IGNORED

What Are Your 2023 Golf Goals?

iacas

On 11/28/2022 at 10:20 AM, Chris Brooks said:

I have a few old buddies who play in RDGA events pretty regularly.  I’ll keep an eye out for your name in the events, good luck!

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 8:13 PM, TourSpoon said:

1. Average 150+ ball speed and max over 155. I can hit 150 but am averaging high 140s. 

2. Handicap to high 3. I have fluctuated in the 4s and 5s this year but really want to have that be 3s and 4s. 

3. Average 10 greens a round. 

4. Scrambling at 50%. 

Revising #1 to average 155 and max at 160. I have been working on speed lately and I am now averaging 150s. The drill that has helped is feet together swings with dominant grip on - back and forth continuously with the speed sticks. Just a few sets with the green and blue have really helped lately. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

So... it's been awhile.  Life has been busy and I've been playing but not really talking about my game at all.  It's time I get back out here and contribute again.  

1. Average less than 24' from hole on greens hit in regulation.  I've been keeping this stat since 2015 and I've only ever averaged less than that on time, in 2021 when I averaged 22.90' that season.  Clearly, closer proximity will lead to more birdies.  I need to get better at hitting greens and giving myself more makeable birdie looks.

2. Play 50+ rounds of golf.  For the last 3 years, I played at a club.  I was able to play between 80 - 115 rounds each of those years.  I'm leaving the club at the end of January which means less access.  Still... my hope is to play about once per week just to keep things moving forward.

3. Maintain a single digit handicap index.  I began 2022 with an 11.9 index.  By the beginning of April, I had it down to a 9.8 index.  I got it as low as 5.8 in the middle of August before it started creeping up again.  I currently sit at 9.8 (with a soft cap) and I would like to keep it in single digits for the entirety of 2023.  

4. Win at least 1 tournament and qualify for the National Championship in October.  I will be returning to tournament golf via the Golfweek Amateur Tour this season.  I believe I need to finish in the Top 10 of the point standings to be eligible to play in the three day National Championship in October.  I'd like to find my game early and win a couple events, but... realistically, my goal is to win at least 1 this season.

5. Hit 50% of fairways or more.  The highest percentage I've ever hit was in 2017 when I hit 46.64% of fairways that year.  It's something I've struggled with since I began the game.  I feel like hitting more fairways should be something that comes with playing more golf, but... in reality, it's just something I battle.  Often times, if my tee game is solid... my score is solid.  If I struggle off the tee... I'll throw up an ugly score.  

6. Average 1 birdie or more per round.  This past year was my best year of my life in terms of making birdies.  With 4 days to go and 1 or 2 more rounds to go before I end my season... I've made 112 birdies in 112.5 rounds.  I'm inconsistent when it comes to making birdies, however.  Multiple times in 2022, I went 3.5 rounds without making a birdie.  Currently, I'm dry for my previous 2.5 rounds.  I make up for it by making multiple birdies in 28 rounds, but it's discouraging to have a dry spell.  I'd like to score better when opportunities present themselves.  Whether that's on short holes or attackable par 5's... I don't really care.  I just want to average more than a birdie a round in 2023.

That's it for my goals.  I'm hopeful it's a successful season on all fronts, but... I'm just glad to be back in tournament golf and glad to be back here posting!

CY

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

This will be the year I finally get a GHIN. Really want to see where I'm at and to use that as a starting point to improvement. I plan to spend the winter getting stronger/more endurance/more flexible. I also have a dome nearby that I'll visit 2x weekly as I really need to improve off the tee. 2022 saw way to many penalty shots from errant tee shots. I plan on doing this with slow, concentrated practice on what I am trying to do with my swing. 

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• 1 month later...

My main goal this year is improving my game and winning trophies in club tournaments.

Game improvement

The idea is to get my average score down from the mid 80's averages to low 80's or mid 70's.  I have only broken 80 once or twice so far.  The goal is between 75 and no more than 85 on any round, though I admit it might be difficult, especially when I have a bad day.  The average should be between 78 and 82 ideally.  Also, my handicap should reduce to ideally single digit.

Tournaments

I want to win a few tournaments and prizes, especially at my home club.  I already got the runner up spot in a tournament in January so to some extent this goal is achieved, though I want it to be a regular feature.

• Like 2

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

On 12/27/2022 at 3:24 PM, Fairway_CY said:

So... it's been awhile. Life has been busy and I've been playing but not really talking about my game at all….

CY

Yes, it has been a long time. Welcome back. You must have worked on your game the past 4 years in light of the handicap numbers mentioned. Maybe an update in your blog or in the appropriate forum could bring us up to date with your game improvement.

Brian Kuehn

I'm going to take a different approach with goals this year. I'm not interested at all in improving my handicap or reaching certain scoring milestones. This year for me will really be about improving how I practice with a few other things tossed in.

