IGNORED

Loft Adjustments on Driving Iron?

mdl

My long clubs look like this:

three_long_clubs_dists.jpeg

Can you bend a Titleist U500? Like, could I bend it down to 16˚ or even 15.5˚, or up to 18.5˚ and then add a club to fill the gap?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, 

I have had 2 U500s and the 3 iron was a degree weak off of spec so it had to be adjusted. You need to have them checked before you assume they are correct and then go from there. The 4 iron that I kept was fine. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

16 hours ago, mdl said:

My long clubs look like this:

three_long_clubs_dists.jpeg

Can you bend a Titleist U500? Like, could I bend it down to 16˚ or even 15.5˚, or up to 18.5˚ and then add a club to fill the gap?

This may be a dumb question. But it looks like you carry a 2 iron and a 4 iron. Wouldn't a 3 iron fill the gap without bending anything?

Or are you trying to get the distance up on your 2 iron so that it's closer to your driver distance? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

This may be a dumb question. But it looks like you carry a 2 iron and a 4 iron. Wouldn't a 3 iron fill the gap without bending anything?

Or are you trying to get the distance up on your 2 iron so that it's closer to your driver distance? 

The latter. I'd hope fore something like

• 4i: 210-215
  • 3i: 235-240
  • 2i: 260-265
  • Dr: 300+

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

5 hours ago, mdl said:

The current year model (U-505) has a 16 degree option that is basically a 1-iron.  I'm not sure if this information helps you though.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

15 hours ago, mdl said:

It looks like you are pretty close to being there. Just add the 3-iron and then you can bend the 2 iron one degree. 
The U500 can certainly be bent one degree without issue. 

You can order them direct from Titleist bent up to 2 degrees. But if you were planning on bending 2 degrees. I'm not sure why you wouldn't just get a 1 iron which is already 2 degrees stronger than the 2 iron. 

Personally, I'm never a fan of bending a club stronger. I would always rather bend a club weaker. Rather than bending an 18 degree 2-iron to 17 degrees. I'd much rather bend a 16 degree 1-iron weaker to get to 17 degrees. In my opinion the turf interaction is better when bending a club weaker than when bending a club stronger. ... But that's just my opinion. Either way, it can be done. 

By the way, the rest of us mortals use a 3 wood and still can't get anywhere near that distance. For me a 265 club is a 7 or 8-iron followed by a gap wedge. 👍😁👍

44 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Personally, I'm never a fan of bending a club stronger. I would always rather bend a club weaker. Rather than bending an 18 degree 2-iron to 17 degrees. I'd much rather bend a 16 degree 1-iron weaker to get to 17 degrees. In my opinion the turf interaction is better when bending a club weaker than when bending a club stronger.

That’s because you’re adding bounce instead of losing it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

That’s because you’re adding bounce instead of losing it.

You are correct, sir. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 8:25 PM, Shindig said:

The current year model (U-505) has a 16 degree option that is basically a 1-iron.  I'm not sure if this information helps you though.

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