IGNORED

Has Golf Etiquette Gotten Worse?

Wade Patton

At the very moment when someone doesn't follow the etiquette? That's when you need a callout voice. Of course that rarely happens. Which leads to other things like preferred lies on Every shot and 5 foot gimmes.

17 hours ago, Opoponax said:

Like the OP, I was away from the game for some 15-17 years. The big breach of etiquette is the music thing. WTF are these people thinking??? Every course, from the most basic muni to the most expensive private clubs should ban this abhorrence immediately.

This course in particular makes it a point to share on their website:

Featuring the latest and greatest addition- USB Ports

Bring your own music and play golf to your tunes or charge your phone while your play with our new carts with
USB Ports. 

This ain't no Party, this ain't no Disco...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

44 minutes ago, brian222 said:

At the very moment when someone doesn't follow the etiquette? That's when you need a callout voice. Of course that rarely happens. Which leads to other things like preferred lies on Every shot and 5 foot gimmes.

Yes, and that last bit is how some folks get a handicap that they cannot play to. 

I won't play there again without mentioning it. I may also write the course management just to be sure they realize the work of their greenskeepers and crews isn't being respected, and that some golfers notice these things. They do have some nice breaks on the greens and they're mowed well-despite some grass issues in places.

I have a lot of options within an hour's drive, I have a lot of "new" courses to check out and some old ones to re-examine.

I don't like music on the golf course, but I fear it is here to stay, as it seems to be what younger players want. I love music, play a couple of instruments; music has been a huge part of my life. But I don't like hearing recorded pop music playing in every store, restaurant, etc. It's everywhere. On the golf course it just makes me sad. I am trying to escape ordinary life when I play golf. I would rather hear birds, the wind, whatever; anything but Don Henley and Tom Petty. But it is what it is. We need to get along with each other, and I accept it. 

• Like 1

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Ok, I know I am going to be given some grief for this but I like music on the course.  Just needs to be at low enough volume that it does not bother others. It should not be heard by other groups

I will rarely play music if in a foursome unless the others like it as well.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

12 hours ago, Friz said:

I wouldn't think this would be a thing...in general I think there are just a lot of oblivious people out on the course.  Especially on public courses.  There are an awful lot of people that play that so very rarely hit greens that when they do, they just don't think about looking for their ball mark when they do.  Or they'll hit the green and it'll bound through and off the back, so the fact that their ball isn't on the green, they're not looking for ball marks.  Bunkers should be more obvious, but i think there is a similar idea that people will rake their shot, but not their footprints walking back out, just kind of oblivious.  There definitely has been an influx of new golfers recently as well, so I wouldn't necessarily assume any bad etiquette is intentional, it just may be etiquette habits haven't developed yet because their skill level hasn't allowed frequent scenarios to use it.

These greens are super soft, any ball strike left a crater. Yes the the internet has trained some, and I have seen a video where a guy "bashes" golf etiquette because he's new and doesn't understand it I presume. Or he's a narcissist who gives no care for anyone but himself. Maybe we need classes and seminars to educate the "newest masses".  I'm all for the reduction of ignorance and the promotion of civility and sportsmanship.

image.gif.f09900db2348bf44b4c0ad13b9451ace.gif

• Funny 3

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 minute ago, StuM said:

Ok, I know I am going to be given some grief for this but I like music on the course.  Just needs to be at low enough volume that it does not bother others. It should not be heard by other groups

Sure, if others cannot hear it-it's a non issue. This was a group of 5 we let play through and they left it playing through everything, we tried to keep our distance but were pushed from the rear.

Why not use the ear buds for tunes? Seems that all the young folks have those. That way only the person wanting music is robbing him/herself of hearing things like wind, birds, splashes, cheers, and FORE! 

I too love music, but when I'm out there in a modified natural environment, I don't need it from external sources. I have plenty in my head, and when alone will sing/hum/whistle right along.

26 minutes ago, StuM said:

You won't get any grief from me. I don't mind music on the course. I also don't mind playing without it. I'm really not sure why it bothers anyone.

The only thing I would suggest is that if you happen to like music that has a lot of profanity in it, you may want to make sure there isn't a group lesson being given to a group of youngsters near by. This happened recently during my league play. My group was waiting for the group in front us to tee off. The teebox was literally right next to the practice putting green. There was a group lesson being given to about a dozen kids about 8 years old. The group on the teebox was playing their music really loud. I don't know the song but it used the N word and the F word several times as they were teeing off. These 8 year old's were all staring at the golf cart, wide-eyed, mouths hanging open, as the instructor tried to get their attention back on what ever he was teaching. 

• Booooooooo 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

My one pet peeve are those “Story Tellers” who can’t take their shot until the have finished telling their long story. Learn to hit the “Pause Button” and hit your shot and then you can continue talking.

Also those who take forever to line up a putt.  they look at it from every angle, plumb-bob, pick up leaves 10’ from the intended line, mark it & replace it multiple time to get the alignment line as they want it, take several practice strokes…… and then leave it 15’ short.

Also those  that hit a shot well into the woods or waste area but know the rules and that they are allowed 3 minutes to look for a lost ball and never  stop before the time limit. Like they really want to hit out of 4 foot cattails or are so cheap they just have to get that ball back.  Just stop playing $4 balls, you ain’t that good!

Also those who think a 10:20 tee time means you pull into the parking lot at 10:19

Also those who want to give me a lesson on the course

Also those who can’t seem to count, or maybe their dementia caused them to forget the ball they topped and only went 10 yards or the drop from behind a tree.

Also….ok, maybe I have a few more than one pet peeve

Edited by StuM
Corrected “tee tone” to “tee time” and other typos
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

2 minutes ago, StuM said:

Also those who want to give me a lesson on the course

This is a good one. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

5 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

This is a good one. 

OH man was this horrible when I was a kid.  Too many TIPS!!! I finally learned to focus on instruction by one or two professional golfers and tried to shut out all the "tips" given by well-intentioned adults as I played.  I won't do it, ever. The course is not the place for lessons-unless you're rolling with the club pro.

Of course I notice all the quirks of other players and their swings. I just don't say anything and let them work it out. Sometimes they connect, and that's great. I remember how absolutely annoying on-course, unsolicited tips/advice was and am only going to help if asked.

If I ever play music on course, I think it will be classical. Hit 'em with some Mozart, or better yet some Highland pipes.  Oh yeah, tha's the ticket, Bagpipes from the cart!  😁

17 minutes ago, Wade Patton said:

Oh yeah, tha's the ticket, Bagpipes from the cart! 

I like your style

• Funny 1

Stuart M.

• Administrator

“Listen here, kid. Back in my day…”

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Mainly I just can’t stand oblivious people.   I’ve told the really out there stories of people like that in other threads, but most people mean well and things like music (I’m with @StuM it doesn’t bother me) , missing a divot or ball mark here and there etc, doesn’t really bother me.  Some people talk too much and some not enough, I enjoy playing with different types of people.

except for the classic obliviot!  This is someone who is always talking when they shouldn’t, doing things they shouldn’t and generally is so self centered that if someone does something they don’t like, they take great offense.  I guess I can sum it up this way. It doesn’t bother me if someone didn’t notice me hitting and started talking.  But someone who is so oblivious and self centered that they do it all the time, then I can’t stand them. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

—Adam

I'm still waiting to get grouped with a dude and his drone. I've had people making TikTok videos next to my range spot. Not the course yet.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I'm still waiting to get grouped with a dude and his drone. I've had people making TikTok videos next to my range spot. Not the course yet.

About 6 weeks ago during league play, someone (not in league) was flying a drone art us as we tee'd  off on #3, short par 3 to a [almost] island green., and follows the ball as it landed on the green  Annoying as all. Still don't know where it came from. Pretty loud. I don't know the rulles as to trying knock the darn thing out of the sky.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

(edited)
7 minutes ago, mohearn said:

About 6 weeks ago during league play, someone (not in league) was flying a drone art us as we tee'd  off on #3, short par 3 to a [almost] island green., and follows the ball as it landed on the green  Annoying as all. Still don't know where it came from. Pretty loud. I don't know the rulles as to trying knock the darn thing out of the sky.

If there's an airport, helipad, or grass strip within 3 miles or so (I"m not sure I'm not licensed yet), it's a no fly zone. Report to FAA.

We now use drones in the survey business. But then we're adults and follow the rules and our drones go up, and fly a grid taking pics, can hardly hear 'em when they're up there.

If you're flying one over me on a par three heck yes there's a danger. Moving targets are difficult but not impossible, I hit 'em high!. Ask the range raker dude/dudette. 🤣

Edited by Wade Patton