1. Enjoy playing golf: It's not that I don't enjoy playing golf. I have a fun group that plays weekly, and occasionally we travel to cool courses. But I want to examine my mindset on the course a bit and improve my enjoyment of the game. I think I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself to perform a certain way, and that sort of supersedes the fact that the game is supposed to be fun. When I played Pasatiempo last year, I kind of let go of that, and just focused on enjoying the game and the course. I had a fantastic time, and I scored okay too.
  2. Fix my palmy grip: Every time I think I have the grip thing worked out, I'll do a spot check and it's getting palmy. So I am going to somehow weave this into everything I do to try and get it right this year. I want to do static and active grip work at least 3x a week until this is fully ingrained.
  3. Learn to go slow in practice: I can go really slow in lessons exaggerating feels and positions. I can even do it when I am working without a ball indoors. But as soon as I am hitting balls in my practice area, I unconsciously speed up. I start slow, and then within 5-10 swings, I am back at full speed without even knowing it. This happens even when I am monitoring my speed with launch monitor. I'm not sure how to accomplish this other than to just do it.
  4. Learn to stick to priority piece: I often jump the gun with moving on from my priority piece. After a lesson I will dedicate practice time to what I am asked to work on. But in a week or two, I con myself into thinking "I've got it" and sort of improvise what I want to work on next. Or on some occasions I give up on a change prematurely because it feels odd, or because I am not seeing rapid success. So this year I will not deviate from priority piece unless I get confirmation that I've made a change. And I am going to accept regression or weird feelings for the sake of the process.
  5. Speed training: I did Superspeed through most of 2020 and 2021 and gained speed and distance. This also happened to be the period where I improved my scores the most, going from high teens handicap to around 10. At one point I had a max of driver speed 117 mph, and was averaging around 113-114 mph. I think I am down to around 108-110 mph average now. I have a Stack System, so I am going to go through the program this year.
  6. Short game: I have an okay short game; usually I can get on the green from all but the most awkward spots, but not often close enough to the hole where I am likely to 1-putt. I am going to practice short game 2X a week. Unfortunately it is into a net, but with Mevo+ I think I can at least get some decent feedback on the shots.
  7. Green reading: I play most of my golf at one course, where I know the greens well, and also have a greens book. I want to be able to read greens effectively everywhere I play. My plan is to do Aimpoint when I visit Erie for GEARS.
  8. GEARS: Get to Erie for my GEARS session. I get a lot from the GC4 and cameras in my lessons, but GEARS really takes it to a completely different level.
  • Like 2

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Darkfrog said:
  • Green reading: I play most of my golf at one course, where I know the greens well, and also have a greens book. I want to be able to read greens effectively everywhere I play. My plan is to do Aimpoint when I visit Erie for GEARS.
  • GEARS: Get to Erie for my GEARS session. I get a lot from the GC4 and cameras in my lessons, but GEARS really takes it to a completely different level.

Sounds good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To consistently hover around 45 on our nine hole course. But right now to talk my wife down off the ledge after telling her I already paid for my season pass on my fixed income. 
(she makes a good paycheck still). 

whats In the bag. 
Callaway epic max LS

Cobra Fmax 3,5 woods 

Titleist 4 hybrid 

5,6,7,8,9,pw,S,gap,60 cobra ltdx 

sabertooth putter

I'm all about improving my short game and putting greatly this year.

• Like 1

Driver: :ping: G425 Max
3 & 5 Wood: :ping: G425 Max
4 Hybrid:ping: G425
Irons 5-P: :ping: G425
Wedges: :ping: 4.0 Glide (50, 54, 58)
Putter: :ping: Prime Tyne 4

Ball: :titleist:  Tour Speed

Well, as someone who just hasn't played much in the last 20 years, I'd like to actually get some rounds in this year with my Dad. I just don't get to see him very often (I'm in CA, he's in OH) and I'd like to at least get around the course like I know what I'm doing when I visit him or he visits me. (And beating him would be nice too, just saying)

My main immediate goal is to break 100. It's been 20+ years since I've been able to, but I really haven't tried much. I think I've played about 8 rds of golf in the past 15 yrs, and only 9 holes since my lower back surgery in 2013. Rusty or not, I just shouldn't be throwing up such bad scores when I play. 

1. Practice something at least once a week - and be focused during my limited practice time

2. Focus on being smooth and not try to kill the ball

3. Play smarter when I make it out there - and stop losing so many balls

4. Document some rds & practices. 

5. Find someone local to at least play 9-18 holes a month with

11 minutes ago, Voltron1 said:

Well, as someone who just hasn't played much in the last 20 years, I'd like to actually get some rounds in this year with my Dad. I just don't get to see him very often (I'm in CA, he's in OH) and I'd like to at least get around the course like I know what I'm doing when I visit him or he visits me. (And beating him would be nice too, just saying)

My main immediate goal is to break 100. It's been 20+ years since I've been able to, but I really haven't tried much. I think I've played about 8 rds of golf in the past 15 yrs, and only 9 holes since my lower back surgery in 2013. Rusty or not, I just shouldn't be throwing up such bad scores when I play. 

1. Practice something at least once a week - and be focused during my limited practice time

2. Focus on being smooth and not try to kill the ball

3. Play smarter when I make it out there - and stop losing so many balls

4. Document some rds & practices. 

5. Find someone local to at least play 9-18 holes a month with

Best way to break a hundred? Use only the clubs that won’t get you in trouble. 3 wood 7 iron pw and putter will get you there. Or close to it. Imho. 

