IGNORED

My Swing (dagolfer18)

dagolfer18

I've been Playing Golf for: About 9 years. I’ve only been serious about it the last four years or so.

My current handicap index or average score is: 11.5. Was in single digits two months ago, would like to get back down there.

My typical ball flight is: Usually a fade, but my swing is starting to produce some draws which can turn into a bad two-way miss on a bad day. 

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Fat shots. I know it’ll never go away completely but I’very been hitting a number of these lately and I would like to fix it.

Videos: 

• Thumbs Up 2

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Film in slow motion.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

First low hanging branch is the set up. It looks like you are way too bent over, and your arms are very close to your body, almost like your elbows are tucked in for putting. Also, your feet are way too far apart for a 7 iron. You want them more under your shoulders. 

Check out this video on set up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Film in slow motion.

In addition to that, film in landscape.

I also concur with @saevel25 - the set up is what I would start with. That will help a lot to start, and then you can start cleaning up other low hanging fruit.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

4 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

In addition to that, film in landscape.

Why do you say that? It’s a golf swing, you need more vertical than horizontal. Landscape is going to to capture a lot more in the frame than you need and the subject will be smaller it’s a result.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (dagolfer18)
  • Administrator

For future videos:

• Hand height. These are way too high.
  • Get closer. These are shot from very, very far away. You're tiny in the frame.
  • Slow motion. These are regular speed.

That all said…

image.jpeg

I agree that you need to work on first your setup and your grip.

Your grip is much too far into the palm.

I think you need to work on those things first. Thing is, that won't take too long, if you make yourself do it, and then do it EVERY TIME from now until the end of time.

Film some videos with a good setup and grip in a week when they're starting to become comfortable.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Your grip is much too far into the palm.

Too far into the palm as in, the grip needs to be closer to the fingers?

WITB:

• Administrator
Just now, dagolfer18 said:

Too far into the palm as in, the grip needs to be closer to the fingers?

Yes. Watch the video. It goes diagonally up your palm.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Got the videos.

Both these swings, like last week, were 7 irons.

WITB:

• Administrator

I'll reply with more later, but @dagolfer18, you're not helping yourself here. I know it can be a pain to ask someone who is recording your swing to put the camera exactly where you want it, but these aren't even close.

It makes it really difficult:

• for me or anyone else to provide an initial analysis
  • for you to compare your swings day to day and see progress/changes

In the first video at least, too, you didn't edit the slo mo to include your whole swing.

• Informative 1

@dagolfer18-I have raised kids so pardon me for the parent voice-I agree.

If you are not willing to do the simple things like get camera alignment right-Why should we expect you will do the hard things and invest time to try to help you.-FREE of course.

?

Could you answer that question?

Is the grip changed or posture changed?-I can look at the videos later I think if others do not beat me to it.-Got to go teach.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• Administrator

YES!

And @dagolfer18 please take that in the spirit of help. I would like to help you, but giving you advice based on faulty camera angles could actually hurt.

Also, instructors don’t like feeling that they care more about your golf swing than you do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

YES!

And @dagolfer18 please take that in the spirit of help. I would like to help you, but giving you advice based on faulty camera angles could actually hurt.

Also, instructors don’t like feeling that they care more about your golf swing than you do.

Thank you for you willingness to help. I appreciate that. And please don’t think I don’t want to put in the work, because I do. I would love  the help of you and many others on this forum.

I remember you and a few others recommended I purchase a tripod to help film my swing. The one and only reason I have not done that yet is because I misplaced my wallet and lost my debit card. It took forever but the card finally came and I can now order a tripod.

I know that reason may sound crazy, but I promise if I hadn’t lost the card I would have a tripod now or at the very least have ordered it.

To answer @Phil McGleno, I have been putting in work to improve posture and grip in the past week. I may have forgotten it on a few swings (the ones in the video may or may not have been bad), but I promise I have been putting in the work. This has been one of the tougher weeks on and off the course but I’m working through it.

Again, thank y’all for your feedback. I will continue working.

WITB:

• Administrator

@dagolfer18, lack of

a tripod doesn't mean you can't direct your friend to record from the right place. 🙂

I don't see a lot of change to the grip. It's still what I call "fake strong" and in the fingers. The left is almost the most generous I can make it with the line (the shaft has some bend to it even here):

image.jpeg

The setup does appear to be less extreme.

The next thing (seriously, fix the grip) is going to be to learn how to turn without bending over and letting your head drift so far back.

02 Setup.jpg03 Head.jpg

Do Day 2 stuff here: 

Pay particular attention to how much the head moves around, how much forward bend you retain (or add, as you do). Your goal in doing the shoulder turn stuff is to stay fairly "vertical" from face-on at A4.

Look at and make sure you understand (if not, ask here) this post:

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Informative 1

• Administrator

Re:

To be clear… I haven't asked you to strengthen your grip. I’ve asked you to get it out of your palm and into your fingers.

The GEARS post is about axis tilt. You stay bent over too much in your backswing. Forward bend (toward the golf ball at setup) turned 90° is axis tilt at the top of the backswing (bend away from the target).

If you’re not sure what something is about, just ask. Otherwise you run the risk of wasting time or working on it incorrectly.