IGNORED

Biggest jerk on the tour?

easygrip
Note: This thread is 825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jamo

You think McIlroy comes off as a jerk? I'm not a huge fan of his, but "jerk" is not a word I would use to describe him, especially given his interviews.

As for Tiger, he might fall short of jerk status, but he's not the world's nicest guy either.

I do, yes. From the interviews I've seen, his attitude definitely isn't favorable. I can't say 100% positively that he's a jerk because I don't know him in person and none of us do, but I definitely think he's cocky and arrogant...he even said at the U.S. Open he "wanted to be more cocky and arrogant".

Everyone will have a different opinion of Tiger...I've never met him in person but I've been a huge fan since 2000 and I've followed him as closely as possible since then. I know his personality and think he's a nice guy. Obviously he made huge mistakes in his personal life, but the way he's dealt with those mistakes are even more evidence in his favor. He's pledged to be a better person and father every single day and from what I've seen, he's succeeding in that.

Oh, and I'll mention Bubba Watson as a possible jerk as well:

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,2080975,00.html

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

Originally Posted by paulg

Rory wants be arrogant in regards to his golf game, not as a person. Well that's how I understood it anyway.

I know...but I don't like that attitude anyway. He probably saw it as he needed to be more cocky and arrogant to succeed...but I don't feel that way, and when he said that, I was honestly shocked.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

Based on many interviews I've seen with McIlroy, I would never call him arrogant or cocky.     I would call him soft spoken, but confident i  his abilities.

Quote:

I've heard bad things about Sabbatini and Couples. Can't really say 100% if I think they are jerks because I really don't pay much attention to them. Rory McIlroy definitely comes off as a big one in my opinion. Even in interviews...his attitude is just cocky and arrogant and I'm not a big fan of that.

It really surprises me how people say Tiger Woods is...I can see you using the swearing as evidence, but other than that, he's a very nice guy and I'm sure anyone on Tour would tell you that. He jokes with others and always has a good time out there and is nice to everyone. He loves and appreciates his fans, and gives back to the community. He's not a jerk.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It almost beggars belief that someone could seriously posit Rory as the "cocky and arrogant" one and Tiger as the "nice guy." Personally, I thought the way they each handled their obvious disappointment after the final round of the Masters this year spoke volumes about their respective characters.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rory McIlroy cocky and arrogant.?

Wow. World's worst ever judge of character.

Agree on Bubba Watson though. His comments today smack of sour grapes after travelling all the way from the States to the France for nothin'.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Originally Posted by Tiger Spuds

Rory McIlroy cocky and arrogant.?

Wow. World's worst ever judge of character.

No. Like I said, I don't know Rory that well and I'm sure he's a very nice guy, but from what I HAVE SEEN of him, I don't like his attitude, and I know I'm certainly not the only one. If I see more of him in the future, maybe I'll change my opinion. But for now...that's it.

Even Graeme McDowell, who is a good friend of McIlroy (who doesn't care for Tiger), said last year that Tiger is "a great guy." Ask any other pro and they'll tell you similar things about Tiger.

Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

Even Graeme McDowell, who is a good friend of McIlroy (who doesn't care for Tiger), said last year that Tiger is "a great guy." Ask any other pro and they'll tell you similar things about Tiger.

Was Tiger a nice guy when he came over and practiced putting on your sunroom carpet?

Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

I'm sorry but "great guys" don't cheat on their wives with multiple women.  I still like Tiger and can look past that when he plays golf but calling him a great guy just does not sit right with me.

having encountered sergio on two separate occasions during practice rounds, i found him to be a really nice guy, who goes out of his way to acknowledge his fans when he's not in competition. chez reavie and jim furyk couldn't have been nicer fellas, both engaged my buddy and myself in relatively lengthy conversation during a practice round. chris demarco on the other hand, came across as a jerk.

I lol'd at that video of Bubba ripping in to Steve Elkington, haha. Prime douche, and apparently he was snapping at the crowd all day yesterday, too. Hey, but he's a good Christian!

LOL Rory is probably the most down to earth person in modern golf. I met him a few years ago in a hotel and he spoke to me for a good 10 minutes and was nothing but a gentleman. He even had time to talk to my father on the phone who was in hospital for an operation at the time.

I don't know how you can see a person who is humble when spoken to and confident when he needs to (on the course) can be seen as arrogant.

Quote:

No. Like I said, I don't know Rory that well and I'm sure he's a very nice guy, but from what I HAVE SEEN of him, I don't like his attitude, and I know I'm certainly not the only one. If I see more of him in the future, maybe I'll change my opinion. But for now...that's it.

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

having encountered sergio on two separate occasions during practice rounds, i found him to be a really nice guy, who goes out of his way to acknowledge his fans when he's not in competition. chez reavie and jim furyk couldn't have been nicer fellas, both engaged my buddy and myself in relatively lengthy conversation during a practice round. chris demarco on the other hand, came across as a jerk.

I became a Dimarco hater a few years back when he hooked his tee shot long on a par 3 hole. I can't remember what tournament it was. But as his ball went screaming long and left, he was telling it to "hit somebody". The announcers didn't even acknowledge the statement, but I'll never forget it, what a jackwad.

"Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness."
William Wordsworth

Gear:
Callaway FT-S Driver Nike VR Blades/wedges TM Ghøst Putter.

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

I'm sorry but "great guys" don't cheat on their wives with multiple women.  I still like Tiger and can look past that when he plays golf but calling him a great guy just does not sit right with me.

Youd be hard pressed to find any great athlete whos a good guy then.  Not saying they aren't out there, but they are few and far between.  Who wouldve believed all of the stuff about Tiger before it came out?  For all we know, any number of guys past, present, or future could be doing the same thing.  Its best not to judge these guys for their personal lives.

I think Graeme was referring to being a "great guy" on Tour...he's always nice to everyone and has a lot of friends out there. Tiger's personal life is none of Graeme's business and he wasn't talking about that.

Thank[quote name="laconic517" url="/forum/thread/11719/biggest-jerk-on-the-tour/90#post_620494"]

Youd be hard pressed to find any great athlete whos a good guy then.  Not saying they aren't out there, but they are few and far between.  Who wouldve believed all of the stuff about Tiger before it came out?  For all we know, any number of guys past, present, or future could be doing the same thing.  Its best not to judge these guys for their personal lives.

[/quote] Thank you!

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

I always said that When Tiger or most Pros do the fist pump thing on Tour it appears that thier saying "Good For Me"  When Chris Dimarco does the fist pump it always looked like he was saying F@#k You .

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

Note: This thread is 825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!