• Like 1

whats In the bag. 
Callaway epic max LS

Cobra Fmax 3,5 woods 

Titleist 4 hybrid 

sabertooth putter

5 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

Best way to break a hundred? Use only the clubs that won’t get you in trouble. 3 wood 7 iron pw and putter will get you there. Or close to it. Imho. 

Agreed, and that's what I'll need to do next time I play. I just have a special talent where I can put any club OB at any time. I tried using a hybrid to tee off on all but one hole during my only round of the year. Still lost 3 balls off the tee and shot a 56. At least there's pretty much nowhere to go but up. 

That reminds me - I also need to learn how far I actually hit my clubs, because I really just don't know. I have a rough idea, but I'm just guessing. 

Much appreciated on the advice. I must play smarter for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Voltron1 said:

Agreed, and that's what I'll need to do next time I play. I just have a special talent where I can put any club OB at any time. I tried using a hybrid to tee off on all but one hole during my only round of the year. Still lost 3 balls off the tee and shot a 56. At least there's pretty much nowhere to go but up. 

That reminds me - I also need to learn how far I actually hit my clubs, because I really just don't know. I have a rough idea, but I'm just guessing. 

Much appreciated on the advice. I must play smarter for sure. 

Generally it breaks down like this 

D= 220+
3w=200+
5i= 190+
6i= 170+
7i= 150+
8i= 140+
9i= 130+
pw= 120+
gap= 100+
sand/60 degree= under 80. 
somevtimes I hit a huge drive at over 250. But that’s rare for me. 

whats In the bag. 
Callaway epic max LS

Cobra Fmax 3,5 woods 

Titleist 4 hybrid 

sabertooth putter

46 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

D= 220+
3w=200+
5i= 190+
6i= 170+
7i= 150+
8i= 140+
9i= 130+
pw= 120+
gap= 100+

Thanks, but I meant I'm not q

1 hour ago, rocket23 said:

D= 220+
3w=200+
5i= 190+
6i= 170+
7i= 150+
8i= 140+
9i= 130+
pw= 120+
gap= 100+

Thanks, but I meant I'm not quite sure what my yardages are. It's hard to tell at the range (at least for me) so I just focus on solid contact and trying to keep it straight. NOTE - I'm not a newbie, as I used to play regularly from age 14 -25. Then I moved out of state, got into other physical activities, and just lost all interest. Now I'm 48, and would love to get back into it and at least look respectable, but I simply haven't ever been able to put anything together since attempting to get back into it. 

Best as I can tell, PW is around 140 , 7i is about 200, 5i about 220, 3w about  250-275, I don't own a driver right now, but when I did it was about 300+ with solid contact. If I really crank one, it'll be over 350.  But I don't even own a driver anymore. If I break 95 at any point this year, I'll buy another one. 

I really don't know what the SW, AW/GW or any of those really carry. I just can't tell at the range. 

Distance will never be an issue for me, that's the extra frustrating part. I know how to compress the ball, and understand the concepts of the short game and everything, but when I actually get out there and try to play, it's a mess. I'm just lucky I haven't had to pay for any broken windows yet. 

Hopefully most of this is simply getting used to actually playing on a course again and knocking the rust off, but it's really not too confidence inspiring thus far. 

22 minutes ago, Voltron1 said:

Thanks, but I meant I'm not quite sure what my yardages are. It's hard to tell at the range (at least for me) so I just focus on solid contact and trying to keep it straight. NOTE - I'm not a newbie, as I used to play regularly from age 14 -25. Then I moved out of state, got into other physical activities, and just lost all interest. Now I'm 48, and would love to get back into it and at least look respectable, but I simply haven't ever been able to put anything together since attempting to get back into it. 

Best as I can tell, PW is around 140 , 7i is about 200, 5i about 220, 3w about  250-275, I don't own a driver right now, but when I did it was about 300+ with solid contact. If I really crank one, it'll be over 350.  But I don't even own a driver anymore. If I break 95 at any point this year, I'll buy another one. 

I really don't know what the SW, AW/GW or any of those really carry. I just can't tell at the range. 

Distance will never be an issue for me, that's the extra frustrating part. I know how to compress the ball, and understand the concepts of the short game and everything, but when I actually get out there and try to play, it's a mess. I'm just lucky I haven't had to pay for any broken windows yet. 

Hopefully most of this is simply getting used to actually playing on a course again and knocking the rust off, but it's really not too confidence inspiring thus far. 

That being the case. The best advice I can give you is putting. 
Every inch of back swing with the putter equals 1 foot of roll for the ball good luck this season!! 

• Like 1

whats In the bag. 
Callaway epic max LS

Cobra Fmax 3,5 woods 

Titleist 4 hybrid 

sabertooth putter

1 minute ago, rocket23 said:

That being the case. The best advice I can give you is putting. 
Every inch of back swing with the putter equals 1 foot of roll for the ball good luck this season!! 

Thank you. We'll see what happens. 

• Thumbs Up 1