IGNORED

Spining and Flo of Quality Iron Shafts - Worth it?

bking

Title says it all - I'm reshafting my clubs to Dynamic Gold Lites, and wondering what everyone's experience is with the value of doing either one (or both) given the quality of these shafts.

The tools to DIY this are not terribly expensive, and doing the work seem fairly simple in both cases, but I'm curious what experience others might have in doing it.

Edited by bking

10 hours ago, bking said:

Title says it all - I'm reshafting my clubs to Dynamic Gold Lites, and wondering what everyone's experience is with the value of doing either one (or both) given the quality of these shafts.

The tools to DIY this are not terribly expensive, and doing the work seem fairly simple in both cases, but I'm curious what experience others might have in doing it.

Spine aligning and other techniques were really designed for when shaft quality was more variable. Shaft makers now have much better forming and QC. It’s not really worth the bother.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Spine aligning and other techniques were really designed for when shaft quality was more variable. Shaft makers now have much better forming and QC. It’s not really worth the bother.

That's basically what I've been thinking.Thanks for the input.

It can't hurt though if you don't mind spending the money. It's a fun experience in learning the construction side of golf clubs. The FLO-ing makes more sense - you want the orientation with the least amount of wobble in your shaft oscillation. Marking and installing it correctly takes some skill I hear.  

If you are interested in learning more then there is SST puring which you can't do yourself but it gets into finding consistency for more complex shaft properties like twist and torque at impact (multi-planar/axial stuff). 

Now, as @boogielicious implies, does it make a difference to weekend hacks like us? Probably nothing worth writing home about.  

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

25 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

It can't hurt though if you don't mind spending the money. It's a fun experience in learning the construction side of golf clubs. The FLO-ing makes more sense - you want the orientation with the least amount of wobble in your shaft oscillation. Marking and installing it correctly takes some skill I hear.  

If you are interested in learning more then there is SST puring which you can't do yourself but it gets into finding consistency for more complex shaft properties like twist and torque at impact (multi-planar/axial stuff). 

Now, as @boogielicious implies, does it make a difference to weekend hacks like us? Probably nothing worth writing home about.  

I'm trying to find the article, but I can't seem to find it. I think it was in Golf Digest and it was a while back. The article was not about club-building, but there was a quick blurb in there that basically said something to the effect of getting your shafts pured was akin to setting money on fire. 

Dang, I wish I could find the article. I'll keep looking. It basically said its an up-charge for you that you will never notice the difference even if they did it or don't to it. 

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Way back in the early 90's when I used to build assemble clubs it was a popular technique. Funny thing was some guys would request all the splines pointing at their target, others like the spline pointing away from the target. There were even guys who thought the spline could help them with a fade or a hook by pointing the splines away from the golfer or toward the golfer depending on what shot shape they were after. 

Just when I was getting out of it, the splines started coming in pre-marked from the manufacturer. 

Now-a-days it's become kind of a "Eh, you can do it if you want to" kind of thing. There are still some old-school guys who believe in it, but I'm not convinced it ever made that much of difference... even back then. 

Just my 2 cents, for what its worth. 🤷‍♂️

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

17 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Yeah, I have been reading up on the SST puring, and watched one video on YouTube, and it seems really cool, but like you both said - probably of limited value at my skill level. 

Although the DIY equipment I've found to do a pretty solid job of spining and FLO tracing would run about $100-$150, the more I get into learning about it the more convinced I am that splining is probably not going to find any significant issue with shafts like the Dynamic Gold, and FLO tracing seems to be largely about fine-tuning what the splining tells you. Hence me trying to not "over-think" this project.

49 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Way back in the early 90's when I used to build assemble clubs it was a popular technique. Funny thing was some guys would request all the splines pointing at their target, others like the spline pointing away from the target. There were even guys who thought the spline could help them with a fade or a hook by pointing the splines away from the golfer or toward the golfer depending on what shot shape they were after. 

