IGNORED

Post-Round Interview Cliches

dzjc

After watching the Presidents Cup post-round interviews, it appears that the American squad are a bunch of media dolts.  Seriously.  Show some emotion!  Have some fun!  Your golf score is not a first-world problem, and the cliches are so old by now.  Rory, Justin, Kisner, Jordan, and Max are great in front of the camera, and perhaps the rest of the team needs some media training.  So far, the worst interviewees are: Xander, Cameron Young,  and Scheffler.  

Dale

• Administrator

I mean, they're heavy favorites, and have been criticized in the past for doing things like (attempting to) shotgun beers on the first tee (JT) and so on.

I like to see personality as much as the next guy, but they've learned to be cautious, particularly when it could be seen as bulletin board material for the opposition. They've played 5 of 30 points. It's early.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, dzjc said:

So far, the worst interviewees are: Xander, Cameron Young,  and Scheffler.  

Dale

Maybe I missed something. I didn't see anywhere near all the interviews. I didn't seen Schauffele or Young, but I really thought Scheffler was fine. He seems like a pretty straight forward guy. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I guess the way I view this is that not everyone has natural and effortless presence. I know that I would be terrible at answering questions in front of camera. I think the non dial tone guys like Rory, Max, and others are rare compared to the Cantlays of the world. Honestly I would rather have a bunch of dial tones than the guys who try to manufacture a persona like Bryson/Brooks. I think this is true across all sports; just because someone has reached the pinnacle of their sport doesn't guarantee any charisma.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

3 hours ago, dzjc said:

After watching the Presidents Cup post-round interviews, it appears that the American squad are a bunch of media dolts.  Seriously.  Show some emotion!  Have some fun!  Your golf score is not a first-world problem, and the cliches are so old by now.  Rory, Justin, Kisner, Jordan, and Max are great in front of the camera, and perhaps the rest of the team needs some media training.  So far, the worst interviewees are: Xander, Cameron Young,  and Scheffler.  

Dale

Xander talked at length about the expectation from them, his rapport with Cantlay and history and how they used to their advantage. I think that seemed like a great interview for just getting the week started. I mean, would be a bit tacky to do high-five interviews just yet, no? Even dumb..  

I get the cliches are a bit tired but even stand-up comedians struggle to come up with new material all the time and have to simply re-package old stuff in new clothes.

At the end of the day the golf is the entertainment and personality is a side bar (interesting that you did not include Cantlay in your not-great-interviewee list), and from what we saw yesterday, nothing was left on the table from the golf aspect.   

Vishal S.

I rarely watch interviews anymore; I find all of them boring. After about 5 years of watching sports post-game interviews, you've heard just about every question and every answer. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert