IGNORED

Adding a 3 Hybrid or 4 Hybrid to My Bag

Rickpl

Hi,

I’m new to golf (started golfing this year) and I’m currently playing with a secondhand beginner set of clubs that I purchased from a friend. Now that I’ve played several rounds and I understand the game a bit better, I’m looking to purchase some new clubs to help improve my game.

One area that I’d like to improve on is gaining distance and consistency on the fairway. I’m currently hitting irons on the fairway of par 4 and 5 holes, but I feel I’m not hitting the ball as far and as accurately as I’d like to. I have a nice 3 wood which I’m able to hit fairly well off a tee, but I find that I struggle to hit it with consistency on the fairway.

I recently golfed with a friend who used a 3 hybrid for many of his fairway shots. He’s fairly new to golf like I am, and he seemed to be able to hit nice long shots on the fairway with ease.

After golfing with my friend, I am contemplating purchasing a 3 hybrid for fairway shots. As I mentioned before, I do already own a 3 wood which I like to use to tee off on par 3 holes and shorter par 4 holes.

My question is – does it make sense / is it ideal to have both a 3 wood and 3 hybrid in my gold bag? I’ve read that a 4 hybrid is easier to hit and can be more forgiving than a 3 hybrid, and that the maximum distance between the two is very similar. Perhaps, a 4 hybrid would be a better option for a beginner golfer like me, and a 4 hybrid and 3 wood might be a better combination?

I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff so I appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Thank you.

Welcome to TST, @Rickpl.   We're glad you've joined.   

I have two hybrids, a 5h and a 4 hybrid which compliment my 4 wood.   

It's not good enough to just purchase a hybrid for the sake of adding a club.  You really need to know how far you hit each club and then if you choose, you can add a hybrid to fill in the gaps.   You don't want two clubs that hit the ball about the same distance.   See if you can find a place that has a launch monitor that will allow you to measure your average distances.   Only then can you really justify buying any club.

BTW, the 3W is one of the most difficult clubs to hit from the fairway.  

Keep us updated on your journey.

• Thumbs Up 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Rickpl said:

Hi,

I’m new to golf (started golfing this year) and I’m currently playing with a secondhand beginner set of clubs that I purchased from a friend. Now that I’ve played several rounds and I understand the game a bit better, I’m looking to purchase some new clubs to help improve my game.

One area that I’d like to improve on is gaining distance and consistency on the fairway. I’m currently hitting irons on the fairway of par 4 and 5 holes, but I feel I’m not hitting the ball as far and as accurately as I’d like to. I have a nice 3 wood which I’m able to hit fairly well off a tee, but I find that I struggle to hit it with consistency on the fairway.

I recently golfed with a friend who used a 3 hybrid for many of his fairway shots. He’s fairly new to golf like I am, and he seemed to be able to hit nice long shots on the fairway with ease.

After golfing with my friend, I am contemplating purchasing a 3 hybrid for fairway shots. As I mentioned before, I do already own a 3 wood which I like to use to tee off on par 3 holes and shorter par 4 holes.

My question is – does it make sense / is it ideal to have both a 3 wood and 3 hybrid in my gold bag? I’ve read that a 4 hybrid is easier to hit and can be more forgiving than a 3 hybrid, and that the maximum distance between the two is very similar. Perhaps, a 4 hybrid would be a better option for a beginner golfer like me, and a 4 hybrid and 3 wood might be a better combination?

I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff so I appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Thank you.

Welcome to TST!  I'm glad you've taken up golf.  I have a few notes.

* Hitting a 3W off the tee is fine.  You'd do better long term to learn how to hit driver, but if you're comfortable with this as you're beginning, go for it.  That having been said, fairways are overrated -- as you play more, hitting the ball the farthest you can such that you'll be able to advance the ball towards the green from where you hit (which includes the rough, unless you're playing Oakmont or something) will do better for your score.  

* 3W is very hard to hit off the fairway.  I don't even carry one anymore.  Unless you have a fast swing speed -- maybe you retired from the MLB recently and took up golf or something -- you probably would hit a 4W or 5W further than a 3W off the fairway.

* You should have a club that you can use to advance the ball on your second (and later) shots where the green isn't within reach of any other club, and that you are comfortable hitting.  For me, for the longest time, that was a 4H.  I would hit driver off the tee and then 4H until I was within range of an iron.  Then one day about eight years ago one of the moderators of TST taught me how to hit a wood.  That was a fun day.

* Ask whatever questions you want.  Folks here love to help and none of us were born knowing this stuff either. 

• Thumbs Up 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

@Rickpl  At this beginner stage, I’d advise use the clubs you hit best while out on the course (as roughly stated above, advance the ball safely… with as much distance as you can pull off without getting into trouble).  Try out a few 3 & 4 hybrids and go with the one you feel most confident with for now.  As your swing becomes more consistent, then start thinking about the distance gaps.

And yes, it’s fine to carry a 3W and hybrid(s).  I have a 3W and 3H in the bag on a regular basis.  The hybrid is a little more versatile of a club, but the 3W does come in handy occasionally (3W is longer).

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 10:21 PM, Shindig said:

Unless you have a fast swing speed -- maybe you retired from the MLB recently and took up golf or something -- you probably would hit a 4W or 5W further than a 3W off the fairway.

The average golfer can hit a 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than a 3W. The 4W (and 5W) have more loft to help launch, and slightly shorter shafts to help with control.

Next, a 3H or 4H would be a good second distance club. Decider: can  you hit a 3H off the deck? Some people can't. If 3H is difficult, consider 4W (or 5W) + 4H.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I'm going to jump in here in defense of the 3 wood. Personally, I have always carried a 3 wood to hit off the deck and never really had any troubles with it. (Which is not to say I haven't hit any stinkers with it. But I've hit stinkers with all my clubs.) 

I carry a 16 degree 3-wood and I love it. I think 3 woods get a bad a name for armatures when folks start carrying 12 and 13 degree 3-woods. I've even seen 11 degree 3-woods. If you carry a 3-wood with at least 15 degrees of loft that should be plenty to hit it off the deck. You can get 3-woods up to about 17 degree. ... as I mentioned I like 16 degree. 

BTW - I also carry 3 hybrids as well. I sometimes slip a 5 iron in the bag instead of one of the hybrids depending on where I'm playing. Personally I like hybrids. I think they make the game easier. I haven't had a 4 iron or a 3 iron in years. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.