Placebo is a hell of a drug 😃

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

Placebo is a hell of a drug 😃

🤣 Amen. FWIW, I'm probably going to buy a Spine Finder off Ebay just for educational purposes.

s-l400.jpg

Simply place the spine finder PVC Shell in a vise. The shaft should automatically rotate and fix in a spot of least resistance. The Spine would be the spot that has the most resistance. You can align the spine in various...

• Informative 1

29 minutes ago, bking said:

🤣 Amen. FWIW, I'm probably going to buy a Spine Finder off Ebay just for educational purposes.

s-l400.jpg

Simply place the spine finder PVC Shell in a vise. The shaft should automatically rotate and fix in a spot of least resistance. The Spine would be the spot that has the most resistance. You can align the spine in various...

I don’t think it’s going to make a difference in performance either but if you’re interested in doing it as a hobby why not, right?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

I don’t think it’s going to make a difference in performance either but if you’re interested in doing it as a hobby why not, right?

Yep.  At best, I'll learn something. At worst, when my buddies talk about checking spines when reshafting, I can talk them off that ledge at least. Right now I do regripping for them as a favor, but hope to be able to share my experiences with them and save them a few bucks here and there. Not to mention helping pay for my stuff.😉

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The article was not about club-building, but there was a quick blurb in there that basically said something to the effect of getting your shafts pured was akin to setting money on fire. 

Savage.. ha ha ha..!

Y'all killing the fellas buzz. Ya know, the science is not wrong and all of this does shit to ball flight. Of course, if I don't get a pure contact but once every three rounds for a it to matter, who gives a shit.. I get it.

...but the science is not wrong. Just sayin.

Vishal S.

28 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Savage.. ha ha ha..!

Y'all killing the fellas buzz. Ya know, the science is not wrong and all of this does shit to ball flight. Of course, if I don't get a pure contact but once every three rounds for a it to matter, who gives a shit.. I get it.

Totally true. I'm sure Bryson DC can give you chapter and verse on it. 

As I recall they were saying something akin to you can detect a difference when puring a shaft, but the difference is so small it's more likely that an extra blade of grass to the right or to the left of the ball will have a greater difference. ... Something like that. I wish I could find it. I remember reading and thinking "hm... I've never paid the extra cash to have my shafts pured anyway." So, I just moved on. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

21 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Savage.. ha ha ha..!

Glad you pointed that out. I didn't mean to imply that the science WAS wrong; only curious about the incremental value to an imperfect swing. It's the old "accuracy vs precision" conundrum.

Specifically for this project - I determined that changing to the lighter shafts, changing grip size, and longer shafts will help my game. If I'm wrong, I'll be able to undo each of these AND add the experience/skills to regripping and minor repair toolbox.

What I've been struggling with is the cost/benefit of what might be more incremental changes like these spining & FLO, strategically adjusting swing weight, etc. - which are harder to grade results and decide to back out. 

12 minutes ago, bking said:

What I've been struggling with is the cost/benefit of what might be more incremental changes like these spining & FLO, strategically adjusting swing weight, etc. - which are harder to grade results and decide to back out. 

To each their own, but I would spent $150 on something like this in a heartbeat. Why take an outside chance of leaving anything on the table?

There maybe questionable upside but there is certainly no downside so there shouldn't be any reason to even want to back out. 

Have fun and come back and share your experience. I think it's cool. Worse ways to blow $150.

Vishal S.

8 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

To each their own, but I would spent $150 on something like this in a heartbeat. Why take an outside chance of leaving anything on the table?

There maybe questionable upside but there is certainly no downside so there shouldn't be any reason to even want to back out. 

Have fun and come back and share your experience. I think it's cool. Worse ways to blow $150.

ALL very well-said and valid points. Thanks. 

As I mentioned in my post  "Shafts Weight Variance Question", I plan to document this step by step and share it here, warts and all.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@bking

Keep us posted on your results and observations. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

25 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

You do realize that if you have all this done and hit a bad shot you’ll have to blame yourself and not the clubs right?😂

Nah, I may only carry 13 clubs, but I have a LOT more excuses in my bag than 13

• Like 1