IGNORED

Erik Barzeski on Fit for Golf Podcast

phillyk

@iacas starts the podcast by explaining a bit about how he got into the business. Some main topics include prioritizing information (coaches and youtube), what to practice and how, and setting appropriate goals. 

A couple other podcasts @iacashas been on:

All are worth a listen, check them out!

Other helpful and related topics:

For more information on Fit for Golf:

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Thanks @phillyk.

Really interested in what everyone here thinks of this podcast. Be honest. I tend to focus on the negatives in things and don't mind it in others; those are the things on which I can work to improve.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I listened again so I could write my thoughts.

It was a main comment that, what is said, depends on a few things: The level of golfer, if they are actively taking lessons or just want to play or in between, and their goals. For example, the idea of taking slow swings to change something. That comment is for specific people with specific swing improvement goals. Or also as you said, want to increase their baseline technique. The people that just want to play golf and get better that way won’t get much by taking slow swings  

The reference to musical learning is great. I play cello and piano. Taking it slow to play right notes first is a great way to play a new piece. 

I think watching youtube for instruction has its place. But more for knowledge than application. Unfortunately many people try to apply every video they watch.

Along with somewhat individualistic swings, is their ability to learn. Some students want the process and the breakdown. Others, that would go straight over their head. But, like you said, I want my students to have some parameters and understanding of their practice.  That way as their swings evolve, they can let their feels evolve, knowing where the lines are drawn.

There’s always that question of transfer practice. Transfer of normal swing to weird lies swing to windy swing, etc. It’s something I talk to students a bit about. Like you said, the swing is going to be virtually the same, except a couple set up variables. I apply that to general “noise.” There’s a target, a distance, a setup, and a flight path. Once those are decided, nearly everything else is ignored. Swing. Like going to a brand new course, it doesn’t  (shouldn’t) matter where you are at, even Augusta. The game is the same as at your local muni. Enjoy the scenery in between shots, but around the ball, wind it into what you always do.

Overall, the podcast was enjoyable. Should’ve been decided early on who the target audience is or the difference between audience. Then, it wouldn’t have to be said several times. Hard to think, talking golf could be wound down to only 60-90min. 😂

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, phillyk said:

It was a main comment that, what is said, depends on a few things: The level of golfer, if they are actively taking lessons or just want to play or in between, and their goals. For example, the idea of taking slow swings to change something. That comment is for specific people with specific swing improvement goals. Or also as you said, want to increase their baseline technique. The people that just want to play golf and get better that way won’t get much by taking slow swings.

Right.

The reference to musical learning is great. I play cello and piano. Taking it slow to play right notes first is a great way to play a new piece.

Musicians are often some of the best practicers.

Along with somewhat individualistic swings, is their ability to learn. Some students want the process and the breakdown. Others, that would go straight over their head. But, like you said, I want my students to have some parameters and understanding of their practice.  That way as their swings evolve, they can let their feels evolve, knowing where the lines are drawn.

Yeah. I want them to understand the specifics of the mechanics enough that they know what the window of acceptable stuff is.

Like going to a brand new course, it doesn’t  (shouldn’t) matter where you are at, even Augusta.

Indeed.

Overall, the podcast was enjoyable. Should’ve been decided early on who the target audience is or the difference between audience. Then, it wouldn’t have to be said several times. Hard to think, talking golf could be wound down to only 60-90min. 😂

Yeah. I think I should have done a better job of that. On previous podcasts I've talked to more advanced golfers or other instructors, but this one might be more directed at regular golfers.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Good stuff @iacas, always good to get a reminder on some simple, yet important concepts. 

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram