looks to me like there is absolutely nothing he could have done to keep the ball on the green going down that slope

• Thumbs Up 1

-Eric

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, you know how important it is to keep the ball below the hole ;-)  (for anyone reading this that doesn't know, that sentence was sarcasm from me -- proximity is more important than leaving an uphill putt).

But yeah, I don't know.

I am going to try to watch the final round tomorrow.  Last regular season event of this season and Tom Kim is entering the weekend at the top of the leaderboard.  

I'll add a story to Webb Simpson's putt.  For anyone reading this that has played the L.A. City courses, this took place at Hansen Dam, hole 10 (which was hole one at one point, but not when this happened).  Hole ten is a short par-4 with a very uphill approach shot.  I can be PW horizontal distance to the middle of the green and I'll hit an 8- or 7-iron to be on the green.  And if you're short, you're hoping for rough, because otherwise the ball is coming back (picture Phil at the 2008 Open's hole 13, where shots 3 and 4 came right back to him).  

So I hit my second shot to the back of the green, pin was up front.  I hit a longer putt than intended... rolled across the green, to the pin... past the pin... off the green, and I had a 45 yard pitch for my third shot.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 8/6/2022 at 10:42 AM, Shindig said:

So I hit my second shot to the back of the green, pin was up front.  I hit a longer putt than intended... rolled across the green, to the pin... past the pin... off the green, and I had a 45 yard pitch for my third shot.  

Sounds like you overhit the putt though?  A mistake for sure, but avoidable.

My main issue with Webb's putt is that it didn't appear to be avoidable.  Putting down that slope left a guarantee the ball was heading off the green.  I didn't see the a lot of the round to know if others were able to successfully make this putt hold, and there is certainly an argument to be made that he is being punished for being in the wrong spot with his approach, but I have an issue with hitting a GIR, holding a putter, and having no choice but to watch it roll off the green.  That seems like a poor set up for the course

-Eric

1 hour ago, Friz said:

Sounds like you overhit the putt though?  A mistake for sure, but avoidable.

Mis-hit, or mis-judged, yeah. 

I just put the game on after running errands.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
On 8/6/2022 at 10:13 AM, Friz said:

Plenty going on this week, but this putt from Webb Simpson really stood out to me.  Is this acceptable course set up for the PGA Tour?  He is putting, and it looks to me like there is absolutely nothing he could have done to keep the ball on the green going down that slope

The green was fine.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:42 AM, Shindig said:

Well, you know how important it is to keep the ball below the hole ;-)  (for anyone reading this that doesn't know, that sentence was sarcasm from me -- proximity is more important than leaving an uphill putt).

Not always. In this case he'd have been better off to play from where his putt ended up, not where it started.

Was this the first winner (who started with a quad, btw) of a PGA Tour event born in the 2000s?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

Was this the first winner (who started with a quad, btw) of a PGA Tour event born in the 2000s?

I heard someone say that on the broadcast in the final hour.  I haven't fact checked it, but they said he is.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Did I hear correctly Ricky Fowler made it as #125?

Yep, Rickie is #125 (or maybe #124).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

The green was fine.

Not always. In this case he'd have been better off to play from where his putt ended up, not where it started.

Kim opened with a 3-under 67, becoming just the third player in the ShotLink era (2003) to make quadruple bogey or worse on the first hole of any round and go on to card an under-par score.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Here's another interesting tidbit about Tom Kim's win, other than I keep typing "Tom Kite" when referencing him (I can tell them apart, really, the typing is just muscle memory).   His win knocked four players out of the KFT Finals

1659913484927.jpeg

The South Korean's victory in Greensboro had a butterfly effect on these four tour pros who were hoping to get a shot at winning a PGA Tour card

-- Michael | My swing! 

42 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Here's another interesting tidbit about Tom Kim's win, other than I keep typing "Tom Kite" when referencing him (I can tell them apart, really, the typing is just muscle memory).   His win knocked four players out of the KFT Finals

1659913484927.jpeg

The South Korean's victory in Greensboro had a butterfly effect on these four tour pros who were hoping to get a shot at winning a PGA Tour card

On that note…if the LIV wins the complaint about FEC points…how will that affect the last three ranked 123-125? Will they get booted? Or will they make it 128? 